Scooter Depot / Terrible service

1 15705 Arrow Hwy. Suite 1Irwindale, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-839-7088

I read the complaint here and said it was just other people complaining.I was very wrong in not trusting what other consumers had to say. If you buy from this company, you will have to but some anti depressant also.I bought the 150cc atv for my daughter and the salesman was really helpful. When I got it delivered, the battery was bad. 2MONTHS LATER OF ME TRYING TO GET SOME SERVICE, I still don't have a battery. I call and get put on hold and then disconnected.They never call back, respond to emails or have the brains to take care of a customer.If you want to buy something from them, send your money to me and I won't send you what you want and never take your call. That will be the something you will get from them

Ke

Comments

• Pa
      11th of Jul, 2008

I have also call and sent emails and gotten no response back. I received by scooter and it won't start.
    It's no wonder they advertise free technical support for life because it will take the rest of your life to have them respond.

• Ti
      17th of Jul, 2008

It took a while to get my sunl scooter to start and you need gas and read the manuel first. Most require the key turned to the right and the right brake lever depressed and the starter hit at the same time. the kill switch needs to be off.too.

Get used to it Chinese scooter dealers in US need to clean up their act.

If you buy one in CA you may not be able to title it cause the CARB doesnt have it on there list.

Most of us are stuck with them and like dating the overweight woman they are fun to ride but you wouldnt want your friends to see you on one.

Peace.

• Br
      2nd of Aug, 2008

After two months of waiting for my scooter to come, it shuts down while riding it, I had to take it to a mechanic before using it because it would not start. This was an additional charge of $150.00. Worst of all, there is no customer service. This company is a joke and should be forced to return all money when asked for their shady products.

16th of Aug, 2008

8/16/08
    I got my scooter 7/8/08, got my title 8/4/08, had to get dmv ### notorized. I got it today. Now I hope I can register the sob. It is a JMSTAR 150cc, runs perfect, everything works. I have 241 miles on it and i just got 78 mpg. It will go about 53 mph. Its a shame these people screwed me around so much. Probably if i had not got Amer-Xpress after them I would be screwed. Do not buy anything online with anything but Amer-Xpress. Malcolm in KY

• Ra
      6th of Sep, 2008

Thank you all complainers, I feel terrible to read your sad stories but it has been of great help reading them.
    Iwas ready to buy mine SCOOTER DEPOT, but i guess i will get a name brand, it will be worth it.
    Meanwhile, i suggest you ALL to get the BBB involved and put a lgitime complain, hpe to get their act together they have to" LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT.
    WWW.BBB.ORG

1st of Nov, 2008

I just posted my complaints regarding Scooter Depot and jmstar [Chinese manufacturer] and sent and email to both. However, when I checked to see if my posting was in place I was once again asked to comment. [Get your act together people you're starting to perform with the same imperfection exhibited by the Chinese manufacturer and American distributors in question].

I have owned a Moped 150cc Touring scooter manufactured by jmstar for about two months. During the period it has beeen towed three time to the shop as a result of parts failures, to wit:

The first [a problem with the exhaust system that resulted in a power failure and an accident that broke the windshield]. When I requested a replacement from Scooter Depot they told me it would cost $230.00. I purchased an OEM windshield in Houston, TX for $39.50...so much for fair dealing with Scooter Depot.

The second failure resulted from a faulty fuel gage...it registered half full but was empty. I was unable to restart the scooter after following the techincal service instructions. It resulted in another towing fee and repairs to the fuel system. Since no parts had to be replaced I had to assume all the costs involved.

The third failure[ Nov. 1st], also requiring a tow, took place on the highway when the scooter suddenly lost power and there was no response with the throttle. I coasted to a safe place and still await the bad news.

My effort to elicite a satisfactory settlement from Scooter Depot's manager Michael Lee, Gen, Mgr Scooter Depot, US
    12857 Reservoirs Chino, CA 91710 have gone unaswered; while my plea to the manufaturer [jmstar] resulted in an agreement to share my thoughts with Mr. Lee -- silly when you think about it.

It suffices to say Chinese manufactures think they have pressed the right American consumer button [price] and ignored our ability to share any and all displeasure we might have with suppliers that fail to honor agreements and offer equitable settlements for valid claim made.

We've seen in recent weeks China's failure to control manufacturers of exportable products -- some resulting in serious harm to consumers.

The Chinese scooters [regardless of cc class] could make a long term impact if they were properly manufactured and serviced, as has been the case with Japanese and Italian scooters. If, however, they fail to respond to reasonable demands for service there is little doubt in my mind at least their ability to penetrate this now highly competitive [economy oriented buyers] market.

