Hughesnet / scam advertising!

1 Germantown, MD, United States Review updated:

I am ALL OVER filing a class action suit against Hughes Net so if anyone is seriously interested in doing so and knows how to go about it, please let me know ASAP. I'm serious. Really serious. I won't go into every detail of our experience with this company but I'll just hit some 'high' notes. Total pun because seriously, this situation couldn't have gotten any lower.

We live about 5 miles outside of a city. Due to that, for whatever reason, we have NO options for internet besides dial up. My husband just got a new job which requires him to have a very fast internet connection. So, we finally decided to bite the bullet and look at getting satellite. We found our options to be Hughes Net and Wildblue. After some research, it appeared that Hughes Net was going to be the only way to go due to the fact that Wildblue's ONE tower already had the max on customers.

So, here we go with the nightmare. We had the service installed by some good ole boys from about an hours drive away. They came, put this enormous, Star Trek looking contraption on the side of our house, ran cables to our office, hooked everything up and told us it would probably be about 48 hours before the service would be up to speed and running fast.

We waited for that to happen and it never did. We started the customer service route after about a week of dealing with slower than dialup speeds and this was the beginning of the true nightmare.

We never spoke to ANYONE who spoke English, our hold times for even talking to someone was on average, at least 45 minutes, we were promised call backs by Tier 4 reps and never received them, we were told we had 30 days to cancel the service with no penalty and it turned out to be a lie (they're trying to nail us for $390 and some change), we would be on the phone for 3 hours with someone--taking up an entire evening away from family time---only to discover that the problem still wasn't fixed... the list goes on and on.

Finally, I got so furious that I was literally screaming at this woman---who by the way, probably didn't understand half of what I was saying, what with her broken English and all---and I DEMANDED to speak to a supervisor. To which, I was told that they basically didn't exist. When I pressed, and I do mean, PRESSED, the issue, she told me he was on the phone with someone and couldn't speak to me. WHAT?!

I emphatically told her to cancel our service and that she had better not be sending me any bill whatsoever because they would never see one cent from us. She told me they WOULD be sending a bill for the aforementioned amount and that it would be my responsibility to get the contraption off the side of the house or else they would charge us even more. She told me if I really wanted to, I could try to call back and speak to the technical support people and maybe they would send someone out to remove it. I told her they better just get someone out here to get this piece of ### off my house. I rarely curse at reps but I have HAD IT!!!

All in all, I have NEVER, EVER in my LIFE dealt with a company so unprofessional, mickey moused and ridiculous... in all my days, never.

And I have a bill for almost $400 from them. Which I won't be paying a penny of. My only question is where do I start on remedying the situation legally??? Because I am JUST that kind of woman... I am ready to go on this. My husband lost work time---he had to go to hotel parking lots to do his work on his laptop so he could have the speed he needed---and we spent countless hours trying to fix this with this company and got absolutely no resolution. Just a big fat bill and some alien, teaser looking crap stuck to the side of our house.

Anybody ready to take some action? Please get back to me. I'm definitely ready...

Va

Comments

• De
      19th of Jun, 2008

So did you get the issue resolved? I am having the same problems and they even took money out of my VISA account without asking and I had to change my account number to stop this action.No one there is in the US and they don't know how to fix things or how to make them better. High speed ?? I don't think so. Dial up is a sfast.

2nd of Sep, 2008

I have had nothing but problems with hughes since we signed up. it is slower than dial up. when i called their so-called customer service they told me that we had exceeded the fair access policy. we had not even used the computer at all in 48 hours at that time-we were not even home. they then told me i had to upgrade to a more expensive plan so this problem would not happen again-it's even slower than the 1st one. when we had it installed, their tech refused to put the satellite on our roof, as we were told it would be. we live in an association & are already being threatened with a fine if it is not moved-he attached it to a brick fence on the side of our house. hughes says we have to pay for it to be put where it is supposed to be-it is not their problem...and email??? don't even get me statrted on that problem...

