Nordic Track / Icon Health and Fitness / improper disclosure of fees

1500 South 1000 WestLogan, UT, United States Review updated:

I ordered a Nordic Track product by phone from the company (known as Icon Health and Fitness). I asked for their 4-month same as cash finance offer.

Upon receiving the first account statement, I noted a $39 "Annual Fee" on the statement.

I first called the account processing company (HC Procesing Center of Lowell, AR) and spoke to Mario. I explained that an annual fee was never disclosed to me when I made the offer and therefore should not be charged. He indicated that if I paid in full by the statement due date and closed the account, the $39 fee would be dropped upon receipt of payment. I said close the account now, and ended the converstation.

I then called Icon sales and asked to talk with a sales supervisor. I was connected to "Sid". I explanined the situation. He said that the charge would have been disclosed at the time of the order. I said I may have been read a disclosure, but was not quoted an Annual Fee of any amount. It would not be logical for me to want a "xx days same-as-cash" offer if there was some kind of charge, such as an annual fee. He said it would have been disclosed as "a 21% apr". I responded that any APR percent quoted would make no difference to me, as I anticipated paying NO interest, so who cares what the APR is.

I indicated that I feel this practice is deceptive since they advertise "no interest" then charge you what they themselves admit is interest.

Sid said he would credit my account for $39.

I suppose if this happens to you, then you can call and request the refund as I did. However, do you want to go thru the hassle? On a higher level, do you want to deal with a company that practices this kind of deception in the first place?

Comments

Je
  18th of May, 2008
This exact same thing happened to me. When I recieved the first statement and saw the $39, I just shook my head and was thoroughly disgusted.

What really dissapoints me about this is that the equipment is fantastic, the customer service on the equipment (I've hand one minor issue) is excellent. Five stars, A+ whatever your scale may be... however, this really bothers me that a practice like this is allowed. "No Interest" implies no hidden costs as well. While I have been extremely dissapointed in the $39 charge, I have been dreading the endless phone calls, being forwarded to managers and just written it off as not worth my time.

I will never do business with ICON again.
Sh
  11th of Jun, 2008
I purchased an elliptical machine from ICON and right from the door I experienced problems. They sent me the wrong model which was cheaper the one I ordered. They took forever to adjust my account and when I received my first statement, yes - I was hit with a payment of $44 which was due every month. I was also on a deferred plan and couldn't understand why I was being charged this. Then to make matters worse, they charge the annual fee of $39 and unless you close the account with them, they will continue to charge you. This is listed nowhere on their website nor does anyone tell you about this when you open your account. I mailed a letter today requesting them to close my account and let me know when this has been completed. Just know that this company definitely have deceptive practices.
Da
  5th of Mar, 2009
I have UTS service contract, on 1/21/08 I called for service for Proform treadmill PFTL6293. The console has to be replaced. Ihave called at least 5 times and they say the part is on back order .would you be so kind and find out why it takes so long
contract#31188545
E-mail Elladavid84@aol.com
Sc
  14th of Mar, 2012
I could relate my experience about the quality of their products and how they say that if I return obviously defective merchandise (an elliptical track wheel that was not cut round) they will charge me shipping both ways plus a 15% restocking fee. A restocking fee for defective equipment that they should have seen before sending - how hard is it to see a wheel has a flat side from bad manufacturing?

More importantly - LOOK AT THEIR BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU RATING! Look at the number of complaints . . . it's staggering. http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/exercise-equipment-dealers/icon-health-and-fitness-in-logan-ut-2000054

NordicTrack Logo NordicTrack