I suggets, if you want to purchase a scooter, you dismiss the lower prices offered by the Chinese and bite the bullet. In the long run you'll end up saving money.

12th of Nov, 2008

I am offering the following update to my previous posting, to wit.

The engine blew [no compression] with 400 miles logged. It is not repairable. Scooter Depot has refused to respond to my emails.

Also, I found out JMSTAR was not the manufacturer, even though the Bill of Sale claims they are. JMSTAR attaches all three EPA plates with rivets; mine were attached with screws. The Shanghai JMSTAR rep advised me they were pirated [knock offs].

I have notified the San Bernardino District attorney to investigate Scooter Depot, et al., for possible fraud. Check your Bill of Sale and if JMSTAR is listed then check your EPA plates, and if like myself you, too, have been screwed I suggest you add your name to the DA's list [da@dasbcounty.gov]

12th of Nov, 2008

Dear Victims of Scooter Depot:

My previous comments directed at Scooter Depot, as it applies to may particular case only, were incorrect.

I finally managed to speak with Mr. Michael Lee, Manager of Scooter Depot --offices in Chino CA -- and he told me Scooter Depot is in effect an 'order drop' web site and nothing more. They did, however [and this is where the thred started] issue a confirmation of my order noting their Irwindale, CA office as the issuing agent -- poor judgment on their part.

In my case it was Scooter Nitro that was paid and actually delivered the bogus end product -- a JMSTAR knock off that is poorly manufactured and an unreliable knock off that almost took my life.

The fact being Scooter Depot, Chino, CA and Shanghai JMSTAR are both currently suing Scooter Nitro.

I can't help but imagine this whole convoluted mess was created intentionally to confuse and thwart disgruntled buyers of inferior products. It's a sad commentary.

• Em
      31st of Jan, 2009

I did enough research re: Chinese scooters to realize that they, like every other manufacturer in China, are overseen by people who don't care too much about quality control. (They probably live large.)
    It is sad, but the people who actually build them get paid about $3.00 per day. I'll let anyone who reads this do the math.
    I am fortunate because, as a teenager, my hobby was fixing cars. In 1992 I was taking classes at a community college (because I like to learn at least a little something about as many different things as I have time for.) so I became certified in small engine repair.
    It may save me a lot of time if the scooter I am buying from a local Japanese motorcycle dealer came with the engine dismantled. I helped a friend with his and we had to smooth out the ports. (Which is where fuel comes in one and exhaust goes out the other.) All we had to do was gently grind the flaws away using a cordless drill. It was so easy that I can't understand why it wasn't done at the factory, where they have drill presses. It would only take 30 seconds to do each engine.
    The point of this is: if it looks to good to be true, it looks like it will truly need some work. I also want to add that I may have purchased my scooter online if it wasn't for these blogs. One place offered a 3% discount if you tranferred the money from your bank acct. That would have been a disaster, but I avoided it because of these blogs.
    I would suggest that anyone wanting a Chinese scooter purchase one locally. So, if anything goes wrong you can go directly to them and they won't be able to put you on hold. (After reading these blogs, I would no longer consider buying one over the "net" .)
    Life is filled with good ideas & intentions. It is sad that that there are always some greedy people who take advantage of whoever, & whatever, they can. Isn't it ironic that the new "King" of the Ponzi Scheme's last name is Madeoff? They should send him to a Chinese prison. "Club Red instead of Club Fed."
    I hope I was able to contribute some insight others can use when they try to decide if they want to buy a Chinese scooter. I know I would have made a bad decision if it weren't for this blog site. (As well as the ones that talk about straightening things out, upgrading, as well as the theories behind the QMJ engine & the CVT transmission.)
    E.L.Randon

• Je
      19th of Jun, 2009

I bought a Scooter from ScooterDepot and had a pretty good experience. I ended up going back and buying one for my wife too. The bikes did not come with a manual, but when I called the support dept. they were able to email me one. I've called back a few times and the people who answer the phone were nice and overall I'd recommend them to anyone. They have been in business for longer than most all other companies and it seems they do care about the customers they sell vehicles to.

