PosterPass.com / deceptive business practices

Go to the website there is an advertisement saying that you can get four posters for 2.00 each. Then, on your bank charges you see a charge for 39.80. It said nothing on the advertisement about that. Beware!

Comments

23rd of May, 2007

I had the exact same thing happen. It said four poster for $2/ea. When I check my statement online I was charged $39. There was no mention whatsoever of these other charges. Not even a little asterisk or star by the price. I had to call my bank and and go through this huge hassle.

• Ke
      24th of May, 2007

PosterPass.com - i agree with all complaints, but have never even got my posters, and it's been since april 23. I don't get any response from them. I've lost 83.00 on this crap deal, the better business bureau should know about these people.

25th of May, 2007

The same thing happened to me!!! I just found the $39 charge on may bank statement!!! There was no mention of a charge like this. The order was for 4 $2 posters.

How can they do this. I hope they cancel this when I call??? HOW DO WE STOP THEM??? I DID GET MY 4 $2 POSTERS.

• De
      19th of Jun, 2007

Sending posters to my home which I did not order and charging my account!!!

Beware!

• Ka
      21st of Jun, 2007

I received posters I did not order and was billed 39.00 on 2 separate occasions. I will no longer receive mail or deliveries from you since I did not authorize these charges!!! I was under the impression that I would be billed 9.95 for 4 posters and was I surprised to find that this was a lie!!! I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY MORE POSTERS AND I WILL NOT BE A CUSTOMER ANY LONGER. IF THIS KEEPS UP I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. NO MORE ANYTHING, and I would expect my account to be corrected for the 2 unauthorized payments of 39.00

• Mi
      23rd of Jun, 2007

The purchase of 4 posters for $8.00 wound up costing me $80.00 and another $64.00 in overdraft charges. This site is a stone ripoff stay away!

• Pa
      23rd of Jul, 2007

I was sent 2 orders of unwanted and unordered posters, at a ridiculous price of $22.00 each! The original deal was for 4 posters at $2 each. I never got the 4, only 2 for $39 total! Rip-off company! DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!

• Ti
      29th of Jul, 2007

I took a survey online and in order to get a laptop I agreed to buy 4 posters for $2.00 each with a $1.95 shipping & handling. I was just charged $39.00 and another charge for $48.00. I had to call my credit card company in order to stop the charges. I did not agree to these. Not to mention I just opened my door and another Posterpass box was outside with more posters. Everyone should report them to the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs and the State Attorney Generals Office. This business should be sued for deceptive practices, fraud and ruining God knows how many peoples credit. The box will be returned to sender at the nearest DHL location.

• Ka
      31st of Jul, 2007

I have returned posters unopened and canceled my orders and they still send posters and charge my credit card. My credit card co. demands payment or charges me finance charges.

• Pe
      4th of Aug, 2007

I authorized a one time charge only and have been sent and billed for 2 additional unsolicited mailings. The most recent charge is $48.00. I returned these unsolicited posters and instructed my bank not to authorize any additional payment to Poster Pass. I have also sent an e-mail to Poster Pass stating that the 2 unsolicited cartons are being returned and that I expect a full refund of the payments deducted from my account. I have not yet heard from Poster Pass, but I will keep this on a close diary to ensure that I receive my refund.

• Ro
      5th of Aug, 2007

I Totally agree with every complaint I've read,because all of the same things are happening to me!!! I am going to contact the BBB on Monday to see what can be done about this. THIS NEEDS TO STOP!!!

• Mi
      21st of Aug, 2007
    PosterPass.com - Fraud and cheating!

Do not buy posters from this website! They charge a hidden $31 for shipping which they never disclose. I have been trying for 2 weeks to get a refund but everytime they say "Sorry, it didn't go through last time, it will come in 3-5 business days." A familiar scam. They customer service people, especially Linda, are also pretty rude and short with the customers, although I suspect that this is because they get complaints all day long.

30th of Aug, 2007
    PosterPass.com - Poor service!

