Real Del Mar / Not what they show in a model

I visited Real Del Mar with a Realtor last year. They showed us a model. Then they say, but you have to put in your own kitchen, but you have to put in your own closets, but these fixtures are not what are in the bathroom. In other words, the model is not what they are selling. I got out of there fast. You have to ask, about every little detail about what actually comes in the house. I have never seen anything like that. You basically get a shell, you have to put in any wood finishing yourself, they give light bulbs, but no fixtures. So it seems relatively inexpensive, but by the time you finish it you will be as expensive as the other developments in the area. Oh, and look at the plumbing. I have never seen anything so CHEAP. It was as waste of time to go there, except what I learned about Mexican real estate, and how bad the construction can be.

A  21st of Jul, 2007 by
I had the similiar experience. Don't fall for the hype in the media. I visited with people in the hotel after playing golf with friends at Real Del Mar. I talked to a man who is building his house there himself. He told about problems with the sales office and other issues he was fighting with them about. Does not sound like anyone gets what they are promised form those people.
N  21st of Jul, 2007 by
I disagree that it is not good to live in Baja. I have lived there since 1996. Sure, it is different than the US side of the border. But that is what makes it less expensive. The police in San Diego don't have to subsidize there incomes with bribes, they make a lot, and it is tax payers who pay them. In Baja it is the bribes, and drug dealers who pay the police. You just have to be realistic about what is going on. Same thing with water, trash and sewer issues. Since we don't pay high property taxes to take care of these things, they aren't taken care of. So you have to adjust your thinking when you smell things stinking. That is just the way it is.
A  27th of Jul, 2007 by
I read an article in a newspaper in Baja about how much the Baja market is slowing down. It is not a good time to invest in Baja real estate. Americans cannot take the equity out of their regular homes to purchase second ones. So, if you buy you need to plan on keeping what you get for many years because it is a slower market. There are also heavy tax liabilities on homes that you don't live in for two years, so think about what it will cost to unload it.