[Resolved] Intelius.com / unauthorized charges

1 Bellevue, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (888) 445-2727

This company has been making unauthorized charges on my credit card. They harged my account numerous times, in Jan, April and June 2008 for a subscription service I did not order or authorize. Total loss $66.00. Intelius does not have customer service personel to respond to my omplaints, so I disputed the charges with my credit card company.
You may call Customer Service at [protected]
(Monday-Friday 6:30am - 4:30pm PST)

This company is a fraud and they are scamming the general public of most likely millions of dollars. Where is the US Attorney General? Shut down this company! File a class action lawsuit against INTELIUS.COM !!!

• Resolution statement

• Intelius Customer Care's Response, Jul 08, 2010

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 5am – 8pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Comments

11th of Apr, 2008

We found two charges from this company on our charge card in March 2008 that we did not authorize. Apparently there is something with this company going on that when the charges were put on, our credit card company put on a fraud alert and have temporarily shut down our card. So beware. This is supposed to be some kind of people information service, does background checks, etc. But I wouldn't use them.

26th of Sep, 2008

I agree. I had the exact same experience with Intelius. I did one $3.00 transaction and then they started charging me $29.95 per month after that on my credit card without my authorization. After calling in & waiting on hold for a long time I was finally told that I had to say "no" to that service within 6 days after purchasing my $3.00 transaction or else the charges started automatically. What a crock. This is a total scam, they should be sued... any lawyers out there for a class action?

• Ab
      2nd of Oct, 2008

I work at a law firm that specializes in consumer class actions and we are investigating Intelius. I'd like to hear from others who have had these same experiences with Intelius. Please email me, abby1100ny@cmht.com.

Thanks,
    Abigail

• Br
      16th of Oct, 2008

Intelious is a big rip off. They charge for services you do not order. When you go to get the charges back they say it's not them. this is not true. they transfer you to a affiliate site where they make money on the bogus charges. This is a fraud company.

• Ti
      17th of Oct, 2008

Agreed. They won't answer the phone and the web site won't allow you to un-subscribe. I called my credit card company and asked them to dispute the charge. I will do this as long as I have to. I am going to report this to our state attorney general.

27th of Feb, 2009

They took $160 dollars from me for no services. I want to join a class action lawsuit?

27th of Feb, 2009

They stole $160 for no services.

6th of Mar, 2009

I too have multiple Intelius charges I did not authorize, even after I canceled my subscription. Total loss: $180.50 over a period of less than three months.

• Vi
      21st of Jul, 2009

i am in the same mess i have lost $19.99 so far... i dont know what to do... i had only one purchase of $0.99 and now they charged me for $19.99. Can some one help me or tell me what should i do? plz thx.

• Ge
      3rd of Aug, 2009

If someone will start the class action lawsuit then I am sure many people will get on board. They also give your account information to another company and they charge your account anywhere from $19.95 up to $45.00. This is about as illegal as it gets. They should all end up in prison.

• Mo
      2nd of Dec, 2009

Intelius.com has been charging my account 19.95 for the past 4 months when I never authorized them to charge anything. I have never even heard of intelius.com until I recently went thru my bank statement. Their supervisor refused to credit back the 4 months of charges even though they could clearly see that I had never accessed such an account. They're ripping customers off and taking our money without us even knowing about it. They've offered to credit back a month of the service, even though they've already taken $80 bucks from me without authorization. GRRRR!!! How do companies with unjust practices stay in business? Boycott Intelius.com and watch your bank statements for fraudulent charges near you!

14th of Dec, 2009

I did enroll in on service with this company and cancelled right after the information I wanted was found. They activated my account without my permission and have taken two more charges from my bank acccount. I don't know what to do. I hate to close the account, but if they do not credit back these latest two bogus charges I am going to do just that and report them to the Better Business Bureau. Their business practices are dishonest and misleading.

• Ne
      17th of Jan, 2010

This company is sharing your personal data with the world. They need to be stopped.

• Na
      8th of Jun, 2010

It's hard to believe these people are still getting away with sharing your personal information with the whole world. Especially with identity theft so rampant. The fact that they still exist makes me wonder if they're not in league with the government.
    Please Napolitano, SHUT THEM DOWN!!!

• Mi
      8th of Jun, 2010

can't contact Intelius to cancel membership. I have tried so many times. Can you help?

• Bc
      15th of Jul, 2010

I ordered one search and thought I was being billed $5.95. The search I did pay for was not helpful at all and I ended up locating the information I needed on my own using some local phone books/records. About a week later I noticed two charges on my bank statement for $19.95.

I called the customer service number and they indicated that one $19.95 charge was a package deal that allowed me to conduct 25 more searches and the other $19.95 charge was for an identity protection service. I did not realize I had signed up for either service and the customer service rep did indicate that they would drop my service and reimburse me these amounts. Although I was thankful that they responded and agreed to take care of this ASAP, I believe that their intent is to hope that you won't notice these additional fees and unknowingly sign-up for these package "deals".

• Bl
      29th of Jul, 2010

I just noticed this on my statement! I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Let me know when the suit starts!

• Ke
      29th of Jul, 2010

They have billed me twice.

• St
      9th of Jan, 2011

It's January 2011 and this company is STILL doing this!! I just canceled my credit card with Chase because of these people! I used them for a people search ONCE last year and apparently they've been charging me $19.95 a month Plus $.99 to see if my credit card was active. Thankfully this was caught within a month of them starting it!