Global Wedding & Events Co. / Beware, this company is a Brides nightmare!

1 Canada Review updated:

This company seems to be the perfect one stop shop for everything you need to make that special day truly memorable. Unfortunately, it will prove to be memorable for all the WRONG reasons. Mr Carl Manning and his staff (Filomena etc..) are extremely unprofessional and completely disorganized. Each meeting proved to be pointless, appointments are consistently broken and the claim to be affordable in comparison proves to be a total lie. While Carl seems charming, disagree with anything he has to say and watch his time bomb hit self destruct. It is 10 days before our wedding and NOTHING has been done. We have not seen sample centre pieces or bouquets, wedding decor or anything. The price keeps changing, even though the contract states something different. Being such an important day, and the flowers are so integral, we decided that seeing as nothing has been done to date, it was time to make alternative plans. Filomena wanted to change the cost of our centrepeices and our beautiful Hydrangas to CARNATIONS?!?! When we obviously would not agree she claimed that she would not lose her shirt over our business and encouraged us to cancel our flowers... which is exactly what we did. No calls were returned for over a week (keep in mind this is within a 3 week window of our wedding) and all the excuses were exhausted. We needed to cancel, confirm our other arrangements, but now Carl says we wont get our deposit back? Is he serious? It was them that encouraged us to cancel the flowers only weeks before the wedding. They probably assumed that we wouldn't be able to make alternative arrangements this quickly, and that we would just pay the additional costs and settle for the ugly flowers. BEWARE, this company is a Brides nightmare. Carl decided to return our call (inappropriately) at 9 PM only to yell at the soon to be bride, putting her in tears, and still not offering any solutions. This is one headache that everyone should avoid. I would never refer them to anyone.

More Global Wedding & Events Co. Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ke
      1st of Oct, 2008

Tried to charge my sister (the bride) $1500 for a dress they said was the new 2009 collection, I later found it online for $600 from the fall 2005 collection. This place is dishonest and should be avoided at all costs. You can also look at this article http://www.canada.com/globaltv/ontario/features/consumer_sos/story.html?id=72b0aa02-83f2-4638-b626-3b8792d5b2b8

• Le
      1st of Oct, 2008

I can't believe it! I'm not alone! I'm going through the same problem. We didn't get to see anything. The limo was old and had no A/C. Had I know this I would have cancelled everything. They cancelled on our appointents 4 times, with no sympathy. He actually sent us threatning letter stating he will sue us. Because of all the heartache we went through we held back some of the payment. I was actually trying to be smart. I hope he throws out the idea of suing us because he won't win. He made my wedding a nightmare!

• Me
      6th of Oct, 2008

I really have no idea why Brides still go with this company, the signs are all there, STAY AWAY. There used to be 25 complaints on here about them. They do rip you off and the word around Kitchener is the cops are after him. Why can't Brides STAY AWAY

• Ri
      7th of Oct, 2008

I had a bad experience with this company in January '08 where we lost our $1, 000. They were pretty Incompetent. We chose to forgo the $1, 000 rather than take the chance of using these people as a supplier for the wedding. There were many complaints on this board about them (I guess they were erased???). Quite a few people were extremely upset and wanted to pursue legal action.

• Me
      7th of Oct, 2008

I went into this company awhile back and they were arguing with another bride, i got out of there pretty fast, then i was approached by one of the ladies who was complaining on Global and she told me to stay away from this company. Apparently there is a big write up now on WeddingBells about them. They actually were in Kitchener under Canadian Bridal and then went to Mississauga under National Bridal and now Global Weddings..how many more namesl do they have, when a company can't even stick with one name you know there is something totally wrong. I found out from another site that they live on 475 Activa Ave in Kitchener, maybe people should start sending their legal papers there.

