National Home Protection / Terrible service - denied claims!

We purchased a home warranty from National Home Protection in 2006. We couldn't at the time find anything bad about them online, we have since learned that the company was under another name at the time.

Our dishwasher broke and we called for a preauthorization which we received. There was no local contractor so we were told to hire our own (this after a number of 20 minute waits on the phone). The dishwasher couldn't be fixed. They needed to come back with a different part and the cost was going to be higher. We incurred the initial service call fee.

The repairman said he was waiting on a part and that it would cost over $180. We called NHP for preauthorization and were told because it was the same issue as the first one (approved initially for $65) we didn't need preauthorization. I questioned my wife about that, and she called back and verified it. They said to send the invoice from the repairman with the claim form and gave us a fax number.

We had it repaired and when we called to make sure they received the invoice we faxed they said it was declined because we never received preapproval. They wouldn't budge and we went from person to person. There are numerous other postings about NHP, it seems this is a common occurance with them. Must be there way to make money. All I can say is stay away from them. We are out $284 and NHP won't return calls!

Comments

• Ji
      18th of Sep, 2007

Absolutely right! Even if a claim is excepted they will not pay! I have been trying to get a refund from them since April of 2007. My wife and I call every month or so to find out where our check is. Every time they send it to some ficticious address so they apologize and say they corrected it. All we want is our refund for our dishwasher. Even though the refund is far less than the replacement cost of a real dishwasher. I have been in contact with the BBB and sent in my complaint. Even the BBB can't get any real response, unfortunately they are powerless anyways and cannot force any action.

• Ef
      25th of Sep, 2007

I too have been scammed by them and even took them to small claims.. let's all fight back..

Email me for more info: SuingNHP@gmail.com

• Sh
      5th of Oct, 2007

My experience with them was extremely negative. The local contractor, it appears, knowingly participated in the scam. I tried to get information about NHP from the contractor before hand, they refuse to tell their experience/perception of NHP; then afterwards, they told me that "yeah, others had similar experience" hoping that I will go on with their quotes and the work since NHP is not paying for anything. Watch out!

• Da
      12th of Oct, 2007

I too have been scammed by this company all of the complaints are the same and all of the companies they do business with are also complaining as well all over the nation. My tenant in the house that I have the "lack of" protection on is an attorney. I would like to be included in whatever legal action is going on against this company, please contact me at atlantaluxe@yahoo.com.

25th of Mar, 2008

I am having exact same experience as all of you. When I purchase this warranty I in 2007, I didn't see anything bad about this company. But now internet if filled with negative talk. This company just does not return my emails or phone calls. I even left voicemail for supervisor but I never get a call.

My furnace motor stopped working. This company sent a tech out to my house and he said that this furance is in great condition and it just broke due normal ware and tear. Now this company is trying to get out of it by asking me for maintance records and in oder for them to even cover anything they want legal paper work of maintaince done by a contract person twice a year. WHO gets maintaince done by a contractor twice a year?

Anyhow, I am up for taking a legal action if you guys are. We wouldn't last a chance by ourself since this company seems to master getting out of claims but if we file a complain together I am sure we all have a shot. My email address is mahajanatulya@yahoo.com.

• Al
      5th of Apr, 2008

I never got the $50 gift card. They never mention about the time frame instructions anywhere. It has to be between 60 - 90 days after you signd up. They got my request form but they said they never got it. Now i know this is their cheap and ridiculous excute.

Your claims will never ever been approved. You will be told that "it is not covered". When you try to get more info or more explanation from them. They will say " you have to talk to the manager". You can keep calling and left as many messages as you want but the manager will never called you back. If you called and want to stay on hold waiting to talk to the manager, you will be told the he is in the meeting or on another line.

The fact is there is no real manager. They just came up for A Name which that person never existed. When you called and ask for that name, they all know it right away that they should refused your call.

You will finally end up pay for your service call and everything.

There is no good home warrenty company. No company would pay you more than what they make from you.

