Hollywood Tans / Extortion

1 Regency Plaza, Unit 2Brodheadsville, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 570-484-6390

I signed up for a 3 month unlimited package and received a free bottle of lotion (they make you use only thier lotion). With 3 weeks left on my package I go in and I'm told I need to buy new lotion because my lotion is too old and no longer effective. I still had 1/2 a bottle of lotion left and didn't want new lotion (the cheapest is about $40.00 a bottle). I was told I could not tan unless I purchased new lotion. I stated that I wanted a refund then because I was not purchasing lotion I did not want or need. I was told no refunds either. So now they have my money and refuse to allow me to use the service I am paying for. I asked then to show me where int he contract it states I am oblkigated to purchase new lotion after a specified period of time. I was told it wasn't part of any contract. So I am being told I have to purchase something that I am not contractually obligated to purchase or I can not use the services I purchased. Isn't that called extoriton???? I asked for the owners name and number and the employee said I only know his first name and can't give ou this number. What???? I was told to leave my info and he would call me. Still waiting on that. Sent numerous messages to Hollywood Tans.com and just receive automated we got you comment emails. No contact from a real person yet. So beware of signing up for Hollywood Tans.

More Hollywood Tans Complaints & Reviews

Comments

21st of Nov, 2009

I also purchased the same package and was told my lotion had expired. I called the lotion company and they told me it was ridiculous that their products are good for up to 2 years. When I told that to that ### Joey he changed his story and said it was his policy. I contacted HT headquarters and was told that this was a not an HT practice and was "poor business". Still, I get nothing in return.

DO NOT USE HOLLYWOOD TANS IN MONROE COUNTY PA!!! THEY ARE A SCAM!!!

• Cu
      26th of Jan, 2010

Well I was just Searching for the hours of Bussiness to start using Hollywood Tans. This definitely put a halt to that! There is another tanning spot about a 1/4 mile down 115. Ill be going there. Thanks for the valuable Info!!!

• Ti
      11th of Feb, 2010

I have a very similar experience with the same location of Hollywood Tans!!! They are ripping people off! I too purchased a package for myself and my daughter. When we returned for a second tanning session, we were told we could not go in unless we purchased and used their lotions that we extrememly expensive ($40.00 being the cheapest). I complained as to why this had not been told to me the day I purchased the package???? No response except I can sell you this single use package for $5.00. When I looked it over, it has right on the front of it "Trail Size, FREE SAMPLE" and even states on the back NOT FOR RESALE!!! Yet he is selling it for $5.00 a piece? Someone has to do something with that place as it is a total SCAM!

• St
      11th of May, 2010

This Joey actor did the same thing to me. I purchased my three month package in April, 2010. In May, he told me I had to purchase new lotion because the lotion I bought a month ago expired. He told me I could not use the tanning bed until I purchased new lotion. I contacted the Better Business Bureau (which gives this company an F rating), and I contacted the Attorney General's Office. I made a appointment to check out Paradise Tanning (which received at B+ rating with the BBB), they have all their prices for each different package plan listed on a price sheet. This actor at Hollywood Tans makes up his own prices as he goes along. The girls at Paradise also told me they have at least 5 new people a day who have left Hollywood Tans and joined Paradise. I feel the whole Hollywood Tan Corporation is just as bad as Joey. They KNOW about this guy and continue to allow him to rip-off the people of the West End. I can't wait to see this place go under!! It's just a matter of time. Also buyers beware... Joeys family operates the other Hollywood Tans in Monroe County!!

14th of May, 2010

OMG!! I can't believe that Corp Hollywood Tan would let this person Joey still be a rep for any Hollywood Tan. He is a rip-off and a scam... I reported his action to the Pocono Record. If they want a good story, this will be the place to go... With this bad economy his should not do this...

• Mz
      24th of May, 2010

Good Info For anyone whom may want to make a complaint

Administrative Contact:

ADMIN, DNS
    2100 Renaissance Blvd
    King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 19406
    +1.6107554000 Fax -- +1.6107550255

Also you can lodge a complaint with the BBB

Here is their listing for this site

Hope it helps :)

