E*TRADE / Formerly satisfied customer
Until recently, I've been a satisfied Etrade customer. Two months ago, I moved to California and changed my address online on Etrade. Three weeks ago I lost my ATM check card in an ATM machine and asked Etrade customer service to send me a new card. While waiting for my new card, I discovered that I had a typo in the address I had entered. I called customer service and was told to fax in a signed letter with my new address. I did as asked and my new ATM debit card arrived before my 1.5
week business trip to Europe. Before leaving for Europe, I activated my card and changed my PIN number.
When I arrived in Warsaw Poland, my bags were lost and I had to go shopping in order to have clothes to wear for my business trip. I was actually able to purchase clothes with my Etrade Visa Check card. It was not until I arrived in Prague two days later that I discovered I had an issue when I tried withdrawing funds from an ATM machine. Assuming that
fraud prevention had locked down my card, I called Etrade to let them know that all transactions were appropriate. Etrade customer support assured
me that the card was unlocked.
Later that evening I tried using my Visa check card again, with no luck. I assumed at that time that Etrade needed 24 hours to fix the issue. The
next day, I flew to New York and discovered that my Visa check card was not working and that the direct deposit of my paycheck had been rejected.
I called Etrade customer support and asked them what was going on and they told me that my account had been locked and that I needed to send them proof of my new address. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was disconnected on two occasions with no return call.
I can understand the need for security, but can someone explain the following to me?
1. If my address information was an issue, why did Etrade send me a new Visa check card to my new address?
2. Why did ETrade not ask for the needed information the first time I called?
3. Why did Etrade allow me to use my Visa check card in Poland?
4. Why would Etrade lock my account without an email, telephone or alert notification?
5. It appears that Etrade will still allow me to transfer all of my funds to an outside account. Why can I transfer funds online but can't resolve my home address online?
6. What is Etrade's issue with customer service not returning calls when a disconnect occurs?
7. Why did Etrade block my direct deposit of my paycheck?