Helio / Scam and cheating

I have been with Helio since Dec. 2006 and my bills have always been the same until I added an additional line in Dec. 2007. My monthly bill for both phones was right around $150.00 per month. Before I moved this past summer I contacted Helio and gave them my new address, told them to stop the autopay and asked if I would still have good service in the area I was moving too and if my bill would change... asked if I would be in Roaming. I was told everything would stay the same. My first bill after moving was double... OK, I was busy and paid it, next bill was for $314.00 and when I called and talked to Carl I told him you guys are either charging for *free* text messages or for Roaming but there is no way we went over our 1500 minute plan. He said if I paid $175 that day and agreed to up my plan to the 2500 minute plan that he could accept the $175 so even though I argued and told him how unhappy I was for this mess I went ahead and made yet another over payment. Then, the next bill *HELLO* was for $1, 200 I was shocked at first and then I laughed a little because this has to be a joke. Getting a hold of anyone who is willing to help is the real joke! I have talked to so many people at Helio, sent SEVERAL emails and not one reply from them and have also sent them a certified letter trying to clear up this mess and still no response. I have a lawyer who works pro-bono for me since my husband passed away and he will now be getting involved. These companies are the reason that people like us end up with bad credit. They keep getting away with it and it's unfair. I will be writing anyone I think will listen state, local and federal.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      10th of Jan, 2009

To whom it may concern,
    I am completely frustrated with Helio and my current situation with them. I am even more disturbed by what I am reading on different blogs and consumer sites on the internet. There has got to be some way we can all get together and do something to Helio. How in this modern age can a phone company screw so many people and continue to run a business?
    I signed up with Helio in June 08 and was frauded out of $393.69 immediately. $150 of that was for a prepay account which would allow me to "not be tied in to any contract with them" and be applied to my account immediately. NEVER HAPPENED. Another $100 was for a rebate that "I knew sounded fishy at the time" the sales rep said they would send in for me so that I didn't have to worry about it. NEVER HAPPENED. The rest was for a phone that never worked properly from day one. When I got back from vacation almost two weeks later I went to the store that I purchased the phone from and they were gone, closed, out of business! I then called customer service. They told me that they would have to send me a new phone, would take 5-7 days. I said that was unacceptable. I already went about two weeks without a phone that worked I wasn't about to go another week. I asked them if I could go to another retailer where they sold Helio and trade it in for a new phone that worked. They told me repeatedly that they were not set up that way and couldn't do that for me. I told them that was unacceptable that any other phone company I had with insurance would give me a loaner phone immediately until they fixed or replaced my old phone. Two hours later of phone conversations and threatening to leave the phone company and service and going down the street to get another plan and service I was talked into staying with them with a $300 credit to my account. Worst mistake I made since signing on with them to begin with. Still no $300 credit, still no $100 rebate, still no $150 pre pay credit to my account, and still no phone that works. I told them to go screw themselves and signed a plan with another company, but I am still receiving bills from them saying I owe them over $275 plus there saying I owe them another $175 for early termination when technically they owe me money. I spoke with another supervisor there who said the supervisor who promised me the $300 credit was terminated. She spoke with her supervisor while I was on the phone and they said they would honor the credit to my account and place my balance owed to them to zero. She lied it never went through. At this point I don't even want their money I just want them to wipe my account out of their system. I have documented everything. I even have the business card of the sales rep that scammed me out of my deposit and rebate. No one is returning my calls at corporate. The lady that promised me the credit to my account still works there but avoids my calls. She is always on another line or out to lunch. The employees there all say that even though they're a phone company they don't have the ability to transfer me to her phone and that no one has voice mail???????? Yeah right.
    I have challenged the original charge with my bank and they are going after Helio, but what do I do to keep them from damaging my credit??? Do I take them to small claims and debate the charges??? Can we "little people" get together somehow and go after these [censored] ###s running this business. Does Sky Dayton, "if that's even his name" who runs the company have any idea what his employees are doing?
    Please help me!

Thanks,
    Frustrated Michelle

• Ga
      18th of Jan, 2009

Helio is the most "customer-unfriendly" business I've come across! Helio's customer service is a joke. I just get apologies in email and no action. My contract is up in April, I can't wait to sign up with a more established cellphone service provider. If you have any sure-fire way of getting at these ###s, let me know. I'd really love to physically beat up on Sky "###-###" Dayton and beat up his boyfriend too.

28th of Jan, 2009

EVERYONE CONTACT THE BBB-PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS
    They are screwing us with a 2 year contact! We did NOT agree to a 2-year contract. We recently cancelled our membership after the first year because helio has horrible customer service. Soon after that we began getting calls about owing 400 and some odd dollars for early cancellation. After a million phone calls to and from the company we find out it is because we supposedly agreed to a 2 year contract. However, when I asked for proof of this, they had nothing. Eventually that led me to calling their corporate office, where I left a message and asked to get proof of the phone conversation that we agreed to the 2 year in. Do we have any legal obligation to pay the early term fee if they cannot prove that we ever agreed to 2 years? Especially when they don't even offer a contract in writing, it is all online, which we were never even aware of until this incident. In addition to this, we have never once received a paper bill from helio, our last bill was sent to collection a month after it was due because we were not aware we owed money for any additional charges. If anyone has any further knowledge of these issues, or legal action that can be taken, any advice would be greatly appreciated.