Playa Del Sol Grand / Timeshare Scam

1 Mexico Review updated:

While on vacation in Puerto Vallarta we were invited to a timeshare presentation. The gentleman who invited us told us we would only be there for 90 min. After five (5) hours of conversation we decided to purchase a timeshare, the sales person basically push you to purchase there membership. Our sales representative Jose Varga told us we could rent these weeks, make lots of money and we were told how easy it was! Lies! Lies! Lies!
I bought the timeshare on 4/4/08. After looking at the contract we discover that all the Playa Del Sol told us was lies. On 4/8/08 we decided to cancel the membership. I call the PDS office on that date and there was no answer. The next morning I call the Santa Rosa office and was told to send the original documents to there office. I certified mail, fax and email my cancellation letter to Nuevo Vallarta and Santa Rosa, CA office. I did this within the five business day. I thought I would received my refund, not happening. I got an email from Jennifer Almaraz the Loan Officer saying, we must have a letter in writing before the recessionary period expires and that they did not receive anything from us, not even a call to make us a ware the documents were on the way. Therefore full transaction has been finalized. Unfortunately cancellation is no longer an option. At this point I have sent a complaint to PROFECO, The credit card company to dispute the charges and posted my story on websites to warn about PDS Scam.

More Playa Del Sol Grand Complaints & Reviews

Comments

25th of Apr, 2008

How old are you? What was wrong with your legs and mouth during the "presentation"?

1st of Jul, 2008

We also were scammed by Playa Del Sol. We told them we not interested in using the one in P.V. We like to travel and were told you could exchange it ANYWHERE. He pulled out a book and showed all the places to exchange.
    When we tried to see if these places were available NONE were.
    The breakaway weeks were a big selling point, saying you could sell them. Lies alright!
    We have not paid the credit card and would like to file a lawsuit.
    Anyone else interested?

• Co
      6th of Jul, 2008

We have also felt frustrated with the Playa Del Sol group. We thought we were buying a fractional ownership and could trade it or rent it or use it. Lie, lies and more lies.

Yes we are interested in starting some action against this organization. They have made us miserable and I would like them to feel a little misery. Have you made any contact with Profeco. This may be an avenue to have our complaint heard and I think that the more in number will make a greater impression.

Colleen

• Te
      1st of Sep, 2008

I agree with the with the person who tried to cancel. We had the same experience however we were told we had to waive the right to cancel. We disputed the credit card charges wrote to profeco and refused to pay. Jennifer contacted us and gave us the same story however we had a paper trail and did get the contract canceled after a lengthly battle. The credit card companies upheld the dispute and reversed the charges so they really had no other option than to honor our request to cancel.

• Ai
      15th of Sep, 2008

I would join you in a pursuit. We were told the same thing concerning cancelling. They also have not returned our calls or emails since our return home. What was the out come of disputing the charges with the credit card company. They are further expecting additional monies on Oct 15th. I don't wish to pay.

• Da
      13th of Dec, 2008

Buyer Beware. Playa Del Sol Group sales people are good - very, very good. My wife and I were conned into purchasing a "fractional Ownership" at Playa Del Sol Grand. I'm sure we all remember the elementary school formula (100% of nothing is still nothing) - that's exactly what you get from Playa Del Sol. We were fortunate enough to use our 1 bedroom every other year with a bonus week in November 2006. We had an absolutely wonderful time. In January 2007 we tried to book our unit for November 2008 - big mistake on our part - there was no vacancy for November 2008 - you must book 1 year in advance in order to have a slim chance of reserving your unit. WHY? Because Playa Del Sol also books these suites as all inclusive hotel rooms. Thay make a lot of money doing this; a friend of mine paid $4000.00 for an all inclusive week there for himself and his wife, far more than giving you a week for the cost of your maintenance fee - $300-$400 US. Economics rule, and Playa Del Sol Group will lie to you to make the extra buck. Bye the way we know 2 other couples from Canada who were at the resort at that time - IT WAS NOT FULL! One of these couples bought at the Playa Del Sol Grand and was not told of the 5 day cancellation period - needless to say they want out.
    As I stated at the opening of this, the Playa Del Sol Group is very good, also slick, well trained, and extremely slimy. I suspect they have a well oiled team of legal representatives as well, because without them they would no longer be in buisness. As for myself I have been caught up in the global economic catastophe, and will not be paying another cent to the Playa Del Sol Group. I fully expect and welcome correspondance from these legal wizards, as I have all my documents and evidence. Once again Buyer Beware - These guys are good -(Scammers)