• De
      17th of Oct, 2008

I had the unfortunate incident of dealing with this company as well recently. They cancelled meetings with us so many times and have asked us to pay for the full amount of our wedding decorations a month before my actual wedding. I will call and even pass by the place to follow up and ensure that all the decor and items are ready. They decide to call me the day before to say they do not have my special embroidered table cloths. After arguing with them and wasting the whole day prior to my wedding day being stressed, they confirmed that they will have it after all. As to much surprise not only did they not have the table cloths, they also did not decorate my church, came in short with chair covers and did not have the large collanade bay we had paid for. This company is an absolute nightmare to deal with as the owner Karl & Filomena are blatant liars and respect nobody. We have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau where they are notorious to not resolve any complaints (See links below)

We have also started a file with the Consumer Protection Branch but they take longer to resolve. They apparently have been sued numerous times before but dont end up paying so taking them to court is pretty wasteful of your own money. There was over 30 other complaints about this company on this site before but it appears to have been removed. I have tried contacting Global Tv to do a follow up story in regards to this company but have not heard back. I think all of us that were victimized by Global Wedding, should file a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT as that is the only way we can make an impact and ensure that this business is completely out business and not out there to ruin people's wedding that they have planned for all their lives. It is nice to see that a lot more brides are speaking out but honestly but sad at to see the number of people this company have hurt. Unfortunately most brides get too caught up in the moment to be doing their research about the company and that is how they end up booking with Global Wedding aka Canadian Bridal .. I think its the last thing in your mind to actually doubt the vendor you are dealing with as you have so many other things you have to take care of. I really think that they should be reprimanded for all their issues.

29th of Oct, 2008

Hey Bailey,

Its funny that you are the only one person that has ever had a good review about this company. I feel sorry for your friends to have a friend like you who would recommend them to these people. You might as well have told your friends to go to Hell!!! You are quite funny. On the grander scale of things your little positive comment scales to nothing compared to all the confirmed issues that a whole bunch of other brides/couples have experienced for their wedding day.

• Le
      3rd of Nov, 2008

They have been nothing but a nightmare for us also!! They gave us nothing that we actually ordered. They are way too over-priced. BRIDES BEWARE OF THIS HORRIBLE PLACE. They have ripped us off for EVERYTHING ... and worst of all ... when we took back the mirrors for our centrepieces because they were the complete wrong thing AND THEY GAVE US THE DISPLAY, they refused to refund us our money for the one mirror or exchange it for the correct one. We had ordered and paid for 25 mirrors, they gave us 24 correct ones and then wanted us to buy the box of 6, when we refused to buy all 6 and demanded we get just the one, they gave us the store sample, which was the wrong style of mirror anyway!! It's been a nightmare ... As I was arguing with Carl (the owner) to exchange the mirror or give us our money back, he told me he didn't give a [censored] and that he was going to call the police to have my ### thrown out of his store. Those words exactly. His other employees also made my mom count out the crystals for the centrepieces. WHO DOES THAT!! Then, they only gave us enough crystals to fill 6 centrepieces, we had paid for enough to fill 25 vases.

Brides and Grooms, if you want your day to be any bit lovely, DO NOT book and purchase ANYTHING. NOT ONE THING, from this hell hole!!! I was fortunate enough to only have purchased the beads, mirrors and lights for the centrepieces. But I have heard other stories that are much worse!!! This company needs to be shut down, and after the way Carl spoke to me, I will make it my mission to have the place closed down!!! The couples are under enough stress planning the wedding, they do not need this company to ruin they're special day!!!

There is a place around the corner, and it's their wholesaler that Global is purchasing their product from. They are marking everything up MORE THAN 100% ... It's one thing to make a profit, It's another thing to ROB and RIP people off.

All I can say is save yourselves the nightmare. Though it was just a few items, My family and I regret ever stepping foot into that store. I will be back there to get the correct mirror. But I have been doing a lot of research on the nightmares this company has caused, and plan on going to City TV regarding this company. Brides, this is your's and your groom's day, and these people DO NOT CARE ABOUT THAT, they care about your money. They do not care whether their customer service and the products are reliable.

• Lo
      3rd of Nov, 2008

I can't believe I'm reading this now. How I wish I had come across these posts two years ago when my fiance and I went there and left a $1000 deposit. Carl was in such a rush for me to sign a contract and once I did he couldn't have gotten me out of there any quicker. Within half an hour of leaving a deposit I returned to get my deposit back only to have him yell and swear at me. I can't believer how rude, disrespectful, dishonest and completely unprofessional these people are. Dealing with Carl and Filomena has been the most absolute nightmare. They ended up taking our $1000 deposit and doing absoulutely NOTHING for our wedding. How are these people still in business?! Something must be done. I want to sue them but after reading the above posts that they've been sued many times and have never paid up, what's the point?

