Gate.com / Website is very hard to navigate and they steal people's money!

I had set up a website through www.gate.com, a web hosting business. The website worked ok at first. For the last 8 months my website has not worked and I contacted gate.com several times to resolve the issue. Each time, they told me that they were forwarding my request to their technical support department. After about 2 months of the website working, I asked them to cancel my account. I was being charged monthly and I told them that I was no longer interested in using them as a hosting company. I explained why and they said they would cancel my account. 2 months later I noticed that I had 2 charges from them, one for each month. I asked them to cancel my account again, and told them that they should have cancelled it 2 months ago. They continued charging my card. Finally, a few weeks ago I emailed them again, and I received a confirmation email saying that my account was cancelled on the 12th of March. On the 21st of March, a charge from gate.com came through on my bank account again. I finally gave up and went into my bank and had to place a stop payment on all transactions from this company and I had to get a new Visa Debit card with a different number. A couple hours after I got my new card, gate.com emailed me and apologized and said that my account was cancelled (AGAIN) and said they would refund the last charge to my card on file. I won't ever see that money because I changed my card number and I will not give them the information for my new credit card. This is a terrible business that is not organized and has no idea what is going on. There must be a lack of communication. Their website is actually very hard to navigate and they steal people's money. If they wanted to make amends, they would need to refund my money for the last 8 months of service, since my website didn't work at all during that time.

Comments

• Tj
      8th of May, 2007

I've had the same experience with gate.com aka Affinity Internet. Despite cancelling the account twice they've taken 2 more quarters payments on my card.

I've reported them to the Better Business Bureau in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Their entry is:

and the complaints form is at:

• Mo
      4th of Dec, 2007

We also got registered a domain with them for 2 years, There was no account information till 15 days inspite of reminding them 3 times, even though they made the transactions twice the amount suppose to be charged.

After the second reminder (after one week) they just admit that you made one transaction with us, There was no indication of account information yet, After another reminder they send the account information with no necessary details, Having only User name and password we hardly find the so called "control panel" which has no CONTROL AT ALL, You can only change personal information. I would say gate.com is pathetic.

• Ph
      8th of Apr, 2009

My business internet host Winsave were bought out by gate.com; my site was transferred to their server and I've found them to be completely incompetent... the service has gone down the drain.

Not only has my site actually disappeared for days at a time, it has been much slower than anything else on the web, and the technical suppor team deny any issue and try to flog me an overpriced 'business' service to make it work!
    The site should work anyway! This is a con. My site is a simple one, but I believe that they have deliberately rigged it to flog their premium rate service.

Several days ago their server was hacked and my site was taken offline by the hacker. Despite desperately trying to contact Gate.com, they refuse to respond or even deal with the problem. I haven't heard from their support for days despite trying them daily, meanwhile I'm in danger of losing a lot of important business.

Don't use gate.com, I can't emphasise this enough, they are absolutely dreadful.

• Ih
      21st of Oct, 2009

I just got off the phone with them after the same problem. The billing supervisor called me a liar and told me that I had not canceled my account through their system - claiming that their system doesn't allow cancellation requests. She was demeaning and rude and they charged me for 3 months of post service charges because they have ineffective cancellation communication.

Gate.com has automated billing services that do not synch with their cancellation requests and if you use their service you WILL be screwed.

WORST HOSTING EXPERIENCE EVER!!!

Gate.com sucks! Gate.com is terrible, Gate.com is a ripoff, Gate.com will steal your money, call you a liar, and treat you like a 2 year old.

10/2009 - Gate.com still sucks - don't use their service.

• Sy
      8th of Jan, 2010

they are stupid people and i wonder how are they surviving

Sooner or later they will be out of business due to their evasive attitude towards solving clients problems

They simply get you waiting and then close your ticket silently

• Th
      13th of Feb, 2010

I am afraid I have a subscription with them for another year that is already paid; however, I am been charged for registering the domain again which in previous years was included in the package I bought, but based on their words they said it was not included ??? and that it is in the new package they are including it but not in the package I was subscribed.

Its the same package!

I do not understand this as it was included in previous years! I am waiting for next week to get the statements from my bank and submit the complaint to BBB. I already registered with other hosting company a different domain and definitely will not make more businesses with gate.com again.

• Im
      9th of Jul, 2015

Paid annually by the company's former owner, we transferred everything from Gate.com as soon as we took over and told them to close the account. I don't even recall how or why we gave them our card number, probably as part of the transfer process. Well, 2 years later we are billed for another set of hosting without warning. We noticed it and contacted them within 2 days (would have been 1 but they keep strict office hours for their billing) and the best they offered was a "pro-rated" (ie -$10 for 2 days of a service we'd never used) refund. Reported the fraud to the bank instead.