Magellan Roadmate 360 GPS / No updates available

1 6412 matanzas drSebring, FL, United States Review updated:

I purchased a Magellan model 360 GPS in December 2006. The street names in Sebring, FL. had been changed one year earlier and they were not updated in the Magellan GPS. I was told there was none available yet. Three months later I was told the same thing, wait a little longer and an update should be available. In August 2007 they said there would not be a map update and I would have to send in my unit and exchange for a newer model. The cost to do this is $190, the cost of a new one from Radio Shack is $199. What a deal, a $9 discount to get rid of a product that was defective from the start. The calls to India are frustrating to say the least. A half hour plus wasted for each call made. Don't waste your time with Magellan.

Comments

• Mi
      12th of Dec, 2007

I am having the same problem with Magellan. I sent my unit off to get repaired in August of 2007. They took my credit card information to charge me for repairing the unit and said it would be a couple of weeks. A month went by and I had not received my unit back. I called Magellan and to get someone who did not speak English on the phone. They promised me it would be a week, a week later I had not received my GPS. I called back to speak to someone else that did not speak English, I ended up just upgrading the unit for almost $300 and they took my credit card information again. I have talked the customer service department in India a dozen times and every time they give me a new date in which I will receive my new unit. Here it is December 12 and still to unit. I can not get anyone on the phone to HELP ME.

• Ji
      19th of Aug, 2008

I agree 100%. I purchased a 360 model also as there was a GREAT sale on just over a year ago, spring of 2007. Now I want to update it, happy to pay a reasonable price to do so, however, no updates for this model. I see from the above comments I am not going to ever be able to do that so will not waste my time and money trying to do so. WHY is there no regulation to prevent such illegal business people from ripping us off? Too late I know to never purchase a Magellan product again. Jim Johnson

• Cm
      1st of Dec, 2008

I agree with the original poster as I went through the same thing. Fortunately, I received a discount on my unit originally, but at the time I thought to myself "Magellan is a name brand; they'll update maps for all their units, I might just have to pay for it." Now I see that marketing won out over good engineering practices. Why use a standardized format that users can swap between models when they can make more money by forcing consumers to discard expensive electronics if they don't want to get lost?

• Wh
      23rd of Aug, 2009

Same problem; no more Magellan

• Sp
      20th of Sep, 2009

Got the Roadmate 360 for a wedding gift in '06. My band went on tour in a Milwaukee where all the exit ramps had changed and it was completely useless. I tried to update and to my disbelief not one update. This was bought through a registry from Target and I wouldn't be surprised if it had been on the shelf since '05. I don't think it has ever been given an update. I guess the USB cable is more useful for hanging yourself in frustration. The unit is also slow and barely responds at times. MAGELLAN=TOTAL GARBAGE

18th of Oct, 2009

The Roadmate 360 is completely useless since it's creators have failed to provide an a map update for the unit.

18th of Oct, 2009

I have tried to find an update for the unit and failed miserably. The premise of selling a product without adecuate support seems to be prevalent in this case. We need an map update now!