• Ro
      5th of Nov, 2008

I got three words.. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!! If there is any lawyers or know of good lawyers who can arrange this all us VICTIMS SHOULD STICK TOGETHER and get what we deserve as we can never get back what they stole from us on our special day which is PEACE OF MIND and NO STRESS!!!

• Fr
      10th of Nov, 2008

Hey guys, WOW i cant believe they have sooo many BAD reviews. i WISh i seen this earlier. My wedding is next year and i'm already in $2500.00 what should i do??? i dont wanna lose the money, but i dont want a NIGHTMARE wedding. does anyone have pictures of the decorations that could send to me???? the only things i booked with him is decor, backdrop, cake table, sashes for chairs, tent, chairs, ceiling swags, mandap, bridal bouquet. thats about it. i am not booking photo/video/limo/center pieces/boutineres. but again if someone could send me some pics of there work would really be helpful. Thanks my email is fareezar@ateamtransport.com

• Ne
      14th of Nov, 2008

If someone wants an extremely stressful wedding then they should consider Global Wedding. All they can do is not answer calls and leave you till the last minute for everything. The owner doesnt even remeber anything. I dont understand how they are still in business.. They keep adding costs without asking. Please dont ever think about going to them.

• Ro
      14th of Nov, 2008

We used this company for our wedding to decorate the halls. they are very nice to you on your first visit, but after signing the contract and giving your first deposit, the service just deteriorates from there. Karl is unprofessional and have no manners, he plays dumb when you have an issue and is always about the $$$...They make it their mandate to ensure that you do not get what you pay for. We paid over $3500 for our hall decorations only to get a phone call the day before telling us that we are not getting the items which we had paid in full. We had a feeling that it would be a nightmare to deal with them when we had tried to arrange a meeting after paying our initial deposit only to have them cancel and rush us out each time. However we didn't want to lose our deposit so we risked goin with them anyways. This was the biggest mistake we have decided. I spent the day before my wedding crying and stressed out, meanwhile Karl had the audacity to laugh at me and say dont worry its not a big deal I will get you something else. They ended up decorating the hall with different colours than what we had asked for. They also did not decorate the backdrop which made our hall look really shi*ty. We felt so helpless and can do nothing but cry. My husband and I have worked so hard to have our beautiful wedding day only to have these lying criminals ruin it. We will never get this day back again. Suing them or arguing with them is just a waste of time. Karl Usmani is not a sensible man and he can careless about your actual wedding. He is only in it for the money. He is a straight up criminal and he is in the right industry because brides are the easiest to take advantage of because this is the most sensitive time of their lives.

The Better Business Bureau and the Consumer Protection Branch has several files open against them but they are still in business. It makes you wonder how great of a job our government is doing in protecting their consumers. I hope some day they will meet their match...

29th of Nov, 2008

Its unfortunate that we've all experienced this as brides. Its stressful enough planning this huge event in our lives.

Please be advised that I am bringing a law suit against Carl.

His staff was very friendly. Had I dealt with him, I would have never thought twice about purchasing something through him. I made a down payment on my dress. the moment the dress came into his shop my mother in law received threatening phone calls advising we had x amount of days to pick the dress up and pay in full otherwise, he would not be responsible if the dress were misplaced or damaged !

PAYMENT PLANS ARE NOT AN OPTION. Its a false advertisement.

I took me 6-7 weeks to find time to get into his shop and pick up the dress. When i tried it on... the dress had loose beads (which he said was the style) it had loose thread all over ( which he said I should have known about before selecting that dress) and the lace was not cut properly around the beading (which he says thats the norm). I understand that this may have been a manufacturer's defect, and he told me to call the manufacturer if i had a problem- but that it was not his problem and he only cares about being paid.

You can see where the argument begins.

After trying to be civil with him (because he called me at my office) he started to call me names, put me down, and said if I thought I was going to get the dress Im kidding myself. Hed be returning it, with no requests, and would not return my deposit.

Im going there this morning to bark at him and try and get my deposit back. Not because of the dress defects, because I dont want his business anymore, and hes failed to provide his service as promised.

Please email me at anishnabe_ojicree@hotmail.com (SUBJECT LINE: Global Weddings) if you would like to make a "Global" claim against Carl .

I have contacted the BBB of Canada and US. I have logged a complaint with CITY TV and with the designer SOPHIA TOLLI.

