SalesForce.com / billing

If you go with SalesForce, you better be in it for the long haul. Even if you sign up for quarterly billing, there is no way to cancel. The minimum contract length is one year, and even if you decided that you don't like after 2 months, you will have to pay for the remaining 10 months.

Why?

Because the investors would not be happy. To SalesForce, investors are more important than customers. I quote one of their sales reps:

"I understand your frustration and wish that there was more that I could do. I'm sure you can appreciate that you are not the only company who has asked us for special consideration to get out of a contract early. However, as a public company our auditors and investors would not be happy if we granted this wish to you and other companies who are requesting to back out of their commitment. This hurts our company as well when contracts are not fulfilled and ultimately renewed. "

I think this sums it up pretty nicely. We will definitely never use their services anymore, as we now have to pay for their service for another 9 months even though we're not using it.

Well, at least the investors are happy.

Comments

• Om
      13th of Sep, 2009

I just posted the following comment on another Salesforce.com complaint, without realising that there was a complaint identical to the issue that we are facing! Just for completness:

I am having difficulties with cancelling my existing Salesforce.com contract. While I cannot shy away from the fact that we should have in hindsight read the small print, for all practical purposes - not many people do (credit cards anyone?).

I think it's only fair that a firm that so clearly advertises itself on providing access on a per month, per user basis should allow it's customers to exit on a per user, per month basis.

I've written a little more about this issue on my blog - http://www.omarkassim.com/2009/09/12/salesforce-com-no-refund-can-i-sell-my-license/

If I can't get a refund, can I sell my license?

• Za
      7th of Jun, 2010

Agreed. Salesforce.com is the worst! No only do you have to read the fine print, but you have to assume that they will enforce every last comma and period, even (or especially) since their product and service are so abyssmal.

We also tried to get out of our contract at the very beginning (within a few days of signing). They held our feet to the fire, implying a lawsuit if we tried to cancel. That was over two years ago. We stuck with this very expensive, very user-unfriendly system until our contract was up. But then it got even worse! Our newest sales rep (our third or fourth in two years) said that we didn't have to renew, and would go on a month-to-month basis. I said that would work while we looked for a replacement CRM. Next thing I knew, they charged our credit card for the next 6 month period. I called asked for an explanation of the charge. I got and invoice and a new contract. I explained that we hadn't agreed to that, but were expecting a month-to-month basis. He then explained that they didn't actually have monthly billing, only quarterly. The renewal contract had an expiration date three years in the future. I emailed back saying we weren't going to sign a new 3-year contract. He said "You aren't singing a new contract" (his exact words). I mistakenly took that to mean that we weren't signing a new contract. What he meant was that if we did not sign a new contract, the terms of our old contract remain in place. Several months of going back and forth (after cancelling completely and finding a new vendor) and now they are using the "sorry, but we can't backdate anything, we have to enforce our contracts or the investors will be unhappy" line of reasoning. If I was an investor, I would be very unhappy that their short-sightedness in product quality and customer service will be the ruin of the company in the long-term. With Salesforce.com, you can't assume that fair and reasonable will prevail. You have to assume their one-sided contract will prevail.

Only CRM vendors with great products and great customer service ALL have month-to-month arrangements with their customers. None of the good providers require long-term contracts because they don't need to: customers love the product so much that they stick with it for years. Salesforce is definitely NOT in that category.

Run, don't walk, away from Salesforce.com

• Ho
      4th of Dec, 2012

Did you find a way to deal with the unfair corporate bullying from Salesforce...I can't believe they get away with it...can't we refer to an ombudsmentor something, or have you heard of anyone taking them to small claims court to challenge the contract...

• L8
      10th of Jan, 2013

Curious to know exactly how you all got out of the saleforce contract? We haven't even used a service we thought we would need and they won't budge on contract. Why should we pay for something we are not using and never have used? There has to be a way to get out of this. Any suggestions? They are bullies!