• Ri
      9th of Jun, 2010

WHAT A RIPE OFF! I got two $50.00 gift cards for Hollywood Tans on Monday, Tuesday I went to Hollywood tans in Brodheadsville, PA. I had called earlier and was told by "Joey" that they take the gift cards and I asked for the price of ten visits. Joey told me it was $35.00 and for 20 visits they are $65.00. He told me it was a 1/2 price sale only good till 6pm (It was 4pm). I was not planning on tanning when I went just wanted to look around and check out prices. He pressured me into "trying it out" before I buy a package. he then handed me a bottle of tanning lotion. I told him I have tanning lotion and I use one brand. He told me I have to use what he gave me. I asked him if this was a sample, I want a sample. He told me that was the sample bottle. OK, made the mistake of 'trying it out" I got in the booth and looked at the bottle he gave me and it was 1/2 full, OK he said it was the sample bottle so I guess other people have used some too. I did not use it because I know the lotion that works for me so I used my lotion I keep in my truck.
    I got out, not to happy and thinking I have a bad feeling about this place. I came around the corner and "Joey" had his zipper unzipped and the girl sitting at desk had her drees up! You could not miss this when you looked down at the counter where he stood. I told him I would go ahead ahead and do the ten visits for $35.00 and I have the gift cards (the thrid time I told hime I had them) He told me he would not sell the $35.00 package to me. I have to take the higher price package or nothing! He charged $310.00 to my credit card and then took both my gift cards and told me they were no good. If they are no good then why can't I have them back I will call Hollywood tans in Scranton where they came from and find out why they are no good. He told me he had to keep them and would not give them back to me. I told him I wanted the numbers off the back of them to contacted Hollywood tans were they can from. He told me no he would not give them to me. He was very rude and mean to me. I asked to speak to a manager he would not let me and after what felt like forever fighting him to talk to a manager, He finally "called a manager" he would not let me talk to the "manager". After once again arguing back and forth I finally get the phone to talk to her... IT WAS HIS MOMMY at Hollywood tan in Marshalls creek!!! She laught at me and told me to pay up!!! I was so upset I got home called my credit card company and then tryed to call Hollywood tan but it was almost 7:30pm by now! So I googled hollywood tans in brodheadsville and found all kinds of people saying about him ripping them off! and there is a clase action law suit on them!!! I wish I would have seen this before I went! I got one tanning visit a used bottle of tanning lotion (that I did not even use!) and a "FACE " lotion he said I HAVE to buy.. I do not even tan my face! And was ripped off $410.00!!! I am so mad I called all the local TV stations and newspaper, i am calling Tom Corbett Consumer Protection 1800-441-2555, I am contacting BBB, Hollywood tan corp, anyone that I can call! I want this fixed!!! I spent the night with a upset stomic getting sick and bloody noise from the stress this has brought on me! I have no problem with paying for one tanning visit and when I called other Hollywood tan locations ( Scranton and even in CA) they told me I was riped off and no way is it that much of one tanning visit and even the highest price lotion they sell it would not be no where near that much! At the most $25.00 ($6.00 for one visit and about $12- $15 for the lotion)!!!

19th of Jul, 2010

For those of you concerned about Joey Maguilo, he is no longer in charge or employed at the Brodheadsville Hollywood Tans!!!

Things have been way different at the salon, NICE people working there, really CLEAN, newer machines, and everything is actually priced correctly!!! Seems like thier making some serious changes and I suggest you give them another shot, Hollywood Tans still has the best machines in the industry so its worth going back. I think going in and telling them the problems you have had, their really looking to accomodate and help out anyone who feels they were mistreated.

Ohh... they have some new promitions listed right on the table so you can see what the prices are... they were offering buying a month getting one free or something like that...

Give them another shot... Seems like a whole new Hollywood Tans!!!

• Ga
      5th of Oct, 2010

okay- Sam e- Joey Maguilo still works at Hollywood Tans in brodheadsville and is still the manager. I just recently went there with my mom to go tanning. I walked in and he automatically took me to a tanning booth when i asked to pay he said 'tan first you can pay after'. I had no idea what the prices were and after i got out i say it was 29$ per visit. He is a con artist and conned me into buying a month package for 129$ a month. when i signed i saw how much it was and i asked for a refund and he didnt give it to me he said there was no way. Today i went there and he said i couldnt use my own lotion, i was not aware of this since any other tanning salon does not care what lotion you use. His lotion is 40 dollars a bottle and that is the cheapest. STAY AWAY from this place, even if management changes, i was treated poorly and although i have the majority of the month left for unlimited tanning, i am not going back. whoever wrote the comment before me has obviously not been there.

• Ru
      6th of Nov, 2010

I think the experience of this guy in Monroe County, PA is crappy treatment of a customer and I feel bad you were obviously ripped off.

BUT people should know that Hollywood Tans is a FRANCHISE and policies differ from store to store based on who actually owns it. I have had memberships at 2 different Hollywood Tans for 4 years continuously and have had an EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE at both salons. They are both in suburban Philadelphia, PA... And not owned by the same person. I am in no way affliated with Hollywood Tans nor do I know any franchise owner... I'm just saying that if you go to an HT salon that is owned by an a-hole... That doesn't mean ALL salons are that shady and crappy.

...Just my 2 cents...

• Ni
      3rd of Jan, 2011

I received a gift card for Christmas for $270!! For Hollywood Tans. They only have booths which I can't use because of my medical condition! And they will not refund my money!! Said to sell the card which is impossible...Ive been trying! This is ridiculous! I tried using their booths and got no color! Old bulbs and I broke out in a rash EWWWW. DON'T GO TO HOLLYWOOD TANS LLC. Manager lied to me saying there is NO one I can talk to. There is a corp. number is NJ. BTW They never returned my phone call!

• Tr
      28th of Mar, 2011

This guy "JOEY" is a total money-grubbing snake-oil salesman of the highest order. He is now working at the STROUDSBURG Hollywood Tans about 4 miles away (which his mother owns), and he has also set up a competing tanning salon (of a different name) in Brodheadsville close to the Hollywood Tans (where he used to work before the new owners correctly got rid of him), and thinks he will compete successfully in that location. Too bad there are not daily picket lines in front of that other "JOEY-RUN" salon, because "JOEY" is an arrogant, all-knowing con artist who prides himself in being able to trick you out of your money via a variety of schemes. BEWARE of this guy and his parents. Do NOT buy anything from him. He will RIP YOU OFF !! He is the most customer-UNFRIENDLY character I have ever had to deal with. If you see him, TURN AROUND AND RUN OUT !! !!! RUN !!!

• Sk
      8th of Aug, 2011

I was recently at Hollywood Tans and the trashy Manguilo family is still running this place and ripping people off! Joey and Candice and their parents all work there and are constantly scamming people. They refused to refund me my 50 dollars for a spray tan I didn't end up receiving. The manager aka their mommy hid in the back when I asked to speak with her. This place is dirty and is run by PURE TRASH. Stay Far Away!!