Im suing for $5000 in personal damage. You should too. Dont let him get away with it.

Marie Cousins

29th of Nov, 2008

p.s. Im a civil litigation law clerk - I deal directly wiht these kind of claims. The amount I lost ($300) is enough to have me bring him in front of a judge.

• Gr
      14th of Dec, 2008

This company is a bunch of BS!! I went there 2 weeks ago to see if I can get all my ceremony decoration and flower arrangements with them and the guy tried to RIP me off like crazy. He litterally tried to charge me $2 500 for nothing. I really got upset with him because a friend had refered me there and he charged her the same price when she got more things then me. He wwas very dishonest and tried to lie that my my friends bill was more then mines..brides please stay away from this store because it is a scam.
    My friend is not trying to get her deposit back and the guy wont even talk to her. He pretends that he is someone else on the phone..VERYY BAD SERVICE AND A BUNCH OF NASTY SCAMS!!1

25th of Dec, 2008

Hello,

I see I am just another name in the the Global Wedding complaint line.

• Rosita Osmond’s comment (40 days ago) mentioned that the government workers for consumer protection do not seem to be doing their job. I will be filing a complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman http://www.ombudsman.on.ca/, ” The Ombudsman investigates complaints about services provided by the government of Ontario and its organizations.” The more voices the better the impact.
    • Legally, I am looking to see what the best venue is in regards to taking him to court and actually making it worth our time. He’s obviously escaped enough times; I want to ensure that our efforts are not futile any help is appreciated.
    • I have contacted all the brides to date who have posted on this page, eventually I would like to represent the complaints to the courts, the media wedding websites/magazines/newspapers and the ombudsman on behalf of a group of people. Please respond to the emails and I will CC you in when contacting my targets.
    • I have $1500 in Karl and Filamina’s hands and don’t plan on giving them a penny of my money without making them work for it.
    • Please email me at Christy_Luu@hotmail.com to become part of my “Project” Subject Line: Global Wedding Nightmare
    Regards,

Christy Luu
    Christy_Luu@hotmail.com

25th of Dec, 2008

Global Wedding Nightmare References:

Cancelling a Contract

Under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002, you have the right to cancel an agreement and have your money returned to you if:
    • The contract is subject to a cooling off period. You have the *****absolute***** right to cancel (for any reason) within 10 days of receiving a written copy of the agreement.
    • The vendor has made a false, misleading or deceptive representation about the goods or services you agreed to buy or lease.
    • The information about the goods or services, or your rights as a consumer required by the Consumer

Protection Act, 2002, are not provided to you in the agreement.
    Send one of the following three cancellations, or rescission, letters to a business if you have changed your mind about a product or service you have purchased.

Sample of a Cancellation Letter To Be Used Within 10 Days of Entering an Agreement
    Sample of a Cancellation Letter Resulting From Unfair Business Practice(s)
    Sample of a Cancellation Letter Resulting From Non-Disclosure

BRIDES IF YOU HAVE MADE A COMPLAINT TO THE CONSUMER PROTECTION BOARD AND HAVE NOT GOT A SATISFACTORY RESOLUTION CONTACT ONTARIO OMBUDSMAN THEY ARE THE REGULATORS FOR GOVERNMENT SERVICES WICH INCLUDE THE CONSUMER PROTECTION BOARD. http://www.ombudsman.on.ca/en/make-a-complaint.aspx

Your Rights

Here is a list of your basic rights under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002. For more detailed and specific information on any one of them, visit the Information By Category section on the left side of this website.
    You are entitled to a cooling off period.

Let’s say you make a purchase or sign a contract in your home and then change your mind. If the deal is worth more than $50, you have the right to cancel within 10 days. It’s best to cancel by registered mail or fax to get your money back.

Remedies must be timely.
    When you take advantage of your 10-day cooling off period and notify the company (preferably in writing) that you have changed your mind, the company has 15 days to return your money. The business has the right to take back the goods provided under the agreement by either picking them up or paying for the cost of sending them back.
    If you are sent goods you didn’t ask for, you don’t have to accept or pay for them.
    In fact, you may use them or throw them out. You’re not responsible for an unsolicited credit card either – unless you buy something with it.

