Gary Buckmaster / POOR CARE OVER PRICED

1 444 redwood hwyGrants Pass, OR, United States Review updated:
Phone: 541-660-0001

This Vet is doesn't know most of basic medical treatments for horses. He will starve a horse for days with only water for simple colic. Won't even take an xray after a few days to confirm any diagnoses. After your horse has lost so much weight you find another vet who totally disagrees with Dr Buckmaster's diagnoses with have the horse back to health in a mater of 24hrs. Dr Buckmaster says one price for a visit then Bills so much more. He inflates all supply charges since his business is dying off fast, Watch you will be the next victim of his OVER PRICED BAD VET TREATMENT services. MORE HORSES DIE UNDER HIS CARE than any other in the So. Oregon County. BEWARE !!!

Comments

• Ca
      12th of Feb, 2011

Very Poor Care Slow to arrive doesn't follow up on medical treatment at all !!! Leaves you on your own then over charges for poor service...I would not use the Vet Ever Again...

• Ca
      12th of Feb, 2011

Where have you been this is old news sorry you had to go through this. Most horse owners already knew this you must be new.

• Mi
      16th of Feb, 2011

that is sooooo not tru he does not starv the horses the horses cant eat becuase they have colic he wants to make shure nothing happens again my horses have had colic and he too kcare of them and they never were starved and they were still in shape and healthy you guys dont know what ur saying you should ask him why u must not feed them if they have colic before you go and u say stuff he and his wife are great and friendly people they also are very funny too. They know lots of information to they help my lame horse get sound again she used to not beable to walk now she can run for a very long time without stoping i can take her and the racetrack and she will runnnn like no other buckmaster is not a crappy vet he is smart!!! P.S if you care about the prices so much maybe you shouldent have horses if money is more important to you than your horses eny other vet would charge the same just be thankfull garry comes out to your houses on very short notice!!!

• Di
      7th of Apr, 2012

We have 4 mini-donkeys among other animals. My vet was not available when I needed him for a hoof absess in the youngest mini. I called Dr. Buckmaster, and even though they had a long day, they came that afternoon. They told me they would be here after 1PM. At 2PM, I received a call stating they would be there about 3:30 as they were attending a mare that was in serious trouble. That is not uncommon in the field of veterinary medicine. You never know until you examine an animal how long you will be in attendance.

They showed up about 4PM, worked on the little guy for almost an hour, gave him two injections, provided me with the iodine we can't buy any more, gave me surgical cotton because all I had were plain cotton balls, looked at all our minerals, examined our other donkeys, gave me some good advice and the charge was MINIMAL compared to other vets in the area. The following day, we received a follow up call to make sure our little one was doing OK and that we weren't having problems administering aid to him.

After the fact, I spoke with approximately 6 other people who also utilized Dr Buckmaster and they spoke VERY highly about him at two of the feed stores. We have heard many positive statements over the years and that's why I called him in this emergency. We have made the decision he will be our large animal vet from now on. We like our other vet, who is very good, but Buckmaster is closer and imparts more knowledge than others.

• Di
      7th of Apr, 2012

This individual's complaint doesn't ring true at all... Dr. Buckmaster has a master's degree in nutrition and is extremely knowledgable regarding all large animals, including camels! Anyone who's had horses for years understands you don't feed a horse with colic.

We have 4 mini-donkeys among other animals. My vet was not available when I needed him for a hoof absess in the youngest mini. I called Dr. Buckmaster, and even though they had a long day, they came that afternoon. They told me they would be here after 1PM. At 2PM, I received a call stating they would be there about 3:30 as they were attending animals whose problems took longer than expected. That is not uncommon in the field of veterinary medicine. You never know until you examine an animal how long you will be in attendance.

They showed up about 4PM, worked on the little guy for almost an hour, gave him two injections, provided me with the iodine we can't buy any more, gave me surgical cotton because all I had were plain cotton balls, looked at all our minerals, examined our other donkeys, gave me some good advice and the charge was minimal compared to other vets in the area. The following day, we received a follow up call to make sure our little one was doing OK and that we weren't having problems administering aid to him.

• De
      14th of Dec, 2015

I am new to the area. My parents use this vet, so I called him as a recommendation from them. The appointment was at noin. At 11:45am they called to announce they would be late but would be her by 1:30pm. They didn't arrive until 3pm by whichtime I had another appointment to be at so I missed the appointment, my mother had to be present. It was a float and sheath clean. They never called me to follow up and never returned my 2 calls wondering about how the appointment went. All I got was a $285 bill and no vet returns. I refuse to use them again.

22nd of Nov, 2017

He showed up 5 hours late to put my suffering horse down - didn't have the meds with him - went home to get his meds and my horse was dead before he returned. And he had the gall to charge me for an emergency farm call!! Useless

• Rj