• Ly
      24th of Apr, 2008

I just finished reading complaints about NHP after I was "who-doed" by them in the same manner as
    mahajanatula@yahoo.com. I totally agree they have a major scam going on, and if there is a lawsuit against them, I will consider joining. NHP did not have a problem taking my drafts every month, but when I needed them to comply to service me, they had problems meeting "their advertising promises". I was told the same thing as the lady above pertaining to maintenances per year. They added that in the "F" column in their policy it states what is required about having furnance maintained but they do NOT place any stipulations in BOLD PRINT so that JOHN Q.PUBLIC can read them right away before buying their advertising promise to protect your home against major breakdowns.

• Ad
      24th of Apr, 2008

Dated: 04/24/2008

The NY State Attorney General's office is investigating NHP!

Please File you Complaint against National Home Protection TODAY, and maybe we can develop this thing into a Class Action lawsuit.

I had two similar experiences with NHP, and they denied the claim, even against their contractor’s opinion. I have filed a complaint against NHP with the OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK. Please go to NY A.G.’s website and file your complaints today. Click here: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/complaints/pdfs/cns001web_consumer.pdf

It’s about time NHP pay for their Fraud!

Thanks.

• Cl
      25th of Aug, 2008

These people are horrid!!! 17 year old air conditioner, the technician came out and said that the coils were dirty (they were cleaned last year) and they refused to pay for the motor!! I said, send me the motor, don't worry about the coils, they'll be fine when the motor is fixed!! This is not rocket science. They have their tech. come out, give it a diagnoses of maintence problem and then they don't pay for anything!!! SCAM SCAM SCAM...THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THEY HAVE DONE THIS!!! EVEN THE TECH SAID THEY WERE CROOKED!!

• Ga
      11th of Sep, 2008

We're new customers with NHP and filed our first claim. The circuit board in our a/c unit died and they are trying to say that because we had the compressor replaced in Feb 2008 that it cause the circuit board to short and therefore denied the claim because of improper installation of the compressor. I have talked to 3 reputable a/c companies and none of them agreed that you should replace the circuit board when you replace the compressor. NHP gets you to pay an annual fee up front and then denies your claims. The guy I talked to said he was a certified/licensed a/c technician and could tell from the technicians diagnosis that it was the fault of the new compressor. the technician said "a/c not cooling, 2.5 ton unit under warranty, short in the pc board". They saw that the unit was under warranty and figured they could get out of paying to replace the circuit board...even though it wasn't under warranty as the part is around 20 years old. thanks for the email info for the Attorney General for NY...I'll be contacting his office. the vendor also said they were a terrible company to work for..that they always denied claims and you had to stay on them constantly to get anything approved.

• Va
      13th of Oct, 2008

National Home Protection is not honoring their agreement with me. Below, you will see how long I have been trying to get repair service honored—

From: vfbrooks12@aol.com
    To: disputes@nationalhomeprotection.com
    Sent: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:10 pm
    Subject: Claim # 540-677
    Sir or Madam:

I spoke with one NHP Reps this morning reference my claim, which I submitted on 6 Oct 08. at the end of this email, I have attached all email traffic pertaining to my claim. However, what I want to address right now is the fact that I was sent via email in pdf format a "Customer Reimbursement Procedures" Form. I was told that I could find my a technician on my own and that anything repairs over $100 I would have to call and get authorization. As of the date of this email (13 Oct 08), I got Elliott Air Conditioning. We called NHP and he spoke with a rep and told them the problem is that the motor in the a/c unit would have to be replaced, and gave an estimate of approximately $200. Afterwhich, the rep put him on hold, came back and told me that I needed to fax to NHP my maintenance records. How often does NHP use this to keep from paying claims? I told NHP rep that I had been in my home for 18 years and that I did not keep and maintenance records. The techinian said to your rep that this motor is out because of normal wear and tear, but that did not satisfy NHP. EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD SYSTEM. Your rep stated to me that NHP reserve the right to ask for the record. I change my filters every three months and that is done on the inside of my home. I understand that you all reserve the right to ask for records, but since I do not have maitenance records, and this is my second year with your company, will you make exception or at least pay a portion of the cost of the repair if not all? Elliott Air Conditioning stated that his labor will be $70 and the approx. cost of the motor is $200. I have been with a/c since 5 Oct 08 and I live in the Southeast Alabama and it is hot and humid. I signed on with your company because you all reassured potential buyers that we would have nothing to worry about. This is the second time I filed a c laim. The first time for an electric water heater. I clearly understood what you all did not cover. But here I am again, and you all want to reserve the right to see maintenance records that I do not have. Does this mean I will not get my central air/heating unit repaired or what will NHP do for me? Will you call me with an authorization number so the technician can complete the job? My home telephone is 334-774-0631 and my cell is 334-545-0045 and Elliott Air Conditioning Service is 334-797-6561.

