Reader's Direct / Cancellation

1 5301 N Federal Hwy Ste 380Boca Raton, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-316-2207

These people will try and take 79.00 a month from your credit card for 13 payments for magazines. They tricked my father and my fiance into to believing they were getting them for free. With my fiance they already had her card information. So I would guess their buying card info from a 2nd party. So always be careful who you give your card info too. They will try and tell you that you can't cancel. I simply told them that I would charge them with "fraud" if they didn't put the money back immediatally. They are a fraud. So beware.

More Reader's Direct Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Er
      18th of Nov, 2008

It sounded too good to be true, and it was. Hang up on them!

• Us
      26th of Nov, 2008

These people called me and got me to sign up for magazine subscriptions. After they charged $80 on my account, I tried to cancel. They kept "trying to work something out" by extending payments, etc. They refused to cancel my account. I had to cancel my cc just to keep them from getting any more money from me. I had asked, specifically, how to cancel if I needed to and they gave me a phone number and then said I couldn't cancel.

• Ut
      1st of Dec, 2008

they call u out of nowhere and say u are in contest for 1million dollars that visa card or master card entered you in( . please.) first of all how did u get my number? then they ask u for your credit card info. they had my billing address on file. they obviously stole it from somewhere . and when i said no i didn't want to buy anything they hung up. they they say there are no complaints against them. yea right. they promise you free gas. and other free incentives. this is a scam. do not buy from them. they should be shut down.

3rd of Dec, 2008

They're calling me every twenty minutes today and have been calling for the last few days. The woman who answers when I call back always hangs up after I tell her do not call.

I reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. It's an easy process. I suggest you do the same https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

There's another page where people are posting complaints about this number which I flagged on my FTC report:

• Bl
      31st of Dec, 2008

These people did the same thing to me they were rude especially a guy named Russell when I tried to cancel they refused. They called everyday at least 4 times with different phone numbers about past due bill that I continued to cancel. Anyway it took me having to threaten them with suing the company for harrassment in order for them to leave me alone. And I still dont believe them, so I'm taking them to court I believe that company is a fraud taking money for services that dont happen and then refusing to let you cancel. Buyer beware!!! The company name is
    READERS DIRECT
    5301 NORTH FEDERAL HWY STE 380
    BOCA RATON, FLORIDA 33487
    1-866-316-2207
    If you recieve a phone call or a letter from these crooks please disregard.

9th of Jan, 2009

i also had the same problem they got me to sign up for these magazine for a low price every month for twenty months i agreed to pay the payments because it sounded like a good deal. a few months later i decided not to recieve them anymore cause i was just not able to read them and it was a waste of my money. i called and they told me that i couldnt cancel and they were trying to make all these different deals with me.i refused each and every one of them and i told them i just didnt want the service.i had even told them that if they didnt cancel my account that i would cancel my card and they wouldnt get any money out of me. they told me that if i did that they would send my name and information to a collection agency. i argued with them for about 30 min finally they said that if i paid a last payment of 75 dollars that they would cancel my account. how sad i have to pay to cancel my account for magazines.

9th of Jan, 2009

the same thing happened to me they offered me a $400 gas card and magazines at a low price. they had all my information phone #, credit card info, address if these people are trying to screw peaople over they need to be stopped now.

9th of Feb, 2009

The same happened to me back in like september and they are still calling me. I changed my cell # and they started calling me at work! I don't know what to do now!

• Gi
      22nd of Apr, 2009

These people are ridiculous! I too fell prey to the magazine scam. When I tried to call and cancel they told me that wasn't part of the agreement. So I cancelled my credit card. Now I get 4 phone calls a day from these people. They even call me at work! They threatened to report me to a collection agency and I told them to "bring it on!" Next step I am taking is collecting all the magazines I have, putting them in a big box and mailing it back to them with a nice little F-U letter. It should prove to be very interesting. These people are scam artists!!!

4th of Jul, 2009
    Reader's Direct - Terrible company
    Reader's Direct

Reader Direct called my husband. They talked him into subscribing to their magazine. He called back a few minutes later to cancel, and was told he could not. The person from reader direct hug up on him, he tried calling back and there was no answer.

• Co
      17th of Aug, 2009

I, too, have been burned by these extortionists. They
    are smooth-talking you into "trying" their service,
    getting you to give them a credit card number, and then draining your bank account dry despite telling them to cancel every time they call! ( Like 4 or more
    times per day).

