LA Fitness / impossible to cancel

Attention: Mr. Greg Abbott

300 West 15th Street

Austin , TX 78701

Mr. Abbott,

We are writing you to file a formal complaint against La Fitness. Since August of 2007, we have been trying to pay our final bill and cancel our membership with LA Fitness.

Initially, we tried to pay the balance and cancel over the phone. Unfortunately, we were told we must come into the gym where we signed up. Once we journeyed to the gym, we would be permitted to cancel our membership.

We went to our local gym. The name an address is:

TOCO HILLS

2880 N. DRUID HILL

ATLANTA , GA 30329

[protected]

We told to speak to the “operations manager”. Her name is Ashley. Ashley told us we needed to update our account billing information. Since we were recently married, the old billing information was referring to our old account.

At that moment, we simply offered to pay cash, write a check or use the debit card. No payment option could be received at the club. Ironically, all forms of payments were accepted when opened the account.

Furthermore, we were told to go online to cancel our membership. Ashley asked me if we had an online account. We prompted said no. Ashley advised me that she could simply create an online account. Ashley asked to wait a moment so that she could create two online accounts. Once the two online accounts were created, Ashley assured me that we could login and cancel.

Once the account was created, we respectfully asked her to cancel our memberships. She told me that we had to go online ourselves to cancel the membership. She stated that she could not cancel our membership. However, instead, she would be very happy to go online and update our billing information. Ashley was very persisted with updated our billing information. This is weird anxiety especially if we were extremely desperate to cancel our account. Ashley told us that we had to go home and login to cancel the account.

We went home. We logged in an attempt to finally cancel our accounts. We prompted to download a cancellation form. Per the online instructions, we to complete the form and mail it to the below address:

LA Fitness International, LLC

2810 Trinity Mills #209 - #322

Carrollton, TX 75006

We did this. However, we are receiving calls from them asking us to update our billing information. We have been explained that we have cancelled our account and we followed the instructions to cancel our account by mailing in the form. We were told that they did not received the form. We demanded to be cancel while speaking to the representative on the phone. The representative said that they could not cancel our membership. They again, almost robotically, stated that they could go online and update our billing information.

Please review this web link for more detail as it further explains the ongoing pain of the cult-like activities of the gym.

“http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/153287/scammed_at_la_fitness.html?page=3

Under separate cover, I will be mailing LA Fitness another final payment for my wife. We are concerned that this may impact our credit.

We would appreciate if you could address this issue.

Va

Comments

• Lq
      30th of Apr, 2008

I have also been tryig to cancell my membershiop since August 2007. I phone my location on at the Camp Creek Market Place. I was first told I had to download the form online and fax it in. Needless to say there is and was no fax number or instructions to fax the cancellation form. My next visit to the gym to resolve the issue I ran into another lady who was experienceing the same problem. She told me she had to sign up on line to download a form and mail it in. We exchanged contact information and she provided me with a copy of the form whick I mad duplicates of. I have mailed the form in twice and now it has been 18 months and they are still taking money out of my account and no one will return my phone calls. I called my gym again this time I was given the member services managers name and number. Keisha Brown - Hawkings. I have been leaving her voicemails for over a month now and she will not return my calls. As it stand they have now deducted over one-thousand dollars from my account since I cancelled.

I am looking for others who are willing to join me in a class-action against LA Fitness. This is a scam and they should be prosecuted. I have contacted the Atlanta Journal Constitution our local paper and I will be meetng with Consumer Affairs and hoping by them airing it on television other victims will come out and we can put a stop to this scam for once and for all.

• El
      7th of Jun, 2008

The address in the letter fo LA Fitness is a UPS Store PO BOX..
    LA Fitness International, LLC

2810 Trinity Mills #209 - #322

Carrollton, TX 75006

• Mi
      7th of Jun, 2008

I had the same problem, I was working close by LA fintness few years ago. Now that due to my job hour, I can't go to work out anymore. I called, mailed the cancelation letter, my account still open and being charged $35 a month.
    It is very ridiculous.. Wish we can get help somewhere.