• El
      10th of Jul, 2009

I just recieved My scooter today. Yes, I knew it was a chinese produced moped, and that's why the price was so cheap. The reason I went ahead and bought it is because, even though items aren't name brand, it doesn't mean they wont function the same. Look at all the generic items there are out there...and it's all the same. So yes, do not buy if you dont know some of your way around a bike. I did have to assemble and charge the battery myself, which I found suprising. As well as maintenance to the carborator due to too low idle rpms. But nothing too complicated. I'm 18 myself, and so far so good, I've contacted tech support a few times and they were overall helpful. Except for the last guy said that there was faulty wiring in my starter switch and I'd have to rewire it myself. I checked, nothing wrong. Guess why the bike wouldn't start? The kickstand was down. Apparently, the kickstand is also a kill switch and it took my own frustration to figure that out, not a tech support guy telling me to rewire my new moped. So useless maintenance was done and an extra hour of work for no reason, but I will keep updated on how the bike is running. Everything takes a little work, just take the time to do it, and life usually runs smoothly.
    Let's hope my bike does the same.

Until the next update...
    Elliot

• Je
      15th of Jul, 2009

DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!! They have horrrible service! I ordered 2 mopeds from them...it took almost 2 weeks to get them and one was the WRONG color...had to send it back and took over 2 weeks to get the second one...even though they told me TWICE they put a rush delivery on the order...bullllcrap...bunch of liars. The titles also took FOREVER to get and without the titles, cant register them. I would not refer anyone to buy from them...very bad service and don't care for their customers. NOT A GOOD COMPANY!

• Ji
      3rd of Aug, 2009

I ordered a 150 cc scooter from Scooter Depot, and have been told it is
    on the truck, should be here by the end of this week. So far I am not
    impressed with their customer service, and as far as getting an answer on e-mail...forget it! In the literature on their web site I read
    they are supposed to let you know when the product it shipped and also the tracking info. Well, I'm still waiting and have not received
    anything as yet (1 week!) As far as the scooter is concerned, I hope I
    do not get a lemon as some others have. I will withhold judgement on
    it until I get the scooter.

• Mi
      5th of Sep, 2009

I have purchased 50 products, as I am a dealer and I guess that is where attitude counts, when we are upset people are less responsive, when we react with a better attitude, oyhers are more willing to help, no company is perfect, and yes, I have had some problems, yet so what if you buy a product for 35 percent of an in state purchase and you need a professional to help? Do people expect perfection?I have dealt with them for months and developed a relationship, just took a bike back as it was to small for the rider, and opgrated him. Did I make money, no, yet that is business, I am sure that many have had real issues, yet let us be real, Michael, Dealer.

• Sc
      2nd of Jan, 2010

Don't be agravated by your previous Chinese motorsport experience, change it! We at scrappydogscooters.com are committed to customer service and realistic pricing. We stock many parts for chinese vehicles, and ship them right the same day. We guarantee satisfaction fully and completely. We are a Las Vegas all American company, seeking to help good ol' Americans just wanting a good product at a good price. Is that too much to ask? Call 702-689-9266 or email at service@scrappydogscooters.com to see if we can help you with your scooter, atv, or motorcycle parts needs.

• St
      22nd of Jan, 2010

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! WORST experience. I don't say that lightly. When you encounter companies like this, you should run for the hills. Don't order from them, or you have a nightmare on your hands for days and weeks.

• Mc
      19th of Feb, 2010

I called about Scooter Depot's advertised prices and found that these were bogus! For example, the JM26 is advertised at $579, but is actually $850 w the 6-mo warrantee and $199 for shipping (neither of which was indicated in the ad). since the 6-mo warrantee is not optional, it should be included in the ad price and, of course, shipping cost should be noted up-front. I mentioned this to the Scooter Depot rep, but he acted clueless. I was ready to purchase this scooter, but after my call I decided to research further. Fortunately, I came across this website. I would suggest calling the BBB and Chamber in Chico and then following up with Calif Off of Consumer Affairs in addition to the State Attorney General's Office.

6th of Apr, 2010

I bought a JMStar 2008 150CC Scooter and I am having trouble finding a rear rim for it. I need this opart ASAP and would appreciate anyone helping me find this part. Thanks

• Cy
      3rd of Oct, 2010

I recently bought a motorcycle from you guys. having never bought somthing this big over the internet I was a little aprehensive. After purchasing I did some research on your company. I seen a few negative reviews and did not realize that was a small snapshot of what was what most companies would have selling that volume. I call back very paniced and spoke to Anna I must have spoke to her many time and every time she has been very polite and professional. I can only imagine how hard it is for this wonderfull lady to deal with people like me. Altho I am never derogitory I know I can be a pain as I have ADD and will call often. That being said I would like to apologise to Anna and any one else I gave a hard time to. I would also like to point out to anyone on the fence about purchasing from you guys to set there mind at ease. I recieve the bike and title from you guys in a timly manner in perfect condition. Also with the assemble videos you have online assemble was a brease. You will have my business again and again as I will be purchasing a dune buggy soon for my grandson. Thanks again guys Mark Hammonds