Rent.com (An eBay Company) / $100 Check From Rent.com a GIMMICK

1 VA, United States Review updated:

Hello All,
Rent.com promises people with $100 reward when they report a lease for a property they saw on rent.com. They claim that they will send out the check to you within 8-10 weeks of lease reported to them, But this is not the case!! Infact on their website, they claim that the 8-10 weeks is the time they take to confirm the lease with rental office and to send out a check to you.

I reported the lease and it is now close to 12 weeks and after repeated complaints with their customer service, they claim that my rental office did not confirm the least yet with them, and they cannot send me the check. The funniest part is, this guy gave me the responsibility to urge my property manager to confirm the least with rent.com as soon as possible, to enable rent.com to send me the check! So that means, if my rental office does not confirm the lease for a year with rent.com, I wouldn't still get a check!!

I am thinking that this is just a gimmick to attract people and make use of their system, so they can make big business through advertisements etc. Note: One of the rental office told me that they pay $400 to rent.com, for every lease referred through rent.com. So we get only a portion of what they get and they are really not paying anything out of their pocket!

So I would recommend everyone to NOT use rent.com because they would at end of the day wait in anticipation of the check and be disappointed!!

I am going to wait for another 2 weeks (3 1/2 months) and then if I still don't get the check, I will report them to BBB, to avoid other people to not fall in to such traps!

Ga

Comments

• Em
      6th of Nov, 2008

I used rent.com a few years ago and received a $100 gift card in the mail. I remember distinctly because I was so broke that $100 went towards electricity the month I received it!

I think some people may not receive itbecause of the verification your leasing office has to provide to the company. If they are not responsive or you do not send in a copy of your lease, then you won't receive it. I'm not sure if things have changed since then--but maybe that's the case.

• Mr
      5th of Mar, 2009

I work in the apartment industry, and I know how rent.com and other similar referral sites work.

rent.com pays based on the response from the rental office. not IF they respond, but HOW they respond...and their response is DIRECTLY related to what you put on your application where it asks you "How did you hear about this property?"
    if you did not answer that question, or put something OTHER THAN rent.com on it, the property won't pay rent.com, and therefore YOU don't get paid. I have had new residents come up to me and ask about our response to your rent.com request, and I have had to tell them they will not be getting paid because they put another website on their application.

The properties that advertise on rent.com do NOT pay listing fees to place their ads, they only pay for leases referred by rent.com. In turn, rent.com only pays the renter for move-ins that they get paid for. If you look at ads on rent.com, you will notice that most, if not all, have some kind of coupon that you are encouraged to print out; or at the very least it strongly urges you to be sure to tell the apartment complex that you 'saw it on rent.com'. They know they won't get paid, and rely on the renter to remember the right website when they are filling out their paperwork or talking to the leasing person at the apartment complex.

• Gi
      29th of Jun, 2009

I'm in the same boat. I reported my lease in March and still have heard nothing back. It just keeps saying that it is in-process. I wont be using rent.com again. I will tell landlords that I refuse to use it because of the service and delays

• Kp
      23rd of Aug, 2009

I just wanted to say that in 2003 I rented an apt in Federal Way Washington, and I looked at the apt on Rent.com, but since they were around the corner from my previous apts I really didn't need rent.com to decide on whether I would rent or not.
    I moved into the townhome and I would say a check came weeks after I moved in. I truly wasn't expecting it at all. I am assuming the complex knew I checked them out on rent.com and informed them that I had in fact rented there.
    It really works but I guess it really is the apts responsibility to let rent.com know.

9th of Oct, 2009

The $100 reward card is a total scam. We signed a lease over 4 months ago, citing rent.com as our referral source. After being in the apartment for nearly two months, I called customer service to check the status of our card.

I called several times over the next month and was told they were "confirming our lease with management". I was standing right next to our property manager when she signed and sent them a confirmation fax that we used rent.com as a referral source.

I called and I was told that the property manager did not confirm I used rent.com as my source. I was standing right there. I had the property manager call them, this still did not resolve the issue. I asked who they spoke with, since I was standing right there during the call and fax, and they would not give me a clear answer.

I believe this is nothing more than a marketing scam and would discourage anyone from using this company in the future. Horrible experience.