Photobucket / Sign-Up Form / deceptive practices!

1 Denver, CO, United States Review updated:

I recently opened a Photobucket account. I had no idea that I had to watch my back so carefully with Photobucket, because they have always seemed to be a reputable, aboveboard company. I was wrong, and I now consider them criminally deceptive. In a yellow box, implying that it was REQUIRED information, Photobucket asked for my cell phone number. I'm ill and on medication, and I was not thinking clearly enough to differentiate between PHONE number and CELL phone number, or question a yellow box on a form. I gave Photobucket my number, assured by their deceptive "we won't call you!" Immediately I got a spam text message from RingAZA, informing me that I was subscribed to get ringtones for $9.99. I closed my phone, but the message remained until I replied STOP.

I then got a message saying I was "unsub" from RingAZA. I don't believe it. I believe I will be fighting a FRAUDULENT charge on my phone bill, courtesy of Photobucket's criminal scam partners, Ringtone Channel, or whoever they are. I blame this on Photobucket. It has been extremely difficult to track down anyone at Photobucket who's willing to say anything. I went to their help forums and got a lot of doubletalk from low-level troubleshooters who simply gave me useless 800 numbers for the scamming company, where I spoke to a rude, ditzy phone worker who informed me "WE DON'T HAVE TO HELP YOU." I filed complaints online, and got form letters saying "We are sorry you do not like our associates' offers" and giving me the same useless 800 numbers from the scam companies. Photobucket's first tier offers nothing but resistance and false "help."

I dug around in their website and got some names, and got their Palo Alto office's number from Directory Assistance. I reached what appears to be their liason with Photobucket Pro users. She called back and has courteously assured me that a higher-up will call me tomorrow. She expressed total shock and dismay that this is going on, but you know... THIS IS NOT HAPPENING BY ITSELF. I want to see accountability.

Photobucket, at some high level, decided to partner with these scammers who attach fraudulent charges to users' phone bills simply for being stupid enough to enter a number in the yellow form box. The form is one of the most deceptive things I have ever seen on the Internet, and it is absolutely disgusting that it's being used by a "reputable" company.

I'm sick (stage IV cancer) but I'm VERY angry, and I am strong and resourceful enough to fight this. $9.99 is merely an annoyance to me, but I worry about nicer people, the elderly, for example, many of whom may be on very limited budgets. I worry about people who don't know how to pursue such things. Students, housewives, people whose first language is not English. Photobucket and its criminal partners must be making a killing by stealing from such people, who never intend to pay $9.99 for a ringtone, but may not have the ability to fight it when it appears on their phone bill.

Every time I think about this, I get angrier. I want Photobucket to PAY. I want to see this practice completely exposed.

I want every person who works at Photobucket to THINK about how these fraudulent $9.99 phone bill charges may hurt some little old lady who needs that money for food or medicine, and who can't begin to fight these creeps. They make it extremely difficult to track down anyone who knows anything about this, and the low-level techs I reached on the forums were obviously under orders to keep a lid on customer outrage.

Photobucket must be stopped. At this point, I want to see them fined heavily and publicly exposed for this practice.

Comments

4th of Feb, 2008

I'd just like to say... http://www.google.com ...because we are NOT alone.

• Li
      9th of Jul, 2008

I'm very annoyed right now, how photobucket is closed down, when i very badly need my pictures and videos. It says its short maintenance, i've been waiting for at least 2 hours now.

Its something thats really, really, really caused a major inconvenience for me, and i find it dispicible.

I was looking for a number to call to complain, but of course, there is no number to call, cause if there was, there phone would be going off every point 5 seconds.

• Ev
      20th of Sep, 2008

eveee

• Sh
      1st of Oct, 2008

Ive given them 'my number' which is actually the 'telemarketers worse nightmare' one from that rejection hotline site XD

• Jh
      23rd of Jun, 2009

i tried to sign up for photbucket without putting in my cellular number then it went right back to the home page and i just wanted to say something...someone really needs to get on the photobucket and does somthing serious about it...

• Ba
      16th of Dec, 2009

I just canceled my account with Photobucket. They should be called Phototoilet. If you have pictures that are the least bit risqué, they will block them seemingly at random. I complained about this to them, after they blocked a very tame image I had uploaded. They said they'd look into it. They unblocked the picture, but blocked some others seemingly in retaliation for my complaining.
    They months would go by & then they'd block another image that had been there all along. I got sick of this & canceled by account. I told them why I was canceling & they responded by blocking a bunch of other images in my album. I went ahead & deleated ALL of my images.
    Yes, they are very user friendly as far as uploading is concerned, but they are jerks about censoring without reason.

• De
      24th of May, 2010

THAT THING WONT EVEN LET ME SIGN UP FOR IT!!! I can't get photobucket becoz apparently there was an error and i cant sign up :( someone please help me!!! denver.lawson78@gmail.com if u can reply or help :)

• Na
      7th of Aug, 2010

i dont appreciate photo buckett posting things on my facebook walla and then not letting me delete it!

• Na
      7th of Aug, 2010

wall **

• Kr
      18th of Jan, 2011

What if you do not sign up for the promos? Do you still get problems with photobucket and phones? My account expired without my knowledge and there is no emails stating photobucket had accessed and charged accounts for renewal. They are very silent which is disturbing. I should have had heads-up. This site is not for the professionals. Their beta changes are not for the best. Seperating out services so they bundle in the future. Expect limitations to come. A good thing does not last. I did like photobucket like the rest, but now I am soaking in what people have to say. Let me say I am 50-50 on it. I will be looking for an alternative.

• Mi
      11th of Jul, 2011

I agree, Photobucket is a joke. Part of the problem is their hiring process, taking people from a job finding service. The other part is the people they employee are ill trained, and ill equipped to actualy make an informed decision. And contacting them about you deleted images is useless. The last time I asked them to please look at my deleted images as I believed they did not violate the TOS (terms of service), they sent me an email back saying they looked, that my images were deleted for violating and that I was not getting them back. Also they took it upon themselves to go through all my images and deleate more!
    Email response; We have reviewed all of the images.  They do violate our terms of use.  There were a few that contained the US Army Trademark.  They filed a take-down request for those particular logos.
    Once content is removed for violating terms of use they are no longer available.
    Thanks,
    Photobucket

As far as I'm concerned this website is a massive joke with childlike tendencies. I will be taking back my images and closing my Acct.