• Mh
      4th of Jan, 2009

I also purchased a timeshare at Play Del Sol Grand on 12/10/08 while on vacation in Puerto Vallarta. I was told I would get $5, 000 in 90 days by putting up two grand weeks for rental. The salesman also said not to mention this when I went through the verification process. What a fool I was! When I went back the next day to cancel I was told I would lose a $3, 900 deposit. The whole thing had been put on my credit card, so what were they talking about? I was told I could put more grand weeks up for rental and I would get $9, 500 back in 90 days. I fell for it and am now stuck. I did go back within 5 days to cancel. So I told my credit card to hold the amount as a disputed charge and I want to fight this. I can't afford $12, 400 for a timeshare I bought only to be able to trade. I always stay in the romantic zone of P V and have no desire to stay at the Grand in Neuvo Vallarta! Any help anyone can give me be would be most appreciated. I have been in touch with Janice Mercer at Play Del Sol and intend to file a complaint with the attorneys general in Ma where I live, and CA where Playa Del Sol has an office.

• Mh
      15th of Jan, 2009

Well I do have some good news. I emailed back and forth with the verification person, stating the fraud perpetrated by their salespeople I threatened to pursue whatever legal venues I could and to place comments in every website I could find. Well, she brought my request to the board, and my purchase was cancelled. I was so grateful I sent her flowers!!!
    My only suggestion is to read every document you sign carefully and if you decide to cancel, just bring a letter back within 5 days and make them cancel. Do not believe any lie the salesman gives you about loosing a deposit. It is illegal in Mexico to keep any of the money if you cancel within 5 days. Remember to only buy a timeshare if you love the facility and plan to vacation there. From what I've heard, changing for other resorts is a nightmare. I will NEVER go to a timeshare presentation again, no matter what the reward. I have been to a dozen of them, and it's not worth the hassle.

• Ba
      7th of Sep, 2009

Just got back from a 8 day vacation in PV. I had a wonderful time- if I forget about the 3 hour timeshare presentation I attended at Playa Del Sol in Nuevo Vallarta. What a HORRIBLE experience. After learning the details and how much a fractional ownership would cost, we decided that it would not fit into our budget and said NO.

I guess NO to these people just isn't good enough. Not only did they bring two other people to try to close us, we were led upstairs to "receive our gifts". Upstairs was the worst part of it all. They had the nerve to have a ANOTHER type of time share group sell us some other BS that had absolutely nothing to do with Playa Del Sol. After quickly saying no that we were not interested, some jerk claiming to be the manager came over trying to sell us even harder. What a joke he was-Blake or Rick or ###..whatever his name was, he had no respect for women at all. After my girlfriend started crying because of how rude and disrespectful he was being, his response was "I don't care, she's not my girlfriend". DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE. They will suck your money out of you and toss you to the side when they get it out.

I would like to know who this company is that works upstairs, so I can file a REAL complaint.

