Gehan Homes / defectively constructed my home

I purchased my Gehan Home in September 2004 and I would like to warn anyone thinking about purchasing a Gehan Home. If you want a quality built home that is also built to code then you better not buy a Gehan Home. My nearly 4 year old home needs 22 piers according to the structural engineer I hired in November 2007. My home has structural failure and the retaining wall behind my home is bowing. Once the retaining wall goes I can only imagine where my bad built house is going to go. My brick arch in the front of my home has separated and the bricks are barely holding on. I have cracks in the ceiling, the walls are separating, the vinyl tile on my floor has separated, most of the doors have sloped, the brick steps leading into the back door has separated and are tilting, the ridge beam and roof joists in the attic are separating, and the list goes on and on. Do you still want to buy a Gehan Home? You better think again. How about I found out that the soils report used to design my foundation wasn't site specific. Think about my home foundation wasn't designed for the soil that it actually sits on. You still want to buy a Gehan Home? You better think again. How about the fact that my home has dropped tremendously in value not just because of the economy but because of the condition it's in. When I notified Gehan Homes of the foundation problems, I was told there were none. Do you still want to buy a Gehan Home? You better think again. I was told by the warranty department the resolution to my home problems were unrealistic. I was told by the warranty department that they welcome the TRCC process. You know why? The TRCC cannot make a builder do s**t. There's nothing to stop a builder from building you a defective home and after you buy that defective home there's no laws to make the builder repair your defective home. Do you still want to buy a Gehan Home???? You better think again, and again, and read this again and then decide if you want to spend a $100k or more on a home that you can't stand to be in or sale. My next home will not be a Gehan Home. If you do, I tried to warn you! Beware!

Va

Comments

• Sh
      18th of Oct, 2009

Seems to be a lot of issues with Gehan homes...I agree. I purchased my house in 2005 and am also seeing cracks in the ceilings and cracks in the outside mortar. Gehan also repeated the same floor plan and house elevation as mine all up and down the street. I look across the street and see my house I was told this wouldn't happen. Very concerned

• Sh
      16th of Oct, 2018

@Shiann I will be contacting the head office

24th of Nov, 2014

Wish we would have read your review before purchasing a Gehan home in San Antonio. Our foundation situation is very similar to yours and Gehan gave us the run around until we hired an attorney. Even then, the language in the Gehan contract is so much in their favor that we'll be lucky to get our foundation fixed in our 2 yr old house. We would caution anyone buying any home, especially a Gehan home, to read the contract (yes, all 100 pages) or have an attorney review it before signing. Pay close attention to the arbitration section of the contract. It's definitely worth the $300 to pay an attorney upfront than to pay them several thousands of dollars after getting into a binding agreement.

• To
      28th of Aug, 2018
    Gehan Homes - My complaint has been resolved
    New Braunfels
    Texas

The complaint made by me regarding Gehan Homes at the Settlement at Gruene has been resolved to my satisfaction. Thanks