Prestige Sales USA / Fraud and cheating

Like many others around the country, I fell for the magazine scam. A young man approached me one day saying he was from the neighborhood and trying to earn money for a soccer trip overseas. Like some other reports I have just read his name was Jason and he had a brother in the Military over seas. This kid was good. Jason said that his mother is the lady walking two dogs around the neighborhood. I have seen the lady on several occassions, so I believed him. I bought two subscriptions, and he convinced me to buy two more for the men and women overseas. Jason said that I would receive & $98.00 dollars back in the mail from Barnes and Noble for buying the subscriptions. I haven't checked with Barnes and Noble to see if this is true. After reading the descriptions of the other 'Kids' selling magazines, I decided to check my checking account to see if the checks had gone through yet. They hadn't, so I promptly canceled the checks. It cost me $60.00, but saved me $239.00.

Warning to all DO NOT BUY THESE MAGAZINES NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU THEIR STORY IS.

Va

Comments

• Vi
      21st of Apr, 2009

Yes, I also fell for this scam of donating children's books/magazine subscriptions to fund a local 'college student' earning his way for an internship in Europe.

The guy was clean cut and very personable. His family had allegedly recently moved to our neighborhood and mother could be seen every day running her black lab. Maybe I had seen her? Tons of people in our neighborhood walk/run their dogs--I don't pay that much attention to them. The young man supposedly attended the Univ of GA and was earning money to fund an internship in Europe through the university with the BBC (like many other reports filed)

One of my own children wanted to do a study abroad program with the university he attended, so the story sounded plausible. The young man even said his professor would be following up by phone on each of his sales and gave me the professor's name!

I agreed to fund some childrens books that were to be donated to a children's hospital in Atlanta. Yes, the hospital he named is a real one in Atl. I wrote a check.

After he had left, I went to the web site on the receipt he gave me, www.prestigesalesusa.com, and was suspicious of that site. So I googled the company name and found all the complaints with the the stories being given the homeowners nearly identical, only the university he attended was different! One person in Texas gave a description of the young man with 'some acne and crooked front teeth', thin and not very tall, which matched the guy I had talked with! If it is the same person, he sure gets around. Anyhow, I stopped payment on my check that same night. I would rather pay the bank $30 than let this guy get away with his lies! This Prestige Sales clearing house may or may not be legitimate, but I am sure the 'salesman' I spoke with tells the same story to everyone, just changing the name of the college he attends depending on the area he is working.

If this happens to you, just say you are not interested and goodbye. It is very sad that you can trust no one these days, and this is sad for the honest college students who truly do need to work just to pay for their education!

• Lu
      24th of Sep, 2009

Thank goodness my radar went off... darling young lady..."parents lived on ___ Court, right around the corner... walk the two blond labs..don't I know them? Mom believes in hard work so she's doing this...goes to Ohio State..am I a fan? ..raising $$ to go to Italy... have I been? ... Barnes & Noble is donating the books... books go to Cincinnati Children's Hospital... she will do errands for me because Mom says hard work is part of fitting into the world..."" I called the police - hope the stop her before some other soft hearted neighbor succumbs to her charm!

• To
      4th of Oct, 2009

It was a bunch of lies...

A young man came to our door introducing himself as Tim Hughes, a 19 year old attending University of Kentucky and on the soccer team. He claimed that the soccer team was promoting the sale of some books that would be donated to Children’s' Hospital (located in Cincinnati, Ohio). He said he lived in the neighborhood and that we probably had seen his mom walking their dog, a brown lab.

He showed us a laminated foldout of various children’s books that we could chose from. He mentioned that our neighbors had purchased certain ones so we might want to select some of the other books so the hospital would receive a variety. He showed us checks that our neighbors had written to purchase books and even mentioned the names of all of our surrounding neighbors and said they had purchased the books. He said the books were $55 each, $40 + a $15 processing service charge. He said he had four books left to sell to make his quota to earn the Hawaii trip so he could go with the soccer team. He was a clean cut kid and mentioned my son’s name and acted like he new him. We ended up purchasing 2 books and writing 2 checks each for $55. He indicated could get more “points” if we purchased each book separately.

His cell phone rang while he was in our kitchen and he said it was his dad, checking up to see when he was going to get home since his mom had dinner waiting. We had just finished dinner and there was a left over egg roll sitting on the counter. He asked if he could have it since he wasn’t too fond of him mom’s meat loaf. I thought it was a funny thing to ask, but we let him eat it.

I asked him which house he lived in and he gave me the address and the names of his parents which I wrote down. He said I should be sure to send our son (he called him by name) to see his mom when he was selling stuff for football. After he left, I called one of my neighbors whom he had shown me their checks. They said yes that they had enjoyed talking with the young man and purchased two books for Children’s Hospital. He had told my neighbor that his mom worked at Children’s Hospital, the same hospital where my neighbor had also worked a couple of years earlier.

Later, when I talked to one of my other neighbors, she said she was not able to purchase any books, but “Tim” had told us otherwise. I became suspicious and began to do some internet research on the company and found scams were I learned that the same tactics and similar stories had been told to other folks. I also looked up the address he told me that he lived at and found that he did not live there. After telling my other neighbor that had purchased books from him, she went to the house that he had given me the address for and talked to them and found out that he did not live there and never did.

We now had confirmed that we had been lied to and virtually been scammed and that this was fraud. Our checks had not cleared our bank and we have placed a “stop payment” on them for which there is a fee to do so. But since this person told me his name was Tim Hughes and I found out later that he told my neighbors that his name was Matt, we are not sure who he is. This company only has a PO Box and we cannot find a phone number to it’s nearly impossible to cancel the order within 3 business days as it states on the back of the receipt and hope you get your money back. I will be sending them a letter with the receipts. return receipt requested!

We called our local police to report it, but they said that they cannot do anything without contact information.

Don't fall for it. Apparently they all lie with similar stories.