9th of Sep, 2009

we would also like to add ourselves to the "victim list" of these scam merchants! we bought a 2 bedroom in 2003 hearing the same rubbish about how much money we'd make renting it so it would pay for itself in no time! the sales guy, Chris Bailey, even had the woman representing "Global Resort Services" regarding golf tours on the phone for us, and yet as soon as we signed the papers we were never able to reach that woman again!! we also lost $500 to some scam guy in the U.S. (i will find his name) who "sympatised" and agreed with us re the whole scam going on here, assured us he would rent out timeshare with no problem, and we never heard from him either, and could never get a hold of him when calling!!.. went back down there 2 yrs after and deliberately went to a breakfast sales pitch so we could talk to the sales manager about this situation. this big lanky creepy english man who was apparently the boss told us basically we were SOL...and i don't mean the sun!!

what's really disgusting to me is that most of these people are americans selling this crap and scamming fellow americans!! and the owner George Trigg apparently lives ok in napa california!! regret every moment of that day we allowed ourselves to be talked into this, i was very angry for a long time because i really didn't want to do it and my husband talked me into it believing that we'd actually make some money. every time i think about it i feel sick, especially in these hard times. so please, do not under any circumstances buy into this timeshare, and we would be interested in any legal steps anyone is willing to take against this company. hope this saves you some money and heartache. margaret desantis, california - email: mgtbyrne1@yahoo.com

• Se
      3rd of Nov, 2009

This seems to be their MO. I too was tricked into buying a week at their resort. I bought based on the promise that I could sell my bonus weeks for $1, 000, they gave me 10. So I thought, hey I get a free timeshare out of it. Nope, never happened. Soon after I got back, the number of my sales person and the travel agent were disconnected. DO NOT BUY WHATSOEVER!!! Take the tour, take the gifts and be on your way. Also, if they say 90 minutes, at the 90th minute tell them their time is up and you want your promised gifts. Since I was scammed, luckily it was only for $8, 000 (unfortunately some people were scammed out of more) I go to timeshare presentations to recoup my losses and waste the salesperson's time (so that some other poor sap doesn't get fooled). The worst part is that our salesman was a sleazy guy, but my greed took over and the promise of $10, 000 made me sign up! Don't be fooled, don't buy any timeshare, particularly at PLAY DEL SOL!!!

• Pr
      27th of Nov, 2009

It's amazing that PDS sales techniques haven't changed since 2005. We were lured into buying by the idea of paying for our condo by renting our Breakaway Weeks. We were told by Steve Hemline that a certain Larry Peters of Resorts International Marketing, Vacation Weeks.com in Pompano Beach, Florida, would handle that. I since learned that the Pompano Beach outfit were a notorious scam but nobody had ever been able to shut them down. The PDS people in Santa Rosa assured me that Steve Hemline was a rogue element acting on his own and that PDS had no part in his nefarious dealings. After reading the other comments it looks as if using bonus or breakaway weeks as bait and occasionally referring suckers to to a shady agent is standard procedure and thus PDS's responsibility. It would be interesting to know about some of these other intermediaries and what is their connection to PDS management.

• Mi
      19th of Jan, 2010

This happen to us in 05 and to this date we still have not been able to get in for a week. We were also told we could rent and spent money trying this which also did not work. If a class action suit is done please contact us. My number is 831-884-1295. Thanks Mac and Lisa

• Ka
      15th of Feb, 2010

We bought in 2004 I think and the same things happened to us . . . We were tricked and decieved, especially with the no cancellation clause and the rent your break away scam. The only way we were able to use the timeshare was through trading it with interval international. Luckily, we have probably made our money back by staying in some really nice Marriott's but I want out and do not want to get supporting an unethical company. Please contact us as well (734) 308-1201.

