MerchantCircle.com / Poor telephone marketing strategy

This company, www.merchantcircle.com , is a directory for businesses in all areas. I thin they get their listings from a phone book and an old one at that. They then let you sign up for free, or better yet, sell you a subscription to promote your business.

We received 3 telephone calls last Friday at 3 different telephone numbers in our Salon. The message was the same each time. You have a negative review at merchantscircle.com.

When we checked it out there are no reviews for any of the those particular stylists. Just address info.

When I googled merchantcircle.com I found quite a few blogs are reporting the same thing. It seems to be a marketing ploy to get business owners to go to their site and look for the bad review, maybe thinking they should sign up.

Since I know of no one who has ever heard of merchantcircle.com I would guess that is their POOR strategy.

Comments

• Mm
      14th of Oct, 2007

That is on the mark. this is a very poor marketing tool and should be reported to the attorney general's office.

• Jp
      25th of Jan, 2008

I too, have been called by this company with a recording saying that my business had been rated. I have received 3 phone calls from this company and there are no information. I think this is a scam. There is also another salon by thse same name as mine, a customer called me last week and said there was a $600.00 charge on there credit card, I informed her that it wasn't my salon because I don't take credit cards

• El
      28th of Jan, 2008

I too recieved a call at my business and did not find any negative rating. This ploy is very annoying and will not boost business for them. I will look on there website and find a number for them and have them come and read their review

• Mi
      25th of Apr, 2008

I received a call from Merchant Circle this morning with the exact same message.

Go to the site, and there is absolutely nothing there about my business. This is a real stupid way to drive people to your site. I now have a very negative impression about Merchant Circle and will NOT ever do business with them.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

• P0
      14th of May, 2008

They use an automatic dialer to call you...I have had 2 calls in the last 4 weeks...teling to go to thie website and register as someone has inquired re our biziness...

Auto dialers with no real live person calling are illegal ...pure and simple. The FCC and FTC are the overseeing federal agencies...file a comlaint...enough complaints and they WILL act.

19th of May, 2008

where do you file a complaint?

• Ka
      21st of May, 2008

I received a call from them also saying the same thing. I am writing to express my views on this illegal way that this company calls. I find it very rude to use an auto dialer. It doesn't allow us a chance to find out more about their call. How do I go about filing a complaint?

• Lw
      22nd of May, 2008

I have had to call merchant circle several times now in regards to existing customers finding our address listed incorrectly yet this company is using our business phone number. I was assured that our correct address would be updated immediately 8months ago. To-date no information has been updated and some other company using our legal name and phone number is still listed and being questioned by the general public. If this is not corrected I will most certainly be addressing the ATTORNEY GENERAL myself. Why is there no contact number listed for this company anymore??? DON'T LET THEM DO TO YOUR COMPANY AS THEY HAVE DONE TO MINE!!!

30th of May, 2008

Same thing happened to us. Got the automated call, went to their site and found nothing. This has happened 10-12 times to each of our 3 different business phone numbers. It's a scam and they commit fraud by lying about nonexistant reviews. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. MerchantCircle.com is ### and I would never do business with a company that has so little respect for my time.

• Ry
      3rd of Jun, 2008

Someone who has time, please lead a crusade and tell us what we can do to legally shut these punks down, I hate being called by a recording that spits out their message but hangs up before I can share mine with them.

• Fr
      12th of Jun, 2008

This is a terrible way to do business. Please shut this company down. They have no right to try and rate a business they have never spoke with or researched.
    Fran

4th of Jul, 2008

I too have felt the negative impact of this horrible directory, MerchantCircle. They list my business information incorrectly costing me dearly. I want them to cease advertising my business. I want my business aligned with reputable directories only!

6th of Jul, 2008

Yes, I have had the same experiences as the people listed above. It appears to be a real scam, based on fear.

16th of Jul, 2008

Phone call with negative feedback... no order were received from the company, so how can there be a complaint. This is a scare tactic to generate more subscribers to their service. Very disappointing. If this were a legitimate group they would contact me, and I would act on it immediately. Scam.

25th of Jul, 2008

Confirm my status as legitmate.

New company marketiug Safety, Security & Surveillance items
    pointthewaytl.com pointthewayenterprises.com

Also new Website geewhizmorewebbiz.com

Wicked good deal. check it out
    Tom Lord

25th of Jul, 2008

If the customer ordered throgh my weebsite pointthewaytl.com and did not reeive his order, I need to know about it. My
    computer crashed a short time ago, and my files and programs
    may not hav transferred properly to the new computer.

16th of Aug, 2008

If the " telephone marketing ratings are a ploy to get more Biz. why do you post the poor ratingsw as the first thing someone
    going to our website sees?
    I beg you to remove tis negative rating until I xcan varify just
    what it is I'm supposed oto be doing differently.
    Tom Lord
    pointthewaytl.com

21st of Aug, 2008

I got the phone call myself about the company I work for only with me it was a call saying we got a "good" review. I guess this is the new ploy to get someone's attention. Well, sadly enough for them, my company didn't join...poor marketing for sure.

• Ke
      23rd of Aug, 2008

I GOT THE SAME PHONE CALLS AS EVERYONE ELSE LISTED ABOVE. I BELIEVE THIS COMPANY IS FRAUDULANT. THERE ARE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE WITH PRICES THAT ARE NOT WITHIN OUR PRICING. ALL LIES FOR WHAT EVER REASON. LIEING IS NOT A GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? MR. ATTORNY GENERAL PLEASE HELP US.

1st of Sep, 2008

I am a vendor who advertises on Merchant Circle and I am so shocked to hear this. I myself have only experienced postive responses with them and my visitor visits to our store has been doubled. Now, what I am wondering is as is with so many connections (sad to say the least) these phone calls that are being received could possibly be "outsiders" trying to pull a scam. This unfortunately causes companies bad reputations. I myself have experienced this in past dealings with other advertising firms. I know way to many vedors who use this service that are legitimate. This could be another problem, there may be people "signing up" that are not and using a good service to promote their bad business conduct. This makes it truly difficult for those of us who are legitimate. If MC is the one actually making these marketing ploys I do agree it should not be handled in a more professional manner. Be wary it is your right, go to MC itself and contact them that way verses whatever info is left on your voicemails, check with the BBB, investigate. Your business is of great value and protecting it is a must.
    My Best To All
    I am not leaving my business information only because I do not want anyone to feel I am soliciting just wanting to help.