Stinks all around. How can an online company not be reachable by e mail? Thats absurd. I have a hard time calling during the day due to responsibilities and if I mail it, you say you didn't get it, someone lost it, and etc.Maybe your dog ate it. You are charging me twice a month for posters I don't want. To add insult to injury, my son wanted one poster for one person, and I know have three of the same stupid looking guy.

I have called twice about this, I am promised it will stop and it goes on. I am calling tomorrow but I am also submitting it to the state atty general, and my lawyer. By the way folks, I have had great luck with the at quite a few times.

Beware, there are a lot of crooks on line.

• Pa
      3rd of Sep, 2007
    PosterPass.com - Unauthorized Charges and Orders

I keep getting posters and called to canceled and charging my credit card for out rageous amounts need to stop this and refund me for full amount never wanted these posters and why are these people not responding.

• St
      9th of Sep, 2007

Apparenty, this is a bait and switch deal which lures you in under false promises, then locks you into an exorbitantly priced "contract." While I did receive four posters, I have been charged for about 8, and there is a current charge pending on my account. I am currently going through the hassle of trying to stop this from recurring, but having difficulty making contact with Posterpass.com. My next step will be trying to work through my bank about stopping payment on any charges from this group. Although I think the posters are nice, I only sought to order four and let it go at that. These kinds of practices are certainly unethical, if not illegal. Be forewarned.

• Li
      11th of Sep, 2007

This place is a total rip off. They did the same thing with me and I have never received my posters either and its been a month now.

• De
      20th of Sep, 2007

do not under any circumstances send me any more posters or apply any more charges to my card, or i will sue you!!!!!!!!!!

• Wi
      28th of Sep, 2007
    PosterPass.com - Undisclosed exorbitant shipping charges!

I was charged $26.00 to ship me a 2 pound box containing 4 posters that cost $2.00 each; what a ripoff. The untold monthly obligation is $44.00, for 2 posters per month; Lord knows what the shipping charges are going to be. The posters are no different in size or quality than the 4 that I was shipped at a cost of $8.50 per unit. Thin paper and nondisclosure in order to overcharge are ridiculous and offensive. This company should be severely censured if not forced to close.

William Oxenfeld, billonline1@sbcglobal.net.

• Me
      29th of Sep, 2007
    PosterPass.com - Not only exorbitant shipping fees, they also charge MORE than they disclose!

PosterPass.com... What can I say??? Let me begin by saying, this is going to be a long complaint. I have included two or three I have compiled from another site that I was posting on, to make a complete posting, and I am adding some more to make a total story here.

Now, let me start by saying, I recently got my first credit card. This was the first thing I ever bought on it. I thought it was a great deal. And I needed something nice to decorate our apartment, because the walls are bare, so I ordered the sunset, moom, lightning, and northern lights posters... I actually read all the terms and everything, but I didn't click on "HELP" because I didn't think I needed any (which is why it says help, and not FAQ, which is what I WAS looking for.) Now, I may have been taken in so easily because I was a little manic, and credit card in hand, I was eager to spend some money. But I was trying to be careful, I was trying to read everything, I just couldn't find the info I wanted, and I was sure that when they said a small shipping and handling fee, they meant a SMALL SHIPPING AND HANDLING FEE. How on Earth is 19.05 a SMALL shipping and handling fee? And that is just what they disclose as the shipping and handling, for the introductory offer, they never, ANYWHERE, on the entire site, say how much shipping is for any follow up orders. Now, it seems that not only did I get charged more than I should have (and it could not have been tax, since I do not live in IL, I live in WA), $34 rather than $27.05 ( I was expecting absolutely no more than $18.00, thinking that nothing over $10 could ever be considered small, especially for something that will weigh less than the box), but from what I have been reading, the charges are not consistant. They are not charging everyone the same amount. The website states a flat rate for shipping, so they can't be charging different amount for that reason, so why isn't everyone being charged $34.00 like I was? Some people are being charged $39.00 for the introductory offer, some $39 and some change, always a different amount of change. Anyway back to my story. It took over two weeks for me to get my posters.I already knew I was going to send them back, as I had canceled and informed them that they would be getting them back as soon as the exorbitant charge showed up on my credit card e-statement. Now, here's the thing... It took over two weeks for me to get them, but they were shipped 3 day priority mail. So what really happened is they charged me, I canceled the account and the order, and then they shipped it anyway. And then when I finally got it, the box AND the posters were all opened already, and one was damaged, not that it matters since they were going back anyway... Well, the only reason it would matter is that it is strictly against their return policy. However I called and told them that I didn't get them for two weeks, and whe I did the box AND the posters were all opened, and that I still wanted to return them and that the post office now says that I cannot send them back "return to sender" like I was told I could do (bet you didn't think to ask about that, did you? they won't say unless you ask, but you are not required to pay return shipping as long as you ship it in the original packaging) and he told me that all I have to do is make sure it is clearly marked all over the box and drop it in the bin, and the post off will be obligated to return it to the sender and they will pay the shipping when they get it and refund my money. I will be taking it to the post office today, and I will see how quickly I get my money back, I'm not sure, based on what I have read, but I hope I get it back in a timely manner.

