Fresh Start Opportunities / Fraud

1 93 S. Jackson St. Ste #8135Seattle, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-496-8118

A man came to my door soliciting magazines, and telling me this sob story of how he was trying to better his life by selling magazines so he would stay out of jail and off the streets. So I gave him $50.00 for a 2 year subscription to ALLURE magazine on Jan. 20, 2009. I haven't received my magazine and have tried to call them several times, only to receive a voicemail. Noone has called me back.

Comments

• Mi
      12th of Mar, 2009

I purchased a $40 (plus $10) one year subscription to "O" magazine from a black guy, Jarrod Brehon, going door to door claiming to want to better himself through this organization. That was five months ago and I have not received the magazine nor have I been able to get through on the business phone listed on the receipt ( I have called once a week for 5 weeks at various times of the day). This is an obvious scam and this business needs to be reported to the Better Businss Bureau.

• Br
      13th of Mar, 2009

Unfotunately I was a victim of trying to be helpful. I really don't usually fall for this kind of scam. I usually go through well-known charities. However, I let my guard down just once and got burned. I fell for the con that I had 3 business days to cancel my magazine order (which I did by mail - as required - and by phone and email). Of course there was no live person to answer the phone or any email response. They are a total fraud. I have learned my lesson the hard way, but I will only support the charities I know and am familiar with.

• Pa
      23rd of Mar, 2009

The police in our town are busting the sales reps for outstanding warrants, etc. do not give your information or money to these people.

• Km
      2nd of Apr, 2009

OMG - so you didn't get your money back? I am so mad!! I can't believe these people can do this. I guess I will never get mine back either. I sent the cancellation the following day after the order was placed and can't get anyone on the phone. The website is bogus too - they don't respond. Is there anything that can be done?

• Dn
      5th of May, 2009

They have come to CT and are up to no good here either. They claim to be selling magazines but are doing drugs in the hotel they are staying at and causing nothing but trouble. Send them packing if they get anywhere near your neighborhood. They are hoodlums and are certainly not exhibiting any efforts to better themselves. DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME AND HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

• Bo
      2nd of Jun, 2009

"Fresh Start Opportunities" came by in early 2008 with a hard sell - "You want to get us off the streets, or else..." I declined. A year later, Feb. 2009, they came by again, much softer sell - "I'm trying to work my way through college, " and I bought a couple subscriptions, elevated price but what the heck, it's a good cause. No, just a ripoff. An $80 lesson. It's in the interest of the good guys out there, charities and non-profits, to rid the world of these crooks, because myself, for example, nobody gets a dime anymore.

• Sr
      8th of Jun, 2009

I received the same song and dance. I bought two years of Cooking Light for $50.00. My check cleared the bank on 03/27/09. I have tried to call and always get the same message. No one has called me back. The website says if you don't receive your subscription in 120 days - to mail your receipt back and they will give you your money back. Yeah right. I would then have no proof of purchase. Not that the proof will do any good. Is there anyway to get my money back from these people who play on the goodness of society?

• De
      8th of Jun, 2009

I was dooped too! I did make a copy of my receipt and sent the original as their policy states. I also sent a letter. Nothing, no refund, no mags, and no call. The Attorney General is my next stop.

• As
      11th of Jun, 2009

So I'm in the same boat with you all. But today I recieved this book in the mail that I didn't even order...strange. It came from a clearing house address in Michigan so I looked them up and called. I actually got through and I asked, "Why am I getting this and I hope I'm not being charged for it." The woman told me that it came with the subscription I ordered. I explained that many people are upset and blogging about the company that you're dealing with and she was surprised. She tried looking up my receipt because I sent in my cancelation slip the day after the purchase but she couldn't even find it. She said, "This is really strange because they have you in the system as receiving the subscription soon but I can't find your receipt." I stayed on the line with her for awhile and she seemed like she was really trying to find it. She said she'd call me back today once she's figured some things out. I don't really believe that she will. Has anyone had this experience? Does anything come out of it?

• Di
      30th of Jun, 2009

dooped in the San Francisco Bay Area! ive been out of work for over a year, i trusted a man that gave me a similar story and sold me a subscription to Entrepeneur Magazine. after months of trying to reach them via their website and toll number i find that this company is on the BBB worst rating list! i just left another message expressing my disgust that they could steal my hard earned money like a common thief or mr. madoff! thanks to asheigh & desisay; im taking it to the next level too. i will call the magazine AND the attorney general!

• Zo
      25th of Nov, 2009

Bought subscription to National Geographic magazine this past March 2009--have never received magazine. Found this website when trying to contact customer service for Fresh Start Opportunities about the subscription. I learned an expensive lesson--do not fall for this service or the hardship stories they tell you. Report also to Better Business Bureaus in your area or police dept if they come to your home.

• Ha
      27th of Nov, 2009
    Fresh Start Opportunities - Magazines Never Received
    Texas

The young man that came to the door talked my husband into (4) 2 year magazine subscriptions, that was back in March. He put the receipt away and we forgot all about it until I recently came across the receipt. I tried to call the number on the receipt which is the same one on their website but it is a fake number. I sent them an email but I refuse to send them the original receipt to the address listed. I guess this is just another expensive lesson in life.