Planet Fitness / accounting/membership

1 3675 Albany Post Rd.Poughkeepsie, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 845 485 7352

Planet Fitness has to be investigated for their illegal accounting practices. They continue to charge my card for the past SEVEN months although I have cancelled my membership last October. Due to immediate relocation I have not used the gym even once. I have spoken to them several times over the phone, sent cancellation letters by mail and by fax. They ignore my request, lie that they have not received letters, pretend they have not heard of my request, etc. This month, May 2008, they have charged my card twice already. Even my bank with whom I am disputing the charges is appalled that such a business could legally exist. Please be aware of joining such an establishment.
They engage in illegal transactions. Their policies have to be investigated. It seems that charging people's credit cards is an accepted and encouraged practice as a revenue generator. Once they have your card they will use it regardless of your membership status. Class action suit is pending.

Comments

• Br
      15th of Jul, 2008

I'm glad I read your complaint. I was thinking about joining my local Planet center. I went through the same crap with Bally's Health Club and I don't want a repeat. I'll never join this club based on your info and the others who have posted their problems on this site.

• El
      25th of Aug, 2008

BEWARE ...Planet Fitness turned my daughter over to collection for a cancelled membership back in April 2007. (Planet Fitness, Sunrise, Florida).

She forwarded the proper paperwork as she was told to do, to cancel her membership, so they stopped deductions from her checking account ... the 19.99, so she assumed that everything was OK when she no longer saw it on her bank statement.

Well... low and behold, we get a letter from Integrity Solutions TODAY (Aug 25, 08) stating they have turned her into COLLECTION for a whopping $417.92 !!!

The Sunrise facility has no record of cancellation even though she received a certified return receipt. They told her to call their billing company, which they told her that she had 1 more payment to make after her cancellation. They NEVER notified her through email, snail mail, telephone or any other contact. They also stated that it is their "policy" to no longer contact former members since they assume that "you no longer want to hear" from them since you cancelled your membership. If my daughter owed one last payment of 19.99 she would have made it, however ... 16 months have passed with no communication. We don't know where the $417 came from, so after 3 hours on the phone with Collection, maybe ????? we will get an explanation. Companies find loopholes in the Law, and use them!

There's more to the story but won't elaborate. If anyone knows of any pending class action law suit(s) ????? this needs to be posted with any information. I intend to speak to an Attorney in the meantime.

Fort Lauderdale

• Be
      18th of Mar, 2009

I went in to cancel membership for myself and for husband on Jan 20, 2009. I told the gentlemen that I wanted to cancel membership for myself and husband's membership. He gave me a form to sign and told me that was all I had to sign and that the automatic debit would cease as of the end of that week 1.23.09. An automated debit was taken out again on 2.17.09 for $10.00 and then again on 3.17.09 for $10.00. Contacted the Montgomery office and spoke with the manager, Anthony Hall. He stated that my husband had to come in and fill out a separate form to cancel services. I was not told this by the other employee. I was trying to close my account that they were debiting from and my bank charged me an overdraft fee of $35.00. So I am owed by Planet Fitness, a total of $55.00.

• Lu
      14th of May, 2009

Just found your post and I too have been cheated. I canceled my subscription in Jan, then they kept charging me on Feb saying that it took 30 days...fine. They told me that I was removed and now I find out that I've been charged the $14 every month as usual. As of today I'm owed $40.70 and there's no way of getting in touch with them. You got that number at the Montgomery office I can use? This has really been bothering me. Specially now that I really need every cent I have... thx

• Lu
      14th of May, 2009

Pardon my ignorance, I just saw that you posted the number...lol

• Lo
      17th of Jun, 2009

This is very scary to me because my membership is up on June 23, 2009 and I AM CANCELING ASAP!! I don't want this to happen to me. I am not happy with Planet Fitness either. My issue is the "Annual Fee" that I was charged on June 1, 2009. For What? To lock in my black card member rate of $19.99 for 23 days? My account was also over drawn because they never sent a notice. I am posting a complaint about my situation as well. Feel free to read the whole story. Thanks for sharing.

• Pf
      30th of Aug, 2009

Because Planet Fitness is such a deceitful and devious company, they make it very difficult to contact the corporate office to resolve customer issues. You are left dealing with a child at the front desk that states they can do nothing. Once they have your credit card number or checking account, they ‘freely’ take your money by creating charges that you are unaware of. First, make sure that you send any and all letters to PF certified mail. That will provide the proof you need in court to show that you cancelled your membership or contacted them. Second, close your checking or credit card so these shysters can no longer get at your money.

When the debt collection calls begin, you should consider suing for violations of the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act (FDCPA - Title 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692-1692p). Look specifically at sections 807 and 808 among others. Civil damages for violations are $1, 000 per violation. Also look into violations of your states debt collection laws. Keep a copy of all correspondence and phone calls. It is very easy to show that Planet Fitness regularly violates debt collection laws. In your motion be sure to ask for court costs, reasonable attorneys’ fees as well as any punitive damages the law will allow.

Additionally you may want to sue for breach of contract. As is evident by the numerous other complaints against PF online, they will ‘fabricate’ rules infractions that supposedly you committed. Make sure that you document any such claims with dates and times as well as witness names, contact information and statements so that you can clearly refute their fabrications. PF clearly wants to avoid any responsibility they may have under your membership contract by swiftly cancelling your membership and ‘claiming’ you broke the rules.

I have contacted an attorney and fully intend to prosecute this to the fullest extent of the law. PF needs a good thrashing in court! Good luck getting anywhere with these thugs outside of the courtroom!

• La
      18th of Sep, 2009

How do you contact the corporate office? I too, was told that there "was no corporate office"...I canceled, IN WRITING, a year ago, and received a voice mail that I had $182 in charges...

Anytime you know of a definate class action against planet fitness, let me know at ladydi9372@gmail.com!!

• Le
      14th of Sep, 2010

Sounds like Planet Fitness USA has the same problems as their South African branch. I purchased a member ship for a gym to be built in the area i was living in. For the next 2 years while i stayed there the gym never got built. I think it was 4 years after purchase and payment of the membership that the gym was opened, I used the place 3 times i think and now i am being charged for areas in fees. I am not sure where they get these areas and they have taken over 4 weeks to provide a recon of my account.

Leon

17th of Apr, 2011

I have information to one of the franchise owners who you can sue directly in small claims in the albany buffalo rochester region. Feel free to contact me for the info.
    samster1044@gmail.com

• Tp
      22nd of Dec, 2012

After 1 year, you are no longer bonded to Planet Fitness. (Contract must be for one year). The next step is not to sign any continuence of your contract. What usually happens, after the contract is completed, Planet Fitness will continue to take money out of your account. When your ready to move on just change the account number. No headaches, no stress. If planet Fitness tries to collect, they have no legal standing.

• Mr
      24th of May, 2013

A larger issue with Planet Fitness is the total lack of care and the dangers of their equipment. The front metal plates on their workout machines are VELCRO taped into place. Not bolted, not screwed. Pieces of velcro tape. Of course, they let go all the time and people get seriously injured, fractures, cuts, lacerations and contusions. Planet Fitness knows that people are getting hurt but still continues to purchase and use this dangerous equipment.