Extreme Fitness / Trainers and membership fees are terrible

1 319 Yonge StToronto, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-720-0936

The personal trainers at Extreme Fitness at Yonge and Dundas are immature and ruthless.
I saw them in the act of vandalizing a goodlife ballot box, more than once. There were drawings of penis' and comments about how extreme fitness "rocks" all over the box. How old are they? They're being paid well, (20$+/hr per training session) and charging clients more than double. I don't even know how management hires these ###s.

A friend of mine got called up by extreme fitness telling her that she won 2nd prize in the Extreme Fitness ballot @ Yonge and Dundas. 2nd Prize consisted of a 1 year free membership. As excited as she was, she went downtown for her appointment with the trainer. It was not a free one year membership. They definitely terrible people to deal with. They asked for her credit card and bank card and photocopied all of that stuff and then started talking about how it was NOT FREE. It was 80$/month with 2 "free" months. Jesus thats even worse than Goodlife Fitness (50$/month) which I have also having a loathing for. Next day my friend told them she wanted to cancel the contract with Extreme Fitness, the trainer asked "How much are you paying at Goodlife?". How is that any of their business???? They even said they would lower the contract to the same amount Goodlife was asking for. This sort of tactic pisses me off to no end. If they really cared to give my friend a cheaper contract they would give her the free 1 year membership that she was told she'd won to begin with.

These gym centres are no longer about the clients/customers. Is all about them making money and making more of it. It sickens me to death.

Comments

19th of Feb, 2009

Extreme Fitness is shady indeed. The sales rep at the Yonge/Dundas location for Extreme was a liar (Brent). I went in as a 'guest' and my wife immediately set the tone by saying, spare him the sales pitch, he just wants to work out and check it out.

The guy followed me into the change room after my wife left, told me that I needed a credit card and drivers license for 'insurance' purposes.

I said 'no' of course and he kept at me. Eventually I wanted him out of my hair and just said okay thinking that he would do nothing with it.

I finish my workout, go ask for my credit card and driver's license back and he says, 'sign here!!'. I looked over this paper and it was a contract. I repeatedly said I didn't want to sign a contract, he insisted it wasn't a contract and kept pushing and pushing.

In the end, I didn't sign and he was upset. He even said, "I went through all this work of inputting you into the system, the least you could do is sign for now...".

This is an absolutely true story.

About 10 years ago I worked at CIBC VISA as a call rep. Extreme Fitness was one of the biggest violators of cardholder misuse (based on the number of complaints I got, DAILY!!!). I mean, it wasn't even close. At least 2 out of my daily incoming calls were from agitated Extreme members. I didn't sign with them because of this when I started (as a VISA rep I heard all the complaints) and listened to myself.

Bottom line: Extreme Fitness is a suspect company. Unlike Goodlife, they are owned by a NY investment firm. So try complaining! Goodlife is Canadian owned, London based by a 'person', so someone ultimately takes accountability. Just my two cents.