Here is my post from the other site I was posting on:

I also was taken in by this "great deal". There is one place on the website, if you can find it, under "help" that discloses the amount that they charge for shipping for the introductory order. "Shipping and handling for your introductory offer is $19.05." It does not, however, add up to the amount that they charge your credit card. I was charged $34.00 for my 4 posters, which I am returning, but have not been able to yet, as the post office refuses to take it without me paying for shipping (because they shipped it using DHL), though I have been assured by posterpass.com that they should take it "return to sender" and that they will pay the return shipping upon receipt. I figure that they charged me an extra $6.95, which is completely fraudulent. They can, however, charge you tax if you live in the state that the company ships from, IL, I believe. I could get no explanation of the extra $6.95 that they charged me when I talked to them on the phone, in fact, they acted like I never asked anything about any extra amount at all. I will say, however, that everyone I have talked to at the company has been very courteous and other than ignoring my question about the extra amount charged and the astronomical amount for shipping and handling (it also took over two weeks for me to get something that was shipped priority mail), they have answered all of my questions and been very helpful, I was even told that I could return the posters even though they are opened, even though that is strictly against their return policy. (Should they decide after receiving them that they will not refund my money, I will simply dispute the charge with the credit card company since they have the merchandise and get the money back that way.) I would be interested in joining a suit to at least get them shut down. If I get my money back after they get the posters back, I doubt I could participate on any other level, but I think they should not be allowed to be in business. The posters did not even look as good as they did on my computer. "Museum quality prints"? HA! Yeah right. And my blonde hair is made of spun gold just because that's what color it is. I guess I can start selling strands of my hair online for quick cash and get away with it too, huh? When I saw the amount that they were charging me on my online statement (well, the "pre-statement" I guess you could call it) I nearly had a heart attack. I was expecting like $6, no more than $10 for shipping and handling, and I thought if it was $10 that would be on the higher end and just because it was 4 posters at once. But come on... Do you realize, if they were charging you guys $44, at 9.95 per poster for the auto-shipments they were charging you $12.05 PER POSTER to ship a POSTER in a box that weighs MORE THAN THE POSTER. That is MORE for shipping than it was for each poster, and don't forget, they shouldn't be charging you separate shipping for something being shipped in the same box anyway. So really, how much should it cost to ship that box? I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think that is illegal. I don't remember where I read that, I think in one of my mom's text books (she's a paralegal). Bottom line is, this company needs to be shut down, and they need to be sent to prison, not just shut down and fined so they can open another company to do it again. I bet that they are RAKING in the dough. A tip though, regardless of their return policy, even if you opened the posters, and THEN found the charge on you credit card statement (because in all likelihood, you got the posters, opened them, possibly even hung them up, and then got your statement even weeks later, which they know is likely to happen and they capitalize upon it), roll them up, put them back in the plastic (if you still have it), put them back in the box, write return to sender ALL OVER it, drop it in the post office bin (otherwise they will not ship it without you putting postage on it unless it was shipped via the USPS), wait a day or so, and then call and tell them you found out how much they charged you, and that you dropped the posters back into the mail. If they say anything about "We can't refund your money if the posters are opened" whatever, AS LONG AS YOU USED A CREDIT CARD. This may not work with a bank card. I pretty sure Visa's policy says that the dispute policy only applies like this for actual credit cards. If they refuse the refund, dispute the charge, you have already tried to dispute it through the vendor, and returned the product, and the credit card company should refund the charge with no problem. ESPECIALLY if this company happens to be on their blacklist. You must dispute the charge within 60 (or is it 90?) days of it first appearing on your statement. Even if it is too late, report the company to the credit card company and tell them not to accept any more charges from posterpass.com, and ask them if they can add the company to their blacklist, that way they will be on the alert for other consumers, the more people complain, the easier it will be to get these guys shut down. IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO STOP APPROVING CHARGES FROM A COMPANY BASED ON THE NUMBER ON COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY CONSUMERS. Most people don't know that. if there have been a sufficient number of complaints, the only way to have a charge go through is for the credit card company to call and pre-approve the amount BEFORE the charge goes through. Wouldn't that be nice for companies like this? Where there are undisclosed, hidden fees? If you had been called before hand, you never would have approved it, right? So the more of us that calls the credit card companies to complain, the closer we get to saving other innocent people from this kind of fraud. Keep us posted on any lawsuit details! One more thing, from now on, before you buy ANYTHING online or from an infomercial, type "name of product" reviews into your search engine.... If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.... And hopefully you aren't going to be among the first to be taken in. Good luck in the future. One more thing... I think that the lawsuit, should there be one, should not be against posterpass.com, but against peel.com, take a look at their website... click on commerce, and look at the sites that they run where they are selling identical products for different prices. I haven't looked at all the sites yet, but I know that at least at the coffee one, they have the same shipping policies that they have with the poster site. Scary stuff, these guys need to go down, and they need to go down NOW.

