Smart Step Insurance / fraudulent

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

i have nothing more than the company name that is charging my bank account monthly. i did receive a call from smart step insurance. they stated i had 30 days to review the information they would send - they never sent anything, so i have no information to contact and cancel with. they charged me before a 30 day period was even up. they did not ask my bank account number, so they received that information from bank of america. i am going to the bank today to see what can be done, and if i have to, i will change banks. this is not a good way to do business. if i died today, there isn't any paperwork for a policy they have taken payments out of my bank account to pay for.

Te

Comments

• My
      12th of Oct, 2008

I also got into this mess with Smart Step. Bank of America had a bad habit of farming out my phone number to some telemarketing company that apparently had ties with the bank. I was really getting tired of getting about 10 calls a week for different offers.

The day I was called for the Smart Step insurance in Jan of 2008, I was really sick with the flu and not thinking straight. They said I had 60 days to review the information they would send me and no charges would apply. I consented. I didn't even have to give them my bank account number, they already knew it (which goes to show how much hand in hand they were with BOA).

I never got that package of insurance information. I thought perhaps they just ruled me out and decided not to enroll me. However, I did not notice their first charge until April 2008. I noticed Smart Step was listed as taking a check out and then remembered it was all part of that insurance thing in which I never got any paperwork. I looked back over my bank records and they did the same thing in March.

I contacted the Bank and they said they didn't know anything about Smart Step and couldn't help me. That was when I tried looking everywhere for a number to contact them without luck. This started a cycle of me complaining to the bank each month that they are not authorized to charge. I had to go directly into the bank, speak with a bank manager and explain the situation to get them to stop it.

As far as those BOA telemarketers, I gave them the boot a long time ago by telling them to remove me from their list and after 4 days I didn't hear from them again.

8th of Apr, 2009

I really am upset. It just so happens that my father was reviewing his bank statement and noticed that my mother's card number had $40.00 charged to it and we started looking for receipts that had that amount and sent to that payee and found nothing. I decided to go on line and investigate this so called insurance company and we were shocked to see how many complaints were sent for this same company. But most of all because it involved Bank of America and my parents had been with this bank for over 30 years.

8th of Apr, 2009

I really don't like to complain but in this case I feel like I have too because is in regards to my parents account and trust towards each other that is at stake.

• As
      7th of Sep, 2010

The law firm of Salehi & Associates was recently retained by a client who, upon opening a Bank of America account, received a letter from Smart-Step Protector Insurance claiming that he had enrolled in one of Smart-Step's insurance policies. Salehi & Associates is investigating allegations that Bank of America improperly divulged personal information to third parties and/or that Smart-Step improperly obtained said information. We are currently looking into this matter, and are interested in any information or assistance that other Bank of America account holders would be able to provide. You may contact us at 310 820 3366 or visit our site at www.salehiclassaction.com. Thank you very much for your time and attention.

8th of Jul, 2011

The Law Firm of Salehi & Associates, P.C., has been retained regarding filing a class action lawsuit against Bank of America and Intersections Inc., dba Smart-Step Protector Insurance. Our clients, upon opening Bank of America accounts, received letters from Smart-Step stating that they had enrolled in Smart-Step insurance policy. Accordingly, Salehi & Associates has been investigating and confirming the following allegations against Bank of America and Smart-Step:

1. Bank of America improperly divulged its customers’ personal information to third-parties (including Smart-Step and Intersections, Inc.); and/or
    2. Smart-Step improperly obtained the confidential information in violation of California and Vermont state privacy laws; and/or
    3. After Smart-Step obtained such confidential information, its agents directly or indirectly contacted Bank of America account holders via telemarketers and solicited them to purchase accidental death insurance; and/or
    4. Bank of America and/or Smart-Step thereafter withdrew funds directly from Bank of America customer accounts, on a monthly basis, without the proper consent of these customers.

Salehi & Associates, in its continuing discovery of this case is greatly interested in any information or assistance that Bank of America account holders and/or Smart-Step insureds may have, specifically from residents of the State of Vermont or California where there are strict privacy laws. We may be reached at (800) 428-0304, or for more information please visit our site at www.salehiclassaction.com. Thank you very much for your time and attention.