Pre-paid goods or services over $50 must have a written contract.
    When some part of the contract occurs in the future (e.g. a gym membership), written contracts are required for goods or services worth more than $50. The contract must contain complete details of the transaction and full disclosure of any credit terms. :0)

Contracts must be clear and comprehensible.
    Vague language is discouraged in contracts. All required information must be clear, prominent and easy to understand. If there is a dispute over unclear language, it must be interpreted in favour of the consumer by law. :0)

Credit terms must be fully disclosed.
    Anyone providing goods or services on credit must give the consumer a written statement showing all financing charges and the annual percentage rate of the credit transaction. It must also explain how any extra charges would be calculated if you failed to make the payments.

Misrepresentation is illegal.
    All charges in a contract must be what they say they are. For example, a business may not add a $20 surcharge for a “tax” that is not really for tax. Make sure you understand what each charge is for and that it’s valid. A VENDOR CANNOT CHARGE YOU GST WITHOUT LISTING THIER GST NUMBER ON THE INVOICE, BRIDES CHECK YOUR INVOICES!!! IT WAS MISSING ON MINE!!!

Sales incentives may not be false, misleading or deceptive.
    A salesperson can offer you an incentive to help find other buyers, but the description of the incentive cannot be false, misleading or deceptive.

Consumer agreements must disclose all details.
    If a company isn’t delivering on its contract with you, or if you encounter an aspect of the deal the company was required to disclose by law but didn’t, you have the right to cancel within one year. ******* :O)

Your goods cannot be repossessed if you have paid 2/3 or more.
    A seller can’t take back goods you’ve bought but not paid for fully, as long as you have paid two-thirds or more of the cost, except by court order. But remember, if you miss a payment, the seller can take you to court to get full payment, which could hurt your credit rating.

Deliveries must be made on time.
    If a delivery doesn’t arrive within 30 days of the promised date, you can cancel the contract by sending a cancellation letter. But you lose the right to cancel the agreement if you accept delivery after the 30 days.
    Anyone who violates the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 will have to pay.
    Individuals violating certain sections of the act are liable to a fine of up to $50, 000 or imprisonment of up to two years less one day. A corporation can be fined up to $250, 000.

PART IV
    SPECIFIC CONSUMER AGREEMENTS — PART IV OF THE ACT
    HTTP://WWW.E-LAWS.GOV.ON.CA/HTML/REGS/ENGLISH/ELAWS_REGS_050017_E.HTM#BK25

FUTURE PERFORMANCE AGREEMENTS
    Definitions
    23. In the Act and this Part,
    “gift card” means a voucher in any form, including an electronic credit or written certificate, that is issued by a supplier under a gift card agreement and that the holder is entitled to apply towards purchasing goods or services covered by the voucher; (“carte cadeau”)

“gift card agreement” means a future performance agreement under which the supplier issues a gift card to the consumer and in respect of which the consumer makes payment in full when entering into the agreement; (“convention de carte cadeau”)

“open loop gift card agreement” means a gift card agreement that entitles the holder of a gift card to apply it towards purchasing goods or services from multiple unaffiliated sellers. (“convention de carte-cadeau universelle”) O. Reg. 187/07, s. 1; O. Reg. 202/08, s. 1.

Prescribed amount

23.1 The prescribed amount for the purpose of subsection 21 (1) of the Act is $50 if the future performance agreement mentioned in that subsection is not a gift card agreement to which sections 25.2 to 25.5 apply. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 1.
    Requirements for future performance agreements