Thank you for your assistance.

Vanessa F. Brooks
    2124 Lakeview Road
    Ozark, AL 36360

Including today, you will see below that I have made several attempts to get NHP to make things right for me.

PREVIOUS EMAIL TRAFFIC--
    This email is in reference to my claim #540-677.

My unit stop running in the P.M. on 5 Oct 08, I called in my came to you on 6 Oct 08.
    On 7 October 2008, NBP emailed stating that A 1 Services, an authorized NHP service technician, (334) 566-4220 had been assigned the job and for me to make contact with them to schedule a mutually convenient service appointment. However, when I called the owner, he said that you all did not contact him, and that where I lived was too far for him, and that he had more work that he needed, that he was working mainly in Pike County. I reported that you NHP on the same day, and you told me that you were working on getting another contractor.

On 8 October 2008, NBP emailed me stating that Wagner Air Conditioning, another authorized NHP service technician has been assigned the job and for me to make contact with them to schedule a mutually convenient service appointment. I called Wagner Air Conditioning at (334) 678-8894 this morning, per your guidance to setup an appointment. I was told that they got an initial call from NHP about contracting a job, but have not heard back from you. Wagner Rep told me that NHP is not in their system, and they are waiting for additional information from NHP. As 9 Oct 08 at 3:03 P.M. CST, they have not heard from your company, and someone has been at their place of business all day. Until they hear from you with the needed information, I WILL NOT GET ANY SERVICE

On your homepage under "About Us" under "Our Service" you state, "We pride ourselves on having the most satisfied customers in the business and will go to great lengths to make sure that when your needs are met, you'll refer your friends and family to us because you know they will be taken care of." I do not consider what is happening to me as good care. At this stage, I am a reluctant to refer my family and friends to NHP.

WHEN CAN I EXPECT SERVICES TO BE RENDERED ACCORDING TO STANDARDS THAT YOU ASSURE ON YOU WEBSITE?

Vanessa F. Brooks
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: claims@nationalhomeprotection.com

Your request for service 540677: Air Condtioning: Not cooling...outside fan not
    turning..

Your claim has been assigned to A 1 Services, an authorized NHP service
    technician. You may now contact A 1 Services at (334) 566-4220 to schedule a
    mutually convenient service appointment. If you do not have an appointment
    scheduled with your authorized NHP contractor within 48 hours please call us at
    1-800-608-6045 so that we may assist you in getting an appointment scheduled.

Please remember that upon the technicians arrival you will be required to pay
    the $45.00 service call fee.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call our claims

Dear Vanessa F. Brooks,

Your request for service 540677: Air Condtioning: Not cooling...outside fan not
    turning..

Your claim has been assigned to Wagner Air Conditioning, an authorized NHP
    service technician. You may now contact Wagner Air Conditioning at (334)
    678-8894 to schedule a mutually convenient service appointment. If you do not
    have an appointment scheduled with your authorized NHP contractor within 48
    hours please call us at 1-800-608-6045 so that we may assist you in getting an
    appointment scheduled.

Please remember that upon the technicians arrival you will be required to pay
    the $45.00 service call fee.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call our claims
    department at 1-800-608-6045.