• Ca
      24th of Jul, 2008

It suprises me that an organization the size of LA Fitness does nor have an e-mail address to allow for customer comments, one has to dial a long distance number to get customer service.
    Is the senior management of this operation so insecure that they need such annonimity?
    Secondly, they are unable to differeciat e between individual members of the same family? It's not rocket science to change your software and data system

Wake up LA Fitness and join the 21st century!!

• Pr
      6th of Aug, 2008

LETS FIGHT BACK!I WORK IN A PR OFFICE AND HAVE GREAT CONNECTIONS!

I joined LA fitness December 07 and had my free personal training session where that idiot of trainer told me to lose 10-20 pounds...Im 5'8" tall and 125 pounds...WTF!
    I yelled at him and told him that I will never come back again, because one of my best friends nearly died because of an eating disorder.

So, the next day they called me to ask if I was alright and I said no and that I wanted to cancel the membership immediately.After trying to convince me to stay they finally agreed to send me the form. I never received anything, so I called them and they said I should go online. I did, but i didn't wanna set up an account so I called them again and the lady told me that the problem will be solved. they will call me back.
    because I was graduating I didn't have the time to follow up with them.

when I canceled in MAY(!!!) my Swiss credit card they started calling me non stop. then I realized that they have been using my card all the time, because I was so stupid to slide my card once over there!Since then I was sent from one place to the other and apparently all their printers are out of order...sure, but they still can print out applications!!!

I'm working for a PR guy and he discovered in 1989 a major scam with the parking meters in LA where the city had to pay over 15 million dollars back to the people that got parking tickets at manipulated parking meters. He is very well connected and we are going to the media now. If you want to be part of it let me know.I'm trying to collect as many angry people as possible!

• Br
      13th of Aug, 2008

Well I just can't imagine why you can't cancel a membership and why LA Fitness lies so much someone needs to start a Class Action suit against LA fitness and put them in there place.

11th of Sep, 2008

also tried to cancel and jump through hoops to do so. Nowhere on the paperwork does it say you have to send a cancellation via certified mail, well 2 months afterward and 2 payments later now I have to prove that the letter was sent along with a form I 've never heard of. Long story short
    this is bullsh** and a way for L.A. Fitness to steal from people!!
    I wouldn't advise anyone to join and better yet will go out of my way to discourage them from doing so. More power to the persons going for the class action lawsuit!!!

James R.

• Cl
      13th of Mar, 2009

I have also tried time and time again to cancel my membership, even giving a telephone representative my address so that he could mail me my cancellation form. I can't believe they make it this difficult. This is obviously the way they are making money out there.

I signed up through my employer years ago and they signed up hundreds of us. I am wondering how how many of those people (many of who were laid off, myself included, during the mortgagage dive) still have memberships they cannot cancel!

This is really frustruating because I feel like they have all the odds in their favor.

I get the runaround calling the club, going online, it's a never ending vicious cycle!

Claudia Quesada
    claudia.quesada@gmail.com

• Bk
      24th of Mar, 2009

I myself joined lafitness in March of 08. Shortly thereafter, my daughter (9) was diagnosed with Type1 diabetes. My heart and sole felt as if it had been ripped out of my body.

I understood from lafitness that I had a one year membership (no cancellation) and they signed me up (I didn't realize they did so) for three months of training. Which was a joke. 6 visits 5 trainers. HELLO!!!

I've been trying to cancel for over a year and to date they are still taking money from my account, over $700 and I can't cancel.

Looks as if we are off to court.

• Th
      23rd of Apr, 2009

I just printed off my cancellation form and will mail it in tomorrow...can't wait to see how annoying the next few months will be! woo hoo!
    I'll be more than happy to help a class action suit get filed if I run into the many problems I've read on this site and others!
    To be continued...