Also a note for those that ordered with a bank card:

Don't forget that they are liable for the overdraft fees as well as the money for the charges they drafted. Ask the bank about this if you want, the company will tell you that they are not, but the bank will tell you the truth, if a fraudulent charge causes an overdraft, the bank is NOT responsible for giving back the overdraft fee, though most will give you back a few of them. The company that causes the overdraft because of fraudulent charges (even if it is fraudulent only in the amount or DATE of the charge) IS responsible in refunding you the overdraft fees associated with the drafts, even if they overdraft were not directly associated with the draft from said company but from a draft directly after it (posterpass drafted your account for $44 twice and then you got $20 dollars in gas and that overdrafted because you didn't know that the posterpass drafts were there because they were unauthorized. Get it?) I hope this helps. I have had some trouble with things like this in the past, and this is I went in to talk one on one, face to face with them to get my account straightened out when I had a credit reporting website charging my bank account three different charges every month for an account that had been canceled for months.... That was a disaster.... If this has happened to you, I suggest that for now, you open a second account and change everything over, and keep the original one open until you get the refunds, and then close it. That is the best way to stay safe. The bank should allow you to do that free of charge (if there are fees associated with opening new accounts at your bank) because it is related to a fraud case. Make sure you research ever purchase you make online or over the phone from now on, I know I am going to, I have a very limited income, and I cannot afford to have things like this happen anymore.

• So
      30th of Sep, 2007

I did the same thing.....I just got off the phone with my bank. I have to cancel my debit card and file a claim....I refuse to pay the $48.00!!!! BEWARE!!! IF THEY HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER, THEN MORE THAN LIKELY THEY WILL GIVE IT TO ANOTHER BOGUS COMPANY!!!! CANCEL YOUR CARD!!!! I received that advice from my bank. The bank also stated that he had a similiar call from another disgruntled consumer with posterpass.com! That's insane!!! I will never purchase anything else online!