24. For the purpose of section 22 of the Act, a future performance agreement that is not a gift card agreement to which sections 25.2 to 25.5 apply shall set out the following information:
    1. The name of the consumer.
    2. The name of the supplier and, if different, the name under which the supplier carries on business.
    3. The telephone number of the supplier, the address of the premises from which the supplier conducts business, and information respecting other ways, if any, in which the supplier can be contacted by the consumer, such as the fax number and e-mail address of the supplier.
    4. A fair and accurate description of the goods and services to be supplied to the consumer, including the technical requirements, if any, related to the use of the goods or services.
    5. An itemized list of the prices at which the goods and services are to be supplied to the consumer, including taxes and shipping charges.
    6. A description of each additional charge that applies or may apply, such as customs duties or brokerage fees, and the amount of the charge if the supplier can reasonably determine it.
    7. The total amount that the supplier knows is payable by the consumer under the agreement, including amounts that are required to be disclosed under paragraph 6, or, if the goods and services are to be supplied during an indefinite period, the amount and frequency of periodic payments.
    8. The terms and methods of payment.
    9. As applicable, the date or dates on which delivery, commencement of performance, ongoing performance and completion of performance are to occur.
    10. For goods and services that are to be delivered,
    i. the place to which they are to be delivered, and
    ii. if the supplier holds out a specific manner of delivery and will charge the consumer for delivery, the manner in which the goods and services are to be delivered, including the name of the carrier, if any, and including the method of transportation to be used.
    11. For services that are to be performed, the place where they are to be performed, the person for whom they are to be performed, the supplier’s method of performing them and, if the supplier holds out that a specific person other than the supplier will perform any of the services on the supplier’s behalf, the name of that person.
    12. The rights, if any, that the supplier agrees the consumer will have in addition to the rights under the Act and the obligations, if any, by which the supplier agrees to be bound in addition to the obligations under the Act, in relation to cancellations, returns, exchanges and refunds.
    13. If the agreement includes a trade-in arrangement, a description of the trade-in arrangement and the amount of the trade-in allowance.
    14. The currency in which amounts are expressed, if it is not Canadian currency.
    15. Any other restrictions, limitations and conditions that are imposed by the supplier.
    16. The date on which the agreement is entered into. O. Reg. 17/05, s. 24; O. Reg. 187/07, s. 2.
    Express opportunity to accept or decline agreement
    25. In the case of a future performance agreement to which sections 22 to 26 of the Act apply, the supplier shall provide the consumer with an express opportunity to accept or decline the agreement and to correct errors immediately before entering into it. O. Reg. 17/05, s. 25.

GIFT CARD AGREEMENTS
    Application of sections

25.1 Sections 25.2 to 25.5 apply to every gift card agreement entered into on or after the day this section comes into force and to every gift card issued under that agreement, but do not apply to,
    (a) a gift card that a supplier issues for a charitable purpose; or
    (b) a gift card that covers only one specific good or service; or
    (c) the gift card agreement under which a gift card described in clause (a) or (b) is issued. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
    Exemption
    25.2 A gift card agreement is exempt from subsection 21 (1), section 26 and subsection 96 (2) of the Act. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
    No expiry dates
    25.3 (1) No supplier shall enter into a gift card agreement that has an expiry date on the future performance of the agreement. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
    (2) A gift card agreement with an expiry date on its future performance shall be effective as if it had no expiry date if the agreement is otherwise valid. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
    Limit on fees
    25.4 (1) No supplier under a gift card agreement that is not an open loop gift card agreement shall,
    (a) issue a gift card for less than the value of the payment made by the consumer for entering into the agreement or hold out that the supplier can provide such a gift card; or
    (b) charge a fee to the holder of a gift card for anything in relation to the card, other than a fee for replacing a lost or stolen gift card or a fee to customize a gift card. O. Reg. 202/08, s. 2 (2).
    (2) No supplier under an open loop gift card agreement shall,
    (a) issue a gift card for less than the value of the payment made by the consumer for entering into the agreement less $1.50 or hold out that the supplier can provide such a gift card; or
    (b) charge a fee to the holder of a gift card for anything in relation to the card, other than a fee for replacing a lost or stolen gift card, a fee to customize a gift card or a dormancy fee in accordance with subsection (2.1). O. Reg. 202/08, s. 2 (2).
    (2.1) The supplier under an open loop gift card agreement may charge a dormancy fee to the holder of the gift card if,
    (a) the fee is charged no earlier than,
    (i) 15 months after the end of the month that the consumer entered into the agreement, if the holder does not request the supplier for an extension in that 15th month, or
    (ii) 18 months after the end of the month that the consumer entered into the agreement, if the holder requests the supplier for an extension in the 15th month after the end of the month that the consumer entered into the agreement;
    (b) the fee does not exceed $2.50 per month;
    (c) the card has a notice on the front of the card in 10 point font indicating that there is fee information on the back of the card;
    (d) the card has a notice on the back of the card setting out, clearly and prominently, the information mentioned in clauses (a) and (b); and
    (e) the supplier discloses the information mentioned in clauses (a) and (b) to the consumer at the time that the consumer enters into the agreement. O. Reg. 202/08, s. 2 (2).
    (3) If a supplier or a seller has charged a fee or an amount in contravention of subsection (2), the consumer or the holder of a gift card who paid the fee or the amount may demand a refund by giving notice to the supplier in accordance with section 92 of the Act within one year after making the payment. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
    (4) A supplier who receives a notice demanding a refund under subsection (3) shall provide the refund within 15 days of receiving the notice. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.
    Requirements for agreements
    25.5 For the purpose of section 22 of the Act, a future performance agreement that is a gift card agreement shall set out the following information:
    1. The fees that the supplier may charge under clause 25.4 (2) (b).
    2. All restrictions, limitations and conditions that the supplier imposes on the use of the gift card. O. Reg. 187/07, s. 3.

