Love Valley / Stay far far away from this place

I and the folks from the riding stable I board my horses at recently took our first out of state camping trip and decided to go to Love Valley, NC which is the self proclaimed "cowboy capital" of the country and a "horseman's paradise" and why we decided to go because looking at the website it looked really neat. When we pulled into the area, I looked around and prayed that what I was seeing wasn't Love Valley but it was. The place is an absolute trash hole. There are hundreds of permanent, cheap, redneck campers with permanent roofs attached to them. They're an eye sore and there are so many of them. They're campers meant to live in for a weekend or so, but the people in the town live in them permeate. There are large piles of construction material and trash everywhere, not like in a small discreet area, but on the sides of roads and in front of houses and in front of stores, it's like they were just too lazy to put the stuff up. There was a pile of discarded toilets in one lot and in another a giant pile of wood, bedsprings, and metal that was burnt to a crisp. One of the "bathhouses" was literally a shack with a water hose and 2 black barrels on the roof which served as the "hot water heater". The bathrooms and bath houses were a nightmare. Our bathhouse was a little shack that hadn't been cleaned in god knows when. There were used razors and soap in the shower from the last campers. The floor had 3 inches of dirt on it and the toilet seat was covered in dead moths. The pipes were rusty and made the water smell horrible, so you literally smelled worse coming out then in. To really drive the nail home, there was no hot water. We called and complained and the "employees" said they would fix it, but they blatantly lied to us about it, they had no intention of fixing it and gave us a lie about needing an electrician, but we knew that was a lie because one of the riders with us was an experienced electrician. I don't think the bath house has ever had hot water. They let us use another bath house, I was the first to use it and when I pulled back the shower curtain, there was a nest of spiders in the bottom and ceiling and along the sides. I killed about 6 spiders and had one of the most paranoid showers of my life. The toilet was full of dead beetles. The place hadn't been washed in god knows when and they were too lazy to put down bug spray and the place was infested with spiders and bugs. The town was billed as an "old western" town but in fact was a ghost town. It had a total of 5 stores, 2 of which were for sale. There were no restaurants, no decent stores. The closest restaurant was 14 miles away and was literally a Citgo gas station with a fryer. There were no fast food chains, not even a McDonald's. We had to drive 30 miles for a sit down restaurant. The nearest grocery store is 25 miles away. There were 2 bars in the town which were called "saloons" but were really run down bars that blared music across the campsite at night. Our camp site was next to a busy road, there were a lot of diesel trucks and a lot of drunk horse riders. I was too often woken at 3 am by drunken cowboys riding by and yelling. There aren't any cops and rules aren't followed there and there’s a lot of public drunkenness. The trails are all on the road and there are no "forest trails". Oh and the town is racist. Coming into the camp site there was a permanent resident trailer with a "porch monkey" on the porch, which was a little black man dressed in a pet monkey suit, eating watermelon with exaggerated "black" features. It was disgusting. Also one of our riders was black and they were very rude and unfriendly to him. It's billed as a "Christian cowboy" retreat, more like they're all a bunch of backward racists. The place was just a HUGE disappointment and dirty and racist and run down and poorly managed and just crappy. Go somewhere else to ride your horses, we would have had much more fun if we had stayed local or went to a national/state park. This place isn't worth the money to get there. I think 40 years ago it was a "cool" place, but now it's a dump. Stay away.

Va

More Love Valley Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Sp
      10th of Jul, 2011

As far as I am concerned, if you don't like it, don't go. I won't get involved with all this racist crap, cause quite frankly, in my 44 years on this earth, I have found a whole lot more black folks that are racist than I ever have white folks. As to the bugs, drunks, and such, stay your butt in that little cookie cutter house in your sub-division and watch a western if you don't want to risk disappointment.
    I think if you look hard enough, you'll find something to whine about just about everywhere you go. Hot water, really, how did you ever survive? I mean especially when all them dang loco-locals were out to get you and all! It's a miracle you weren't traumatized to the point of bantering on like a lunatic, oh wait, you just did!