• Tr
      4th of Mar, 2010

I'll be happy to join a class action lawsuit. The only way that you can cancel it is to go to the facility, fill out the paper work there, and send it REGISTERED mail. Or else you'll get the "We have no record of receiving a cancellation request".

• Nj
      23rd of Sep, 2010

Yes, they lied to me when they told me I could just pay for 3 months (North Brunswick, NJ) since I only needed membership over the winter.

As my membership "ended" in March, I discarded their card, and never went back...

They kept withdrawing from my account for one month after that, well I thought maybe I owe them some. Then another month was charged, at this point they have 6 months of fraudulent charges.

I finally told my bank not to allow more withdrawals. Over the next two weeks I received over 10 calls per week from LA Fitness (texas, Californaia, etc.) . No I do not have time to talk top you clowns and fools at LA fitness!

Finally, I sent a letter to CANCEl, but they still claim I owe them one month!

I did enjoy their facilities, that is the only good thing. I wish they could just take a check for three months and never touch my account.

• Ri
      23rd of Sep, 2010

I have experienced that here in Australia. The gym continued to withdraw from my account for 2 months. I complained to the bank.

In the end I had to change my account number with my bank.

What a hassle, hence why I will never join a gym again.

• Nj
      23rd of Sep, 2010

Yes, it also passed my mind. Close your bank account when you are ready to cancel membership!

Bank of America will not honor my request to deny withdrawal of funds from LA FITNESS unless it is for a specific dollar amount (example $40.00). Now this is about Bank of America. Bank of America will decline withdrawal that month for $40 from LA Fitness, but would otherwise authorize withdrawal of $48.14. Verified with their customer service (BofA).

I thought that was MY bank account.

• Ri
      24th of Sep, 2010

Same here Ripped...I had to do the exact same thing...I went to Fernwood to tell them they could no longer ripp me off and walked out...they looked at me like stunned mullets...they knew all along what they were doing...

Same thing with dating sites and zynga poker on facebook...dangerous to give out your ccard details...you think your in a secure site (facebook), but really your not...my advice is ...don't pay for anything on the net if you can help it...

• Pr
      27th of Sep, 2010

I am having the same issues, only i sent in my form and they are claiming no record of it. They accrued charges and now want money from me to full process my cancellation "extortion" i feel. I have not visited a LA fitness in over a year! I am in AZ, but this location is the one that has called me:

The L A Fitness Intl Llc

(949) 255-7200

2600 Michelson Dr Ste 300
    Irvine, CA 92612

I just submitted a complaint to the Irvine BBB, hoping to get this resolved soon.

• Ga
      12th of Jul, 2011

I have the same problem
    I has been charged 100 dollars after I canceled my membership

• Th
      6th of Mar, 2014

This is the LA fitness in California at Valley View and Chapman. Managers are Evelyn Nonez and Matt(won't give me his last name)
    To my surprise, a manager (Evelyn) came into the sona where I sit with the rest of the ladies and accused me that I am the one who use too much paper and she had talked to me before, if I continue to do that, my membership will be revoked. I asked her are you sure... it... was... I since I don't recall talking to you before. She insisted and called the cleaning ladies in and pointed at my face. I'm shock, after finish my shower, I came out and ask what is the manager name, and she get angry and ask for my membership card and said, She gonna revoke me right now. I said just give me your name and I will have my lawyer talk to you. She called another male manager (Matt) and they both act the same way. They give me their name and I ask for their phone number, they said I just have to look up them up myself. Oh my God! I don't know what to say to these people. I felt disrespecful, I don't pay LA fitness to get treated this way. I hope they refund my money and stop charging my credit card since Evelyn is the one who revoke my membership and said they would refund my money. Let wait and see if they honor their words. I'm sad by the accusation, I called the head quarter, no one pick up the phone. I wondered is there justice in LA fitness club?...how can they do this in America? I wonder how many got ill treated like I do?
    Thuy Nguyen