HelpMeDownLoad.com / misleading sale of useless services

This company uses deceptive practices to obtain subscriptions to their services. I was looking for the Avast anti-virus free download so I searched for "avast download" and their page came up ahead of Avast in the Google search ranking. I actually thought that Avast was now charging $12 for a three year subscription to their services when I agreed to pay. It turned out that I had agreed to pay $36 for the three year subscription to helpmedownload.com ($12 per year). In addition, there were check boxes on the website that would sign me up for additional services for monthly fees. I think I unchecked them all but I might have missed one. I won't know if I am up for monthly fees until I start getting billed. This company has phone numbers to call but they don't answer their phones. They don't have any cancellation policy that I am aware of.

They offer downloads that are free from other websites. They leach off of legitimate businesses like Avast with some help from Google page ranking. They are not a legitimate business. However, they may be keeping themselves barely on the right side of the law.

I don't know what Google can do about them but at least their page ranking could be taken down to a step below the legitimate companies they leach business off of.

Sincerely,

James M Spencer
jamesmikespencer@gmail.com

Comments

• Da
      12th of Feb, 2009

My Credit Card was also debited $18.15 by HelpMeDownload.co also for something I did not asked for and the next month I was debited another $16.83 dollars. Yours faithfully Keith Boyd dkboyd@XTRA>CO>NZ

• He
      17th of Jun, 2009

Hello David,

I am a customer service representative of helpmedownload.com. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and for your negative experience. Regarding your concern about the charges that you got, we will be more than happy to resolve your issue either via web chat below, or email, or calling our toll free number.

HELPMEDOWNLOAD.COM
    US Phone Support 1-800-978-7657
    UK Phone Support 0808 238 0026
    AU Phone Support 1-800-469-290

Web-chat is now available! You can visit the website: www.onlinechat.helpmedownload.com for online chat support. Or you can send an email to support@helpmedownload.com

Our Operations is available 24/7.