SureWest / Scam and stealing

SureWest was my local provider for phone, internet and cable. I had signed a contract with them to provide me these services. When I bought a new house and was moving, I called them to see if they provided service in my new area (same town) and they said they did not. They canceled my subscription (at my request), said they were sorry to lose me as a customer and told me where to drop off the cable equipment.

I was told the drop off was open on Saturday and Sunday and given the hours. I went on a Sunday within the hours I was told and the place was closed. There was a sign that said 'Closed Sundays'. I had to return on a Saturday to drop off the equipment and was told that the phone support is open but not the drop off. The woman apologized for my time.

My main complaint, however, is that I shortly received a bill from SureWest and was charged for 'early termination' of my contract... I called the SureWest office and explained that they did not provide service in my area so how could I continue with their services?? I also said that I was not told of the early termination when I canceled. Of course, I wouldn't have sold my new house so I could move back into their area... It just seemed illegal to hold someone to a contract when they move and the service is not provided in the new area. The customer service rep told me she would check with a supervisor and call me back later with the answer. I was called back shortly and was told that I had signed a contract and they had a right to charge an early termination fee even if I had moved to an area where they do not provide service.

So, rather than face collection charges, I went ahead and paid the bill. I also told them I would let anyone and everyone know what a ripoff the early termination fee was... so here I am.

Va

Comments

• Tr
      15th of May, 2009

yea..surewest is ###ed up.
    i had service with them for almost two years, first year with 10M fiber internet plus TV package. they were bundled for at about $70~$80 range per month. though i knew at setup they told me about the one year contract requirement or early determination fee which was fine.

but a year later i called in trying to cancel the Tv serverice and only keep the internet since i hardy watch Tv (the receiver box is not even plugged into the wall) and the customer service dude ALEX heard i was cancelling a service so he put me on hold and came back 5 mins later said he can give me a deal for about the same $70~$80 range per month and keeping my TV. I didn't wanna bother to go to their local service office and turn in the equipments so i went ahead and said yes (the deal= one year contract starting that day) was not mentioned in the conversation.!!! now i'm moving out of this house so i have to cancel all services. unfortunately i spoke to the customer service again and was told that i have to pay for this damn termination fee although they pretty much TALKED me into the deal without telling me once i accepted their deal also implies that i knew about the one year contract they're tieing me into.

their services are decent thru two years of experience, but the customer service is tricky. will talk you into any kind of deal without telling you what's the trick behind it.
    unethical service provider let's put it that way.
    i wonder how much money they make on these termination fee.
    probably more than their regular operating revenue .

p.s. you can see from my experience that surewest will do ANYTHING to keep you to their service when you tell them you want to cancel one of their services.

• On
      1st of Oct, 2009

surewest makes you pay one mo. in advance, then cheat you out of it when you change to a differnent co. every mo. you better check your charges. i did and had to call every month for credit to my acct. i have 2000 email friends i'm sending emails about being cheated if you have had the same problems let all of your friends know what kind of cosurewest is also contact the BBB

• Pr
      1st of Jul, 2010

Surewest, as a company, have no business ethics. They, in private, laugh at their customers and how stupid they are. They need to be put out of business. I know all of this because I am an employee in Kansas.

• Du
      3rd of Jun, 2011

Surewest just raised my rates even though I am in a 2 year contract-very shady if you ask me.

4th of Jun, 2011

Why is surewest the only isp provider in Rocklin CA
    This is like tax, no choice

4th of Jun, 2011

Who do you complain.
    Surewest is the only ISP and they price gouge
    Comcast provides 12Mbps for 35 dollars a month
    Surewest being the only provider here charges 60 dollars for 6Mbps

Somebody is getting paid off some where with my money (and potentially yours)