Grand Canyon University / financial aide

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I was awarded financial aide that should have covered my costs of both summer session classes as well as my final class in Sept. 2009. I was sent my financial aide refund as always once my account was supposedly paid in full, then sent my military scholarship refund. I was then charged for my last class. 1100.00$ in financial aide awarded to me was sent back. My account has been sent to collections and is now soon close to affect my credit. If anyone has any advise as to how to help I would greatly appreciate it.

Crazy in Georgia

Comments

• Bi
      24th of Feb, 2010

Laura:
    Please contact me direct and I will see your situation is addressed promptly. I apologize for any problems you have encountered to date.
    Cordially,
    Bill Jenkins
    Executive Director, Institutional Advancement
    Grand Canyon University
    bjenkins@gcu.edu
    602.315.5566

• Tl
      9th of Jun, 2010

I am very disappointed with Grand Canyon University's financial aide system. I started a new quarter on April 29, 2010 and I have not received my refund from my financial aid yet. I have had this problem once before but, they lost my refund last quarter and blamed it on the mail man. It finally dawned on me that my refund was probably never mailed. However, this quarter I've been calling every week and my financial aid counselor is never available and when I do get someone on the line I get the run around and no one will give me a straight answer. I thought GCU was a christian school but, I see they are not. I feel like they are trying to steal from their students. This is very unprofessional and I've never attended a school with so many complaints. I wish I would have known this before attending GCU. I just want my refund because I have to pay this money back when I finish school and Grand Canyon could care less. I also called the FASA office about my situation last quarter and they stated it was nothing they could do. We need some justice done because GCU sucks!!!

• Bi
      9th of Jun, 2010

T Lynch:
    Please send me your contact information and I will attempt to get this issue resolved for you today. I apologize for the problems you have encountered.
    Sincerely,
    Bill Jenkins
    Executive Director, Institutional Advancement
    Grand Canyon University
    Phoenix, AZ 85017
    bjenkins@gcu.edu
    602.315.5566

22nd of Jun, 2010

I have had the worst time with GCU's financial aid department. As a military member, I am irrate. GCU's financial aid department doesnt care about students, only money. My class started on April 29, 2010 and I still have not received my refund. Everytime, I speak to my military financial rep. (kyle) I get the run-around. He will tell me one thing and make empty promises. Then when the deadline has passed, I can call in and speak to another financial counselor, who knows nothing of my case and will tell me a complete different story. My money finally came in on June 7th. I was told they only had up to 14 days by federal law to hold my money, which would give them until June 21st to mail it out. Guess what? It still didnt get mailed out and its June 22 after the so called federal deadline. Therefore, I called in and spoke to another rep. Guess what she did? She blamed it on the accounting department. She apparantly told me that they havent completly completed my account. Are you kidding me? Its been 2+weeks since they got their money, but I still dont have mine. I dont know where to turn, because no one seems to care about students at GCU only funds. This has got to be the worst experience ever. They keep passing the buck from one department to the next and now I am being told it can take up to one more week for the accounting department to correct my account. How pathetic is this department. NO ONE CARES AND NO ONE WILL HELP YOU OUT! THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT GETTING THEIR MONEY! whats funny is that its not their money, its mine and I dont even get to have it, GCU controls when I can get it. Please dont go to an online school, because they can give a D**n about you, especially if you are from another state, because they know you arent about to drive there to confront them. They control everything you do and even your money. I have even had problems academically, not from grades, but because they changed the curriculum and I have to take 39 hrs for a 36 hr. degree. Thats right, I lose GCU wins! Apparantly, when they changed, I took classes that are required for the degree anymore, but I had to take them under the old curriculum guide. So its not just financial there, its the whole school. Please stay away from this school. Go to a real school, somewhere, who really gives a D**N about their students. I dont expect anything to come of this post but at least it may keep some other student from making the poor choice I did!

22nd of Jun, 2010

I will say my comments are true about GCU, however, Mr. Jenkins, does generally care and does attempt to help everyone out in every issue. Sometimes it takes that one person to make a wrong a right! Mr. Jenkins, seems to be that man!

23rd of Jun, 2010

Mr. Jenkins and Carrie have resolved my issue. My problem with GCU was true, however, it is now taken care of. I would recommend someone to go to this school. I was very frustrated with my problem and wanted resolution and they took care of the issue. GCU is like other schools, they have some problems and have some people who dont care and some that do. Its just finding that one person who cares and wants to help out. I am glad that Mr. Jenkins does respond and does help with resolving issues at GCU. Overall, I will say that I have had a good time in the classes and have learned alot. The only problem I had with the classes is the changing of the curriculum guide, but that effected thousands, not just me, so that is a global problem and not individual. Thank you again Mr. Jenkins and Carrie.

• Go
      5th of Aug, 2011

Dealing with the people at GCU is like dealing with a bunch of idiots. They are unable to be professional because they are not properly trained. This school should not broadcast that they are a Christian school because a bunch of devils run the joint. If you are having a financial aid problem, contact the Omsbudman Office on FAFSA Website.

• Ep
      19th of Sep, 2011

I HAVE HAD THE WORST FINANCIAL AID LUCK WITH GCU. EVERY SEMESTER I AM AWARDED MONEY AND THEN HAVE TO PAY IT BACK. NO ONE EVER GIVES ME CORRECT INFORMATION. I PAY THIS SCHOOL WAY TOO MUCH MONEY TO HAVE TO KEEP GOING THROUGH THE SAME DRAMA. LAURA LYNCH HAS HELPED ME OUT, BUT MY END RESULT KEEPS BEING GIVING THE SCHOOL BACK MONEY. IW ILL NOT SUGGEST THIS SCHOOLL TO ANYONE. ALL I EVER GET IS "I APOLOGIZE FOR YOU GETTING THE WRONG INFORMATION". THE APOLOGIES HAVE RAN OUT FOR ME. GCU NEEDS TO TAKE THE FALL FOR ALL OF THE WRONG INFORMATION I KEEP GETTING. I CAN HAVE A CLEAN ACCOUNT ONE DAY AND THE NEXT DAY IT SAYS I OWE OVER $2000.00. THIS KEEPS HAPPENING AND I REALLY WANT GCU TO FIX IT.

3rd of Nov, 2011

I am too disappointed with Grand Canyon University finacial aid as well as the instructors. You would think that if you are reaching out to your instructor they would contact you. I have been reaching out for my instructor to contact me and you would think for 1800 dollars they would. The finacial aid department feel as if they can work on there on time with your money. When you call them to ask about your stipend they have an attitude like it belongs to them. My finacial aid has been delayed being sent to me for a whole month do you think Grand Canyon cares No. They still say it is a process but it wasn't a process when you collected your money. I will not be attending the next school year with them and I will not refer no one to their school.