• Re
      4th of Oct, 2011

I live in SC and simply can't wait to go to love valley, I'm sorry that you are not a people person and can not understand what trail riding is but if you want a motel you should go to one or buy a horse trailer with living quarters. The town is not Maggie valley for site seeing at a huge expense it is love valley a place to ride your horse when you choose to 24/7. If you don't like loud drunks there is a Christian camp ground also. My first time there I did not know the trails but if you ask the people are friendly and would show you the trails. The ride to the power line is beautiful. You talked about race- the whole country is that way "education" about this is terrible but you should not hold the entire town accountable for what one person does. I hope you will try to meet the other side of humanity the freedom we love and maybe one day you might get to meet me on the trail somewhere for a fun trail ride...happy trails

• Pu
      19th of Oct, 2011

We're 2 couples on motorcycles, who are also horse owners, who found Love Valley on a bike trip last weekend. We are always looking for places to visit with our horses. Love Valley was a darling little place. It's October, not much going on. Just locals working on their properties, enjoying rockers and chatting with each other. extremely friendly to us, answered questions about lodging and meals. The Silver Spur restaurant was manned by one young man - he did it all, and we had some of the best fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs and ribeye steaks we've ever had. We toured 2 of the cabins and they were meticulously maintained, and clean. We look at stalls - same thing. We will definitely visit with our horses, in fact, we're planning on bringing our riding students up! If you want authentic, rustic, this is the place. The review of 2008 obviously is outdated.

• So
      8th of Jun, 2012

Sounds like the city slickers need to stick to the city!! If ya dont like spiders and bugs stay at home and out of the woods!! Let your horse stay at a fancy stable and let somebody else take care of it for ya, heaven forbid ya get dirty! And 30 miles to a McDonalds?? Where the hell did ya go?? Winston Salem?? Statesville is like 10-12 miles away! But the burgers at the Spur are 100000 times better than a nasty McDonald's burger ANY DAY!!

• Ta
      26th of Aug, 2012

i started coming to love valley 4 yrs ago, if you like horses and the old west yes love valley is where its at, there is so much to be seen here along the four i have spent coming here me and my Husband have invested in MISS KITTYS, we love the valley the valley is a good family place, We have good food stores saloons trails and the best hospitality you can ask for, you may have heard alot of things but if you truley love and apprieciate what one man stood for and that was the love of the old west and love for people you would love the valley as we do, and before you give your opions on the place have a sit and talk with mrs barker then you would really know why this is Love Valley. The first time i met her The look in her eyes told me the passion for this place, the unkind remarks and slurs cant measure the peace i got that day . i pray and thank God everyday i can be a part of this valley till my day here. So come join us stay with us at MISS KITTYS we would love to have each and eveyone .

• Er
      27th of Sep, 2013

LOL at all the people trying to defend love valley. Especially THE ALL CAPS IM SO ANGRY AND WANT YOU TO KNOW IT MAN. I live in charlotte and the legacy of that town is that it is the most racist town in the state, which is pretty impressive considering that this is North Carolina. I am white and know that if your black, you dont go to love valley because its not safe. I have never heard anything good about love valley, just stories about the incredible degree of racism that exists there.

• He
      29th of Dec, 2013

Love Valley is depressing. Trails and outlying areas are nice enough, but there is something kind of sad about the locals and the "businesses" and the actual grimey town. The visitors are the ones who bring a little vibrancy to the area, otherwise there is not much positive to say. Not my cup of tea, but am sure it is for many who enjoy riding horses with cigarettes and alcohol in hand, and seeing make-believe cowboys.

• Ed
      28th of Aug, 2014

love valley is a nasty place. roads are not clean. bathhouses do have bugs. trash in road. beligerent obtuse drunks. crack whores who look like they have been drinking too much murky water. employee stoned in their fine resturants. one fine resturant really used to be chicken coop. if you like this way of life go for it.

• Ka
      29th of Aug, 2014

If you like to be around loud mouthed dirty drunks Love Valley is the place for you. The so called "town" is a nasty place in the road. Trash literally strewn all over the place. Halloween parade is a joke. Five minutes and they say it is over. I never knew it to start. They are so drunk and stoned they know nothing. Would not take family there. It is a well know child molester haven. I know this because unfortunately i had the misfortune of having to stay in tht hell hole for a year.

• Qt
      10th of Feb, 2016

Had my honeymoon at Love Valley years ago. Husband knew the place I didn't. And I can say he picked the perfect place for us. Camping with our horses and some of the nicest people you will ever meet. And yes partied at the Spur and had a blast. Live in South Carolina and don't get to go back as much as I would like but always have a good time trail riding for hours when I do go. If you are a prima donna this is not the place for you but if you enjoy camping with your horses and riding the trails then it is.

• Pa
      15th of Mar, 2016

I live on the beach in NC and drive to LV whenever I can and can't wait to go back. There's a Hilton in Charlotte and probably a horse that takes quarters. After an amazing 3 hr ride covered in sweat I came back, grabbed a cold beer and laughed with all the people I met. No red carpet needed. Wrong turn yuppie

• Tr
      21st of Apr, 2017

We were just at Love Valley and it has cleaned up since we were there back in 2009 or so. I defiantly is old and rustic which gives it that look. I m looking forward to bringing my horse and going trail riding there.

28th of Nov, 2017

Attended Love Valley Music and Arts Festival way back in 1970. Had a blast.