• Ha
      11th of Sep, 2008

Perhaps starting with the consumer protection agencies and the BBB in your area those are always good choices. Then don't forget the federal level agencies that you can complain to. They are blantently using deceptive advertising to expand their cutomer base and do not offer in my opinion anything close to a broadband expeirence. There should be a way they can be forced to demostrate their t.v. and printed claims.

• Re
      25th of Nov, 2008

I have a similiar complaint. Highesnet is too expensive and was slow, they ripped me off for $300.00 for disconnecting. The ususal disconnect fee for other companies is $150.00. They also own Direct TV, another ripoff for the consumer. My advice is to stay away from Hughesnet and Direct TV and any other companies owned by Hughesnet.

• Ah
      1st of Mar, 2009

You Go Girl; Hughes.net sucks Their motto should be 50x slower than dialup.

• Ni
      8th of May, 2009

We (my wife and I) are most definitely ready to participate in and to support any class action law suit that can be taken against Hughesnet. In fact, I ended up here by performing a search regarding taking legal action against them.

It would take me forever to describe the experiences that I have had with them. In brief - False Advertising regarding speed and performance / False Advertising regarding installation fees / False information/promises regarding credits to re-imburse me for those installation fees / Being required to pay the shipping charges to return their faulty router after waitin over a week to be shipped a new one / Rude Customer Service / Straw that broke the camels back - unauthorized payments taken from my bank account after making a one-time payment over the phone - then refusal to reverse the payment.

I cannot in good faith, stand by and allow this company to take advantage of other people the way that they have us. If there is any possibility of participating in a class-action law suit...Please Advice!

• Jg
      11th of Jun, 2009

Hughes Net is a JOKE! We are in the same boat here. We have $400.00 invested in the equipment plus they want to charge us an additional $400.00 for breaking our contract. It was done thru the credit card company which they say they cannot help me with the automatic billing with Hughes Net without seeing our contract. What contract, I have nothing to show them because Hughes Net never gave me anything. We have had Hughes Net for 2 months and have had nothing but problems and I have been on the phone to their tech support off and on the entire time and gone thru the same steps we always go thru and NOTHING helps. Dial up internet would be high speed compared to this mess. I am interested in the class action suit and the addresses of anyone I can write letters of complaint to.

14th of Jun, 2009

Totally agree. My friend got hooked up to Hughes Net a week before me. She called and said it was great and that they had a really good special going on at the time. So i called and signed up. That was 35 days ago. First they say free installation - $125.00 you are going to end up paying because the satillite weighs over a 100lbs. and a pole mount is what they recomend (not to mention out here we get bad storms in the winter- 100 lbs on my roof isn't a good idea). So i had to pay $125.00 up front. Now keep in mind I bought our equipment-my friend leased hers. They billed me $460.00 up front- which is your charge of equipment and first month/last month service with an 18 month contract. There is a $150.00 mail in rebate that i have to fill out and mail in this week, if i cancel after 18 mon. Hughes net will buy the equipment back for $200.00 (so they say now). My friend called me frantick yest. she went to use her debit card and it was declined. Hughesnet overdrafted her account over $100.00. When she called she got someone from another country who couldn't speak english! They didn't tell her nor I that they would debt the account every month for billing-when we both called and said 'NO" send us an invoice every month-they say it will cost you $5.00 extra EVERY MONTH! For what???!!! Paper and postage they say. It's a JOKE! DON"T buy into it! I'm in a world of torture for 17 more months.
    I 'm very interested in the class action suit-get me the info! PLEASE!

• Pi
      24th of Aug, 2009

I'm so totally with you on this one. WORST ISP EVER. Despite the fact that I can't understand what they are saying...I'd rather go back to Charter than deal with these buffoons. Too bad for me, NO ONE else offers internet out here in the boonies. Get info about a class action ASAP, I'll be all in it!

• Sn
      10th of Dec, 2009

I agree 100%. I had them for 2 years due to the contract THAT I TRIED TO GET OUT OF 45 MINUTES after the installer left. FAP was a problem withing 45 minutes and has been for 2 years. Its good for email and very small amounts of browsing forget youtube and other media. Ive been trying to get a credit back for 45 plus days now that they owe me and agree that they owe me. Also their customer service is in the Philippines it took a total of 14 hours to get a friend of mine hooked up AFTER I GAVE THEM THE EQUIPMENT. 14 hours of phone time after an installer put it in. I wouldn't wish these people on my worst enemy.