• Sh
      25th of Mar, 2010

We to were scammed, tryed to get into Playa Del Sol in Cabo where we bought 2 bedroom lock off.The first year we couldn't get in so we went to Puerto Vallarta.The next year we booked are 2 bedroom and was put in the old building, it was dirty, next to the road, and nothing like what we bought.We ### and they finelly move us to the new unit.The other complaint we have is the maintenance fee has double.Please don't fall for their BS!!! SHARON GILL PLEASE CONTACT US TOO!!! 1-541-863-7432

• Bd
      12th of Jun, 2010

We reside in California, have been going to Costa Sur in Puerto Vallarta for some time and were also enticed to purchase the PDS timeshare on the representation that Grand Weeks were sought by others to be bought. We were given extra Grand Weeks as well and told we would be contacted shortly upon our return home. That was in March of this year and still no contact or response from the sales reps who gave us their email addresses if we had any problems. We would join any legal action that has ensued or is in progress. We may be contacted at our email address: bjt2006@comcast.net

• Tr
      14th of Jun, 2010

My husband and I also purchased not only one time share but 2! We bought in Cabo and then our cruise line went to PV. I knew they had a place there so we spent all day asking them questions about the Cabo Place. We were talked into buying another 2 bedroom lockoff...and that they would send us a check for $20, 000 in a few weeks to BUY back some time so they could rent it out. No money of course...we were very dumb and I have really just forgoten about the whole thing and just make my $400 a month payments. We took out a second on our home...makes me sick...

They have stolen over $60, 000 from us... So yes, include me in the law suit...these are very bad people..mot only that, but just now I have received a bill for $900 for EXTRAORDINARY charges because of the economy...These people have gone too far...We must stop them and get our mony back! Lorrie and Mike 970-216-6006

• In
      22nd of Jun, 2010

We purchased our "Fractional Ownership" in 2006. Our Sales Counselor, Mario Antonio Rivera Hernandez, gave us the same presentation regarding Breakaway Weeks. We already owned two other time shares and were very hesitant to purchase a third. They also set us up with Larry Petters. They went so far as to present us with appraisals for the other two. Once we saw the appraisals, we agreed to purchase. Selling the other two more than covered our new purchase. Plus, he "threw in" 5 breakaway weeks that we could rent out for $1, 000 each. When we got home, I called Larry Petters again and paid him a $500 marketing fee to sell my other two time shares. He also told me the breakaway weeks would rent for $1, 500 a piece...BONUS! After he got my money, I never heard from him again. Now, I have 3 timeshares and I have spent close to $45k on them.

Our sales counselor also sold us a "One Bedroom Lock Off." This is noted throughout our paperwork. I specifically asked him to define this several times because he was selling us the two bedroom unit. I did not understand why he called it a 1 bed lockoff. He said it was a 1 bedroom unit with an attached studio lockoff. We could use them together or split them up and exchange one. The first time I tried to exchange it together, I found out that we only have a one bedroom. I called member services and the woman I spoke to told me that this type of unit doesn't exist. We were traveling with friends and we brought them back the next day and they toured the same unit with the us and the SALES MANAGER and he went on and on about having the 2 bedrooms.

We gave them $6, 000 down and financed the rest. We were hit by this financial crisis pretty hard and we stopped making payments a year ago. We still owe them about $10k. When they tried to collect, I started fighting them. A couple of months ago, someone called me and said they could reinstate our agreement. I didn't bite. On Monday, I received a letter from a collection agency. I don't even know where to begin with them. Our credit has tanked anyway, but we aren't in such bad shape that we are contemplating bankruptcy. We are trying to get everything back on track. If I reinstate, I am pretty sure from all of the posts that we will never be able to use it anyway. I am thinking about using a "Getaway Vacation" from Interval and going down there in person when we have the cash. I don't know that it will do us any good, but my paperwork is so misleading and they literally stole from us. We feel very violated. If anyone wants to file a suit, count us in.

• Ga
      23rd of Jun, 2010

Is there a pending lawsuit against Playa Del Sol group? If so, can anyone please forward any information. I was also thinking of starting a 'Anti Playa Del Sol' site on Facebook in hopes of generating as much publicity against this company as possible! Please advise, thank you. Garlinsmith@hotmail.com

• Li
      16th of Jul, 2010

I have had the same experience as everyone else here and would be interested in pursuing a group action.