Preferred Tax Relief / Tax Relief

1 1875 Century Park East 7th FloorCentury City, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-515-1154

November 14, 2007 We recieved a letter stating "Congratulations, by contacting us your tax problems are over". What a fraudulent choice of words. However, we are even more sickened to read most of the americans taken in by Preferred Tax Relief had 3500 dollars taken out of their checking accounts and we had 6500 dollars taken out of our checking account. We were even told "do not contact the IRS we will do all the talking for you".
Preferred Tax Relief did nothing for us. We never heard from attorney Dillon unless we called him. He passively agressively let us know by the tone in his voice our call was a bother to him. Our calls to attorney
Dillon always ended with "don't call the IRS we will handle the communication". It sickens me to type the word attorney before Dillon. No one that treats people the way he does can possibely be an attorney.
So after a year of nothing from Preferred Tax Relief, I called the IRS. They said it looks like Preferred Tax Relief has contacted the IRS 2 times, the 3rd phone call states "Put on hold by Preferred Tax Relief, call ended"
At this point we would be happy with 3000 thousand returned to us. Why were we taken for 6500 dollars?
Our last contact with att Dillon was when he was screaming at my husband about something. Screaming, what a great way to help your fellow man after you take money out of his checking account! By the way att Dillon our son has been fighting for YOUR freedom for 4 years. And will be fighting for your freedom for another 2 years. Were sure glad your safe!

Comments

• St
      22nd of Apr, 2009

This case was resolved, and they did not follow through on the settlement. We had to go back in again and re-open the case, secured yet another settlement (very tough to do) which they then also defaulted on. There is only so much we can do on our end. Since the recession began, we have noticed an uptick in refund requests; we are very sorry for folks' financial troubles, but that does not take away from mountain of work perform for our clients in putting together years of tax records of our clients and getting them reductions and/or settlements.

• Je
      20th of Dec, 2009

Mr. Kinderly

Wow, when I first began responding to you, I did so laughing at audacity with which you negate any and all complaints against your company. Now, however, I find myself growing angry. You really are a worthless person that has no morals or ounce of human decency. I am glad that we live on opposite coasts of the US or I might end up in jail.

How many people does your company screw every week? I must hand it to you, you guys over there at PTR have a great setup for scamming people. The fact that you are still in business amazes me. Actually, no it doesn't, I know why PTR continues to thrive. You prey on unsuspecting people by streaming sweet lies into their ears while taking their hard earned money with no signs of remorse. I am sure that most of your clients would love to pursue legal action against you, but they don't have the resources to do so as your company took what little money they had.

You should be ashamed of yourself and your company. One thing that keeps me happy is knowing that karma will come back around upon all those employees that helped PTR flourish. I just hope that all of us "clients" find out what happens to each of you so that we can revel in your misery. Stephen Kinderly, Matt Jones, David Becceril, Gumecindo Leal, Bob Hanna, Malachy Dillion and all the other PTR employees - may you all burn slowly in the fires you have created.

• Ro
      23rd of Feb, 2010

After the $3500 was charged to my Visa card I was assured by Preferred Tax Relief that the IRS levy on my online savings account would be lifted only to find out later on that the $2500 I had in that account was used, unbeknown to me, in the bargaining process and I would not be recouping that money. To make matters worse, most of it was not mine. Negotiating a deal with the IRS through PTR has been a long and arduous process which has dragged on for almost over two years. During this time I have spoken to Mr. Dillon twice, every other time that I called it seemed like someone different was on the case and eventually I felt that if I didn't call every week, nothing was going to get done. Patricia Lopez, who handled the final stage of this negotiation process, i.e. proposals, offers in compromise and appeals, discussed with me my options. I submitted to her an offer in compromise along with other documents she had requested and which she promptly submitted to the IRS. Eventually I received a notice of rejection from the IRS. At this point, I felt defeated and called Ms. Lopez to let her know that I will not appeal and that I just want to pay monthly towards my total tax liability. We agreed on payments of $150/month to the IRS with penalties abated. I was told that I'd receive the details of this payment plan soon; I waited for over two months and had not heard a thing from PTR or the IRS, so I called PTR. It turns out that the paper work got lost in the shuffle, once again shaking my confidence in this supposedly professional firm. Finally I spoke to a Mr. Robert Kohler who had to endure my enraged disdain for his company. Acknowledging that PTR screwed up, he took the reigns and called the IRS that day in order to set up a payment plan as soon as possible. Well, his actions thereafter haven't really restored any confidence I might have initially had in PTR. I'm still dealing with problems of miscommunication between Mr. Kohler and the IRS, false promises and notices from the IRS stating that my entire tax liability of over $13, 500 is due in the 26th of month - three days from now. This indicates that nothing has been really been resolved. I still have this unsettled feeling in my gut and I think it's about time I submit my certified letter to revoke this horrible company's power of attorney. The lesson I've learned is that companies like Preferred Tax Relief prey on people who are fearful of the IRS. In hindsight it would've been a lot easier for me to have dealt with the IRS directly, not to mention it would've saved me $3500.

29th of Apr, 2010

This industry is filled with too many complaints against representatives. For years I've been telling people to hire a professionally licensed CPA or law firm. Having over 25 years of experience in dealing with the IRS and solving people's tax problems, I'm saddened to see that there are so many people that are falling prey to the many scams and unethical practices going around in this business. The best advice I can give to anyone that is having tax problems is to do your research before taking action. First you need to understand your tax problem and what your options are, then, if you decide to hire a professional or a firm to solve your problem, you should do some background checks on them before you hire them; regardless of who recommended them to you, or where you've heard from them, you should always check them out.

To anyone having tax problems, I recommend you visit www.TaxProblem.org and read up on all the advice available there, it will help you better understand the depth of the situation you are in, and point out what the available options are. You should also check out the section about selecting tax advisors which details a couple of good things you should do before hiring someone in order to protect yourself from scams. (www.TaxProblem.org)

• Ry
      11th of Aug, 2010

Most the people you talk to when you first call these companies are not authorized to handle any tax cases. He is neither an attorney, CPA, or Enrolled Agent which is required for one to represent someone before the IRS.

Most of these companies are sales based, and not service based companies. When things go wrong - they rely on the service agreement.

When you call Prefferred Tax Releif, Nationwide Tax Relief, American Tax Relief, Tax Masters, and most the others, your call is directly connected to a salesperson, not someone who is authorized to handle your case, and technically that person is not legally allowed to give you tax advice either.

However, there are a few tax resolution companies which are run correctly.

One is Tax Resolution Professionals, www.taxresolutionprofessionals.com They are owned and operated by attorneys with no salespeople. They are based in Los Angeles as well. When you call them you speak with attorneys the entire time on your case. I have had two friends use them and they were extremely happy with the result. They have an extremely good reputation in the industry.

Another is Mike Habib, EA, also based in Los Angeles. He's an Enrolled Agent, and also handles the case from start to finish himself. I don't know anyone who has used him directly, but he also has an extremely good reputation in the industry.

Also, the gentleman who replied above, Joe Mastriano - is a legitimate tax problem solver, actually licensed to handle your case.

The key is, when you call a tax resolution company, ASK who you are talking to! Most likely it is NOT an Attorney, EA, or CPA, but just another unqualified salesperson!