Is it even for them to say you made a binding contract
    because they have your card number? I for one did
    not sign anything or take out a deal via the intenet.
    Any agreements were oral and on a trial basis. Also, how can they hold anyone to a 5 year commitment
    when they don't even know if the magazines will still
    be in business then ; or if you'll still have an address
    to send them to with today's recessions and job losses.

Anyone out there who knows how to get rid of these
    pirates short of giving them all your money for magazines you don't want and can't afford?

• Ha
      24th of Aug, 2009

I signed up too - but would not give them my cc number sometimes I would get one magazine a month and sometimes 3 - but I never got all of them and I was told from the beginning that it was $13 a month did not get a bill for several months and then out of the blue I start getting a ton of phone calls a day telling me I had to pay the amount in full - today I got a call saying that it was a lawyer that worked for this company and that I had to pay almost $800 in full or I would be suied - I tried to tell him my side of the story and he did not care so I just said see ya in court! What judge would listen to the conversation on tape of me agreeing to $13 a month - never recieving my magazines, my gas voucher or anything and let them win a case over me?

• Ny
      3rd of Nov, 2009

We are having problems with this company too. First off, we ended up getting scammed by several diff companies, but quickly resolved that by cancelling my husbands cc. Just recently, a guy called my husband up and offered him a deal to where they would pay the rest of our $59.80 payments and all we would have to pay was for shipping for the next three years. Well, come to find out, there were actually two diff accounts. This guys started a whole new account with new magazines. My husband got a call from the collections dept saying we owed the $59.80 and he tried to explain what happened. I ended up explaining it to the lady and found out about the two accounts. My husband then called back because I was told that I had to pay the higher amount to cancel to new acct and my husband was told the same thing. He told them that he is not paying anything until the new account was closed and they fixed their screw up. They haven't fixed anything and continue to harrass my husband. We too were told that we could not cancel because we had already made too many payments. What a croc of BS!!! He also said that he was gonna take every magazine and send it back to them.

• Ha
      16th of Nov, 2009

THE BEST WORD FOR YOU PEOPLE IS "I'M NOT INTRESTED"..AND THESE 'SCAMS" AS YOU CALL TEHM WILL STOP...ANY PERSON WITH OUT A WORD...IS NO PERSON AT ALL...BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU AGREE TOO...

• Le
      18th of May, 2010

I agree these people are crazy! I was dumb enough very early in the morning to accept the proposition. From now on I will wake up ASAP every morning! It has taken me a long time to get rid of them, but I finally did. I think I was way more trouble than I was worth. They would not cancell me initially, they kept giving me the same line about having purchased a package deal, and that I could not cancel. I got lucky and lost my cc, had to get a new one, and since they couldn't get any money out of me, finally cancelled of course not before they tried to threaten me with calling at my job.

Show no fear!

I bought an ereader instead, and subscribe to magazines if I want them. Otherwise, NO DEAL. I hope others never have to go through this.

• Ra
      6th of Feb, 2011

please remove me from your list.

• Ho
      18th of Jul, 2011

Unfortunately, I was a victim of these disgraceful people as well. One day I'm sitting at the library studying for finals and I get a call from them. They told me my 'trial period' has run out and now they'll charge me $42 every month for 2 years. Funny thing is, I had never even heard of these people before. I asked how they got my name and debit card number and they said I had 'signed up for a free trial.'

That's complete ### because I never signed up for magazine subscriptions. I'm a college student who has plenty to read already. But wait, it gets better! I never received these magazines, ever.

So I told them that I never signed up for anything like this and that this is scam. I told them to cancel this subscription because I don't want to pay. They kept saying "Oh, we can't cancel your membership because our company already pre-paid $2, 000 worth of magazines for you."

I ended up canceling my whole bank account and started a new one. I think they've called me a few times and I tell them it's the wrong number.

• Mr
      15th of Sep, 2011

I am getting repeated calls from this company saying that my payment is due.
    They said I sucbscribed to their magazine and my payment is past due.
    Last month Bank of America had found the transaction doubtful so I canceled the transaction. Till that time I was not even aware of existance of such company.
    Now since they do not have my debit card information they are not able to pull any money from me and they call me each day to harras for payment.

• Ra
      20th of Nov, 2012

hi my name is ranjana ram account number: 00077865178, i want to let u peopl know that i dont want any magazine from readers digest company. please dont send me any things from this company. iam cancelling everything.

thanks