Prepaid Legal / Failure to Cancel Policy

I called to cancel this service over a year ago. I was emailed the cancellation form, returned it to them at the address specified and thought that was the end of it. Fast forward one year, I looked at my account to find that they are still charging me a monthly fee of $26.95! So I called to aske why am I still being charged for a service I cancelled. I was told that they never received the form so they could not cancel - even thoughI called them for the cancellation myself! WTF So this time I told them to fax me the paperwork and a was told that they would put a hold on the withdrawal from my account until they got the signed copy back. I faxed it back completely filled out within 5 minutes. So it has now been 14 days and the charge was taken out of my account anyway. I called the company to inquirw about this only to be told that the payment request was not submitted and that it would take 15 - 60 days from today to get my refund that they were supposed to cancel in the first place! This is a highly suspect company! The 3 different people I talked to today all sounded like the same woman with a Southern accent just trying to change her voice after each time she hit the hold button! So now I guess the only way to get them out of my bank account is to shut it down. This is the type of thing they prey on - us not changing our accounts because it entails so much of our time to cancel everyone else's payments just to stop theirs. Is there any legal recourse for this?

More Prepaid Legal Complaints & Reviews

Plus Prepaid Legal - they are nothing but thieves [7]
Plus Prepaid Legal - Scam [11]

N  18th of Nov, 2009 by
I also called PrePaid Legal a yr. ago in Dec to cancel my membership after I was referred to an atty that wanted a $3500. retainer plus $$$ per hr., that didn't seem like ANYTHING WAS BEING SAVED FOR ME!
I requested the cancelation of the membership, they said I could not do it over the phone, I asked why not, they sure didn't need to have me sign papers to get it started, kind of a one way street there.
I waited for the paper work and it never arrived, I called again and they told me I never filled out the papers and returned them, I explained I never received them, again they said they would forward to me, still nothing, it has been a year and they have pulled $29. something out of my acct every month and I still don't have a cancellation, I am thinking since I have found all of these complaints of filing in small claims court.
L.P. Boegle
Reno, NV
A  15th of Jan, 2011 by
Same here. It's been since august since I first cancelled. Did it again about 2 months ago and after six months after trying to cancel it they are still charging me. I should charge them interest for what they owe me. Seems only right. Going to take this up a notch. Getting agitated at this point