NHP Claims Department : 1-800-608-6045 : Claims@NationalHomeProtection.com

8th of Dec, 2008

i signed on a 5 yr policy with this company i see all complaints being mentioned here.i have to say ive had noting but happy experience with national home protection they have honored all claims i have put through to them, i have been with 2 other home warranty companies before signing with NHP they are by far the best. there contractors are proffesional and an extremley fast response time to claims. i hope this reveiw helps in finding a home warranty

10th of Dec, 2008

I wounder if last person who posted this message is employee of the company. :-)

Anyhow, if you are planning on doing any business with this company I strongly suggest that you do your homework. People are unhappy with this company for a reason and they are posting messages for a reason. Here is an article that was posted in news paper: The Star-Ledger

******http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2008/04/warranty_firm_probed_for_fraud.html

Within the last few years, many consumers have been logging complaints against NHP for failure to comply with their own contractual obligations. This usually happens when a more expensive items fails and needs replacements, such as a furnace, boiler, water heater or air conditioner unit. Based on reports posted by consumers on www.my3cents.com, www.scam.com, www.complaints.com, the reasons for denying the claims are fabricated and have even been disputed by their own contractors without any success. They also have an unsatisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau. On April 01, 2008 The Star-Ledger published an article on fraudulent activity this company has been doing and they are now being investigated http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2008/04/warranty_firm_probed_for_fraud.html (please do read this article before you continue on).
    This company was practicing under United Home Warranty in past and all the sudden they disconnected its phone, emails, website and vanished. Shortly after that owner of United Home Warranty David Seruya opened up a shop as National Home Protection and it seems like they are continuing on with scams.

10th of Dec, 2008

I am posting this article link again just it doesn't get missed.

Please do read this article posted in newspaper about this company and be judge for yourself before you do business with them. I just hate to see anyone go through things that I and so MANY others are going through.

• Le
      17th of Mar, 2009

I had a similar experience to the above - this company is a TOTAL scam - they are rude, they keep you on hold for hours and then they lie to you... I had a clothes washer that's failed numerous times after tehy sent a contractor and I was forced to pay service charge - then they gave me a contractor who doesn't even work in our area - so they said they'd find me one and never did - I found one of my own and he gave tehm info and then I never heard back - I was told authorization is looking over my claims and I'd get a call back - of course I never did - they say I will but then when I tell them I'm getting the same old staory they lie again or hang up on me - we've all been taken - what can we do? Does someone have an attorney we can file a class action suit? I'd like to be a part of it - my email is lezim@bellsouth.net and my cell is 786-863-3160

Is the state attorney general or consumer affairs department doing anything about this???

• Be
      7th of May, 2009

******CLASS ACTION SUIT PENDING AGAINST NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION!!!***

Came across this article today, stating that a class action suit is being filed against NHP (thank goodness!). Here's the article with the attorney's name at the bottom:

16th of May, 2009

NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION SUED BY NEW YORK STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL ANDREW CUOMO

On APRIL 27, 2009, NEW YORK ATTORNEY GENERAL ANDREW M. CUOMO FILED SUIT AGAINST NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION, INC. and three principals, Leo Serrur, David Seruya and Victor Hakim in NEW YORK SUPREME COURT in Manhattan.

To Ensure Restitution for Defrauded Consumers, Court Freezes Company and Principal Assets.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF BY NHP, IMMEDIATELY GO TO THIS WEBSITE, http://www.oag.state.ny.us and FILE A COMPLAINT.

It looks like JUSTICE is forthcoming, but this could take years!! It's a start!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!

8th of Jun, 2009

Please help this company ripped me for $1649.60. Can someone contact me My name is John Fullard
    Cell phone is 770-855-6376
    Thanks,
    John

• Az
      15th of Apr, 2010

First, I never received my Home Depot gift card as promised.
    Second, the service providers were far from competent, or efficient.
    Third, I paid extra every month for pool motor coverage and when I submitted a claim it was denied, for no good reason.

This company should not be in existence - - at all!