Meijer / overpriced, terrible service and product quality

1 Canton, MI, United States Review updated:

The meijer grocery store in canton, mi is deplorable! I just returned from what will be my last trip. First and foremost they are totally overpriced. I might be able to tolerate this overpricing a bit more in exchange for the convenience of shopping 24 hrs if it weren't for the following:

There are never enough cashiers, resulting in extremely long lines. So i, being the clever thinker that I am, utilize the convenience of their 24 hour shopping to avoid these lines. However during these late hours they have not one... I mean zero cashiers working. Call me crazy, but when i'm spending 200.00 on groceries, I do not want to use the u-scan! I would think with all of that money that they are overcharging the consumers, they could afford to hire a few night cashiers! In the time it took me to look up all of the codes for my produce and await "customer assistance" 12 times from the head cashier/u-scan watcher my meat was warm and my ice cream had melted. Not to mention the fact that I overcharged myself 3.00 on watermelon because I mistakenly pushed the wrong 'watermelon' button on the produce look-up screen!! When I pointed this out to the attendant... She informed me that the service desk was closed and i'd have to come back for my refund... But of course!

Let me point out some other complaints about this store: the produce... Always poor quality and picked over. The outdoor/flower department... Their flowers are in the worst condition i've ever seen. Who in their right mind is going to pay 12.99 for a wilted, burnt hanging basket??? Obviously there is a market out there for them, because every time I check that's what they're selling!

Customer service... Horrible. There is never any one available to help and if there is they know nothing or are rude to customers. As I mentioned I am a frequent late night shopper. I "get" that they use this less busy time to restock their shelves, however I am the customer. I do not expect to be glared at as I squeeze between the their mile high boxes and restocking carts to reach some cereal. Customers are made to feel as if they are 'in the way' and not one of these employees offer to move or assist.

So in summary if you're looking to buy overpriced food and merchandise of poor quality, from understaffed, ill-informed employees who provide service with a glare... Meijer canton, mi is your store!

Comments

• Ka
      14th of Apr, 2010

I work at a Meijer not too far from that one (less than an hour). I can assure you this isn't the case everywhere.

As far as having "zero" cashiers at night, we seem to always have at least two scheduled in my experience. It's never busy enough to have more than that. It's a waste of company money to have three or four cashiers with lanes open and have no more than one or two customers at a time who are checking out. It would simply be impractical.

If you shop at night, and there's the possibility that you are going to need the service desk, I'm sorry. That's your own damn fault. I have absolutely no sympathy for customers who come in at midnight, screw up their order/forget their coupon/need to this, that, or the other at the service desk, and then flap their mouths when the desk isn't open. You should always consider that possibility when you shop. I went shopping late last night and forgot to use a coupon, and I certainly didn't throw a fit about it.

Same thing goes for U-Scan: if you don't want to use it, you might want to go when there is a larger number of available cashiers.

As far as the flowers and produce go, I can't really say much about that. I know a store that's close to me that has absolutely atrocious produce, never looked at their garden center, but the store I work at has really a really nice selection and we strive to pick out anything that looks bad. Our floral department is also pretty nice. We're also quite friendly, especially compared to the other two nearby stores.

Just because you had a bad experience there doesn't mean that Meijer is a bad place to shop. Look around; there's probably another one near you that's much nicer.

• Wi
      10th of Jun, 2010

Meijer sucks!!! They rather throw a completely good product away then to sell it to a employee that wants it. They rather lose a buck then to make one. Espeically when they already suck in paying the employee good hourly wages...

• Az
      4th of Oct, 2010

For one thing, not all store locations are the same -- and it's clear to me that you're HIGHLY overreacting. You were probably in a negative mood before you even walked into the store on the day in question, and that clouded your judgment and perception of your experience.

Usually you can tell this is the case when someone is ranting and raving in absolutes - "they're ALWAYS rude" or "there's NEVER anyone to help customers" or "their selection of this/that/the other is the WORST EVER." Quit whining and grow up.

• Wh
      22nd of Dec, 2010

I have the same experience with the grocery workers who re-stock the shelves overnight. They block the aisles even though it's unnecessary. They could place their carts in the aisle and still leave room for shoppers to get by but they don't. They look at me and behave as if I have no business being there, as if I'm a nuisance and in their way.

• Em
      27th of Jun, 2011

The dry cleaner at Meijer is just terrible. He ruined a very expensive dress and yelled at me about it! He then offered to fix it for $40 and told me that I was getting a deal.

11th of Apr, 2012

The best time to shop is before noon monday to thursday at the store i work at, between 6a to 10a. I agree meijer isn't the cheapest but i dont think they overcharge, they just try to make as much money as possible. my suggestion; Avoid shopping between 8p and 11p. And Avoid weekends Friday night to sunday night. Meijer's never seems to schedule enough cashiers on holiday weeks, sales specials, etc.. I myself prefer Aldi's.

11th of Apr, 2012

the The reason its hard finding someone to help u in the GM area, is because they schedule the least amount of people possible to each job. Sometimes they will have one person runing the floor. And when it gets busy at check out they call store number to check out over the pa system. example "222 to checkout" or "222 to service". Then everyone in GM comes up to work on a lane. when this happens there is either no one on the floor, or just one(the manager). So you can blame the customers that complain about there not being enough lanes open and the managers that dont schedule enough people.

11th of Apr, 2012

In my opinion if you go shopping on holidays or weekends its your own fault you have to wait in a long line. Would you rather go to the walmart by my house that has only 1 cashier, no u scan on a weekend night. Stand and wait behind 15 to 20 people with shopping carts overflowing no joke, i should have taken a pic. Or the meijers i work at the ussually doesn't have more than 4 or 5 people even when its busy. The customers I think are the most rediculous are the ones that complain about standing in a line with 5 people in front of them, when they are the ones that waited til christmas eve to do $300 dollars of shopping or more. sometimes we will have all our lanes open including photo, sports and garden, and customers still complain. I love how customers talk at cashiers and employees as if this stuff is our fault. No matter how much you complain to us it wont change, we have no control over that. Managers and corporate are the ones to complain to. But good luck they tend ignore most stuff.

11th of Apr, 2012

ill-informed? what do expect a specialist? employees are not your personal encyclapedia you can google search just about any product or question you have. Do u realize how many different products we sell. I would like to see u memorize all that information.

• Jd
      29th of May, 2012

I live by the meijer in blacklick ohio and i have been sold meat that was spoiled twice in three shopping occasions. This store is charging almost $4.00 a pound for 80/20 hamburger and their hiding bad meat inside fresher die colored meat. This happened in more than the two other occasions. I opened up a $14.00 roast and almost threwup at the rotten stench. I went in to the same meijer in mid-april to get a watch battery replaced and was snubbed off by some cranky old lady that told me she was only covering for ( get this) the only person with the proper knowledge and ability to change watch batteries and he was on medical leave until june.

• En
      23rd of Mar, 2016

I purchased yesterday @ Meijers here in Ionia MI - nacho cheese hard shell had Meijers on the box.
    Sell by date July 29 2016. Every taco shell was broken into pieces, so much for the Steele family taco night- We wound up having taco salad instead.

• En
      25th of Mar, 2016

I purchased yesterday @ Meijers here in Ionia MI- Nacho Cheese hard shells, it had Meijers on the box. Sell by date July 29, 2016. Every taco shell was broken into pieces. So much for the Steele family taco night. We wound up having taco salad.