poetry.com & Howard Ely / fraud!

1-5 1 Poetry PlazaOwings Mills, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 870-403.8288

Keep getting letters from Mr. Ely saying my poem, poems will be published in some compilation, BUT I HAVE NEVER GIVEN MY PERMISSION FOR THEM TO BE PUBLISHED ANYWHERE but on the Web site poetry.com.

Someone PLEASE put this company/scam artist out of business!

Sincerely, Linda Bentley

Be

Comments

• So
      1st of Feb, 2009

I am a 14 year old girl from Austin, Texas and I was a victim of this same scam! A couple of months ago I entered a "poetry contest" that I found at poetry.com. I received e-mails from poetry.com saying that I was a semi- finalist in a $10.000 contest. Later the same month I received another e-mail from poetry.com saying that I had won. All of this was a fraud to publish MY poem and make money off of it while I sit and watch my poem make another man rich. I do not know how many people have become a victim of this website, but there has to be thousands if not more. Together we can stop this from happening to another person. Our dreams have been crushed by this website and this is not tolerable!

My Mother is an attorney and says we all should file a class action lawsuit as poetry.com has perpetrated multiple criminal actions against all of us. She will be speaking to law firms that handle this type of litigation. We are also filing a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's Office and encourages others to do the same in their respective states! Once she finds a law firm that handles this type of litigation, we will post more information!

Thank you!
    Sonia

• Cl
      15th of Aug, 2009

Hello,
    I am a victim of this company also. And the company has since gone out of business in early 2009, and has been
    purchased by some company named LuLu poetry.com.

• Cl
      15th of Aug, 2009

Oh, by the way, a class action suit is the best revenge back at that ### Howard and his poem- stealing
    friends!

• Ro
      24th of Oct, 2009

I feel all of us whom have put our poetry on this site should be paid immensely by virtue of this a-hole who stole from us. I have taken the necessary steps of filing a law suit against him/them involved in a fraudulant way for this. I have been told so many things and don't know who or what to believe anymore. If anyone involved in this scam please contact me via Email. robtogo4u@yahoo.com or call me at 501-613-6451/501-488-0805 . By mail: Robert Gray 10901 W. 36th St. Little Rock, Arkansas 72205

Sincerely, Mr Robert G. Gray

• Pr
      24th of Jul, 2010

i also fell for this scam... I was a poor college student going through financial issues back in 2005.. and was looking for scholarships and saw their site banner for 10, 000 dollar cash reward. "poetry.com" i had always had a passion for writing and at the time i was also in a very emotional venerable state. I thought what the heck... it couldn't hurt any thing. so i entered on a whim. hoping for just a portion to help with my college education. but i had been miss led... i got the award info in the mail... i was so excited that i did keep every thing. every piece of paper. my mom was so proud she bought a of copy of the book for me.. (she also had to claim bankruptcy that same year.) but $50 didnt seem that steep when i saw that my poem made it on the front page.. (but i guess that too was part of the scam). they later asked that i buy seats to a reading event that would place me in the real finals for the competition. $500 dollars a seat and no hotels or air fare paid in Las Vegas. When i explained that i didnt have that kind of money. they told me i could pay only 100 dollars and someone else could read the poem for me so that i could still have a chance to win... my mom couldnt help with paying and i cried at missing the chance for winning the 10, 000 dollars or even having the expensive trophies on my wall. (but now i am glad she didnt) they even contacted me a few months later about doing an audio recording of the poem to be publish... again for a nice fee

It had been like a godsend, it lifted me up and made me feel worth it for a time in my life when i needed it. but now i look back at it as a huge lie... tarnishing the memories that i once felt. not only that i am sad to say that i even now i have the book title in my professional resume. (guessss i should delete that.) :( it hurts me more that this has been going on for so long... it is 2010 and still they have been duping POOR people out of their money. not only that but crushing the hopes and dreams of soooooooooooo many young artists and older ones as well. :(

/URL removed/?p=2

found this link as well if any one is interested. has all the complains that i have seen in mass yet.

• Ju
      25th of Jul, 2010

I submitted a poem on a whim, and now they won't quit sending me junk mail!

• Am
      4th of Aug, 2010

poetry.com went out of business a year ago they were bankrupt they were also a bunch of other so called poetry contests and entries together under different names.. now they are back in 2010...

I am Amanda Marie Crane a high school grad i wanted to make somehting of my poetry so May or june of 2010 i entered my poem "seasons" into famous poets society a scam done by a scam artist poetry.com by Ely and aurora i recieved a letter saying i was going to be published but in order to be published i had to pay money and i wanted a book so i ended up paying at least 30-40 dollars with my poem i thought people would enjoy it and say "who wrote this? shes not famous but shes good" then in june on the 2nd i recieved an award saying i was in honarable mention (though i didnt win the money good thing hugh) i then thought why not enter my poem again so i did and they sent me the same letter i decieded not to publish it because i didnt want to... instead i had called famous poets society asing about my book and they said it would be sent to me soon so i waited and waited well now its August
    well im fed up waiting so i started to do some digging around i found so much about famous poets society scam and poetry.com scam it was on 20/20 i had no idea, well now i am so angry i called a man he said to me this
    " Amanda you should know something... he told me about how they went bankrupt and so on a year ago, and when they say they are going to publsih you companies like this who make you pay to be published, but not all companies have a system they wait and wait until they recieve enought money to make the books they need and then they put your poem on page one and then other poems behind it making a book well not all books are the same no one is going to read your poem only you... and the book doesnt get sold you can buy it off of them but no one is going to read your poem they bought it from you and published it with your name but they arent going to put it in other books..."
    i am sincerly pissed and i plan to do something about it
    - Amanda Marie Crane