Charges and Convictions

The Consumer Protection Branch investigates unfair business practices and often brings charges against suspect businesses throughout the province.

Click here for more information about the investigation process and unfair business practices prohibited in Ontario.
    Here are some recent noteworthy charges and convictions:

Cambridge International College of Canada Charged
    Cambridge International College of Canada and two directors are charged with allegedly engaging in an unfair practice regarding tuition refuns. More...

Brampton Builder Jailed for Unfair Business Practices
    A Brampton builder will spend 20 days in jail for engaging in unfair business practices under Ontario’s consumer protection laws. More…

Home Renovator Targeting Seniors Charged Under the Consumer Protection Act
    Following an investigation by the province’s Consumer Protection Branch and Ottawa Police, three related home renovation companies have been charged with contract violations and unfair business practices under Ontario’s Consumer Protection Act.
    More...

Vacation Timeshare Operation Charged Under Consumer Protection Act
    A vacation company based in Brampton has been charged with multiple violations of timeshare and unfair business practices agreements under Ontario’s Consumer Protection Act.

Home Renovator Convicted Under Consumer Protection Act
    A home renovator was sentenced recently to 35 days in jail after being convicted on three charges under Ontario’s Consumer Protection Act.
    More…

Unfair Practices and Failure to Deliver in Landscaping Work and Pool Installations
    The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services laid eight charges under the Consumer Protection Act against Domenic Cirillo and Awesome Bloom Landscaping (1614682 Ontario Inc.) as a result of complaints from two consumers in the Thornhill area.

Home Renovator Convicted Under Consumer Protection Act
    The Ministry of Government Services laid three charges under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002, against Jason David Hicks carrying on business in Trenton as Sunrooms Plus.

Note From Bridezilla***

Thats all for now. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help.

Christy_Luu@hotmail.com

• De
      27th of Dec, 2008

I recently signed a contract with Global Wedding. I didn't put such a big deposit but i still would like to get it back. I dealt with Karl and Adrianna. Karl told me if i referred two of my girlfriends, he would give each of us $200 off our package - so i did. He also told us that we would get a free round trip to Mexio - and we will get it 2 weeks after booking (WHICH WE NEVER DID). Anyway, when it was time for my girlfriends to go, he tried to rip them off and he lied to them about everything - Karl also tried to force one of my girlfriends to put a deposit down - they locked the door and didn't let her out. He was really forcing her to put a deposit down.

I have tried calling him a few times and he has not returned my calls or when i called him he pretends that he's not there (when he is CLEARLY the one speaking on the phone - Karl has such a strong accent that everyone can recognize his voice). Karl is such a LIAR AND he is so FULL OF ###!

All brides - BEWARE OF GLOBAL WEDDING & EVENTS. They will take your deposit - you will never hear from them again and you never get the services you are looking for for your wedding!!!

I am with anyone who wants to bring this company down!!!

• Lu
      7th of Jan, 2009

I just got back from global wedding yesterday with my family and since I am writing here it did not go well! When I got home my sister "googled" global Wedding and the responses I saw confirmed how I felt. I would like to thank all of you for posting you have helped me greatly I've already left a deposit but I am going to cancel before I lose anymore money. I was suckered in to sign the contract under the assumption that these were nice honest people. Last Night when I heard another couple arguing I decided to ask Karl to go over my contract, that's when all the lies came out when I asked about past promises he called me and my family leeches and said that we were just trying to suck everything out of hime (even though we were just asking about past promises). We were so hurt by the way he spoke to us. He then had the nerve to ask (vey nicely) for an additional deposit before we left! I do agree that something needs to be done so more people do not fall into this trap.