• Ni
      13th of Dec, 2009

We have had to close "TWO" accounts (ad the advice of our bank) over Hughesnet! It began with unauthorized payments from our Visa...then we paid by a check...once they had our checking account information, they began making drafts from that. We now pay by money order.

A couple of months ago, the router went...of course they have no technicians available to fix it, so they had to mail us a new one (which took 2 weeks). They had the "nerve" to require us to pay return shipping for their faulty equipment!

It seems that there are many of us that want to do something about this...we just need to know how to go about it!

• Va
      23rd of Mar, 2010

hughes net, i believe there false advertizing about there speeds. They state you can download a intire album before you can download one song from dailup..what a joke we cant do it that fast. Also they set a limit of 200mg you can use before you lose speed..I have exceded this limit and dailup is zooming compared to the speed of hughes net. Also they have you in a fix, , , they say you have unlimited downloads at the hours of 2am- 7am, what a joke or haveing you cornered, who is willing to say up untill them hours to get what you want..See they have you in a fix. the 200mg limit they set you cant do nothing much untill you have used this up. 200mg is very small when it comes to downloads..Take a whole album, it would take 200mg to 500mg to download a intire album, and they know this. We had hughesnet about 2 weeks, and what i see is shocking, shure hate to see the bill..I see alot of bad comments about Hughesnet.do your research before jumping in to this investment please.

• Bu
      16th of Apr, 2010

As far as the phone call and insisting for almost an hour to speak to a supervisor AND telling them I would not pay them a dime ...I had the VERY same thing happen with me and Hughesnet! I called Hughesnet in Feb. to pay my bill current and end our service on March 1, 2010 because we would be moving and not keeping their internet. At the end of March I received a bill for another month of service. I called them and the nightmare began. First I was told by Jeff, in billing, that on Feb 22 when I talked to Ken...AND received a case number...that Ken did not make note to stop our service on April 1, 2010. On Feb 22, 2010 when I talked to Ken and paid the bill he told me that I had to pay the full month and would receive a refund from April 1 thru the end of the billing cycle. I told him I thought THAT was a bit ridiculous, but would do it anyway because I wanted the service stopped and would finally be rid of them and wanted to just do what it took to do so. I paid $158.78 on that day. Then on March 20, 2010 I received a bill for the next billing cycle and found out that my service was not stopped! I called and was given a reference number by Sam with technical support, then was transferred to Jeff in billing who and he began to argue with me when I told him that it was not my fault that Ken did not do his job and make note when I called to close my account and made the payment on Feb 22. I began to continuously ask for a supervisor and was told that he, himself (Jeff) was a supervisor, that there were no supervisors, that all of the supervisors were on the phone with others and could not talk to me, and finally...that there were no supervisors working at that time in billing that day. When I became irate and yelled that I was being taken advantage of and would not give them anymore money...I was put on hold for the 6th time and low and behold...a woman who said her name was Francis who could not speak much English either, got on the phone and said she was a supervisor and that she was briefed by Jeff and that they would stop my service as of that day and pro-rate what I owed them up till that date. There was nothing she could do, nothing no one could do, no other supervisors ...BLAH...BLAH...RIP OFF BLAH!!!
    I would GLADLY testify and get on the ban-wagon to teach this company a lesson! I received a bill for the pro-rated amount of $26.74. Now, we lived way out in the boonies and to have the correct internet to be able to home school our kids and for our Missionary work we were at the mercy of Hughesnet... and NOW, they still have me because if I do not pay this $26.74 it will go on my credit report against me! WHAT CAN WE DO!?!?!?!OBVIOUSLY THIS IS HOW THEY RUN THEIR BUSINESS AND THEY ARE MAKING A FINANCIAL KILLING RIPPING US OFF!!
    I plan on sending a letter telling "someone"..."anyone" off when I sent the check for $26.74! Also, reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.
    Please feel free to contact me.