• Gi
      5th of Sep, 2010

Its a big disappointment knowing Howard Ely made profit on our poems. I've been sending my poems to Mr. Ely since 1980's. Like other poets I also received a newsletter with an invitation to appear at the Las Vegas Poetry Convention to receive my award. Fortunately, I was never able to appear because of my financial status. I still hold letters from their company. I also had dreams of one day having my poems published. I would like to have all my poems ever published to this company returned back to me. - GITANA, from Florida

• Am
      8th of Mar, 2011

hello

i just read about this and believe it or not i was a vitim as well i lost count on how many of MY poems i put up there and now they are all gone! i would love to have all MY poems returned to me they are things i have writen and that i my self have wrote them!! it is a major disapointment my mother even bought a book of his "the touch of tomorrow" he made my poem apear on the very first page in the book!!! im sorry it happened to so many people!!! i would just love to have all my poems back from that "company" - Amanda, from Maryland

• Lo
      25th of May, 2011

Hi:
    I am a victim too, I sent two of my best poems in 2001. Anyways I thought I am the only person who was stolen $32.00 US. I will not give up, I will be refunded whatever the cost may cost me. Believe if I meet this person Mr. Howard Ely, you know what will happen to him. Unfortunately many people don't feel safe. Such terrorists are protected by somebody. I am profoudly just terrorized by this, and I couldn't talk util I discovered this forum. Where's FBI and where 's CIA to protect citizens against these frauds. Mr Howrd Ely should go to jail instead of enjoying his life in luxurious hotels.
    The Lost Poet

• Ca
      30th of Jun, 2011

my name is catherine j. taylor i want to know what going on with my poem LOVEeeee call me 1-773-883-7212 between myself catherine j. tayloe and howars ely

• Lo
      13th of Jul, 2011

Me too, I ve been ###d, sorry, by this guy, Howrd Ely, he robbed two of my peoms and my money. Come on ###, can FBI do something catch these terrorists, come on we are terrorizedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd, ###!!!

• Ca
      24th of Aug, 2011

well i guess thats where all my poems went and why i cant find that website anymore god damnit im in lets take this ### down

• Ny
      18th of Oct, 2011

This guy is a ###. Nobody should have been a victim of such a terrible scam. And I'm sad to say I have been, too. I found out Late April, early May of 2010 that this was all a scam. Not only did he steal money from me, but he stole my thoughts. That is the most intimate of crimes a person can commit against another person. I will never be able to forgive Howard Ely for what he has done to me and to everybody who he turned into a victim.

• Co
      28th of Nov, 2011

I too was a victim of this scam & -hole !!! What a total betrayal...when poetry is so personal & close to the heart of the person who is sharing a part of their own soul !!! Shame on you ...Howard...you "SHMUK" !!! KARMA will play a factor in your life...it always does :) Pissed In Canada ...

• Ba
      1st of Dec, 2011

I also am a victim in this scam...i never realized it was a scam till i remembered putting my poem on that sight, i wanted to show my fiance it and when i got to the site i had to re sign up, i did not remember my way old email and stuff so i did so i could see if it was still there, i tried looking under the title of my poem called a lovers correl. it was no where to be found i was pissed. it was my most heart felt poem i ever did. i got a editors choice award presented to me on paper from Howard Ely in June of 2005. for outstanding achievement in poetry presented by poetry.com and the international library of poetry. this guy totally needs to be stopped and punished for the souls he has taken in poetry. i am so glad i NEVER bought A PLAQUE OR A BOOK. but still it hurts me to now just find out he is a scamer. i have been fooled.

• Ra
      2nd of Jan, 2012

Wow I've been trying to login to my poetry.com account and all that comes up is this stuff about lawsuits because they took our poems!!! I've used that site since I can remember to publish my poems. Is there anyway to get them back at all? What do I do? Smh...

• La
      10th of Mar, 2012

hi my name is lorie and i guess i too like everyone has had their dreams crushed. i for the longest time wanted to be a known poet for myself my family and friends. always wanted to leave something for my miracle kids they told me i would never have. but i did! and now i find this out what am i to do with what i already wrote and sent tho poetry.com and the books i paid for but made no money!!!?????? how can someone do this to our dreams??????? karma is a b**ch.

• Br
      10th of Mar, 2012

I think you will find that Howard Ely is an alias. My wife too was scammed by them. However, we chose to look at it as she wrote something good. Yes, you paying to have stuff published is a scam. But do not let them take your dreams away. If you stop just because of this, they have won.

17th of Mar, 2013

hi, i am a victim too, i sent 32 $ dollars and i never got anything, i hope FBI can do soemthing about it, lest all meet victims of Howard ely and get our rights, lets meet through the name HowardElyvictims in one word on facebook, thank you