eMachines / Bad service

Biggest piece of crap Ive ever used...Ive had mine a week and the onboard ethernet connection has failed...as Im running an alternative OS (Dual boot Ubuntu Linux and Vista Beta 2) and joined with the fact that ive broken the seal and opened the case...(to add a WORKING ethernet card) Im sure that the company will weasel their way out of honoring their 1 yr warranty, as their warranty explicitly states that you may only use software officaly approved for use with emachines. After reading the rest of these posts, I can see It would be a waste of my time to even try. I wish I would have looked up some customer reviews before it was too late...TOTAL CRAP!!

Tr

Comments

Va
  27th of Aug, 2008

I bought this August 3, 2007. Then in December is when my trouble started. It just would not load, so I called tech line. I tried everything, still would not work. He said he was sending a box to send it in for repair. Got it back and hooked it up and turned on. Some kind of message came up and I did not want to press the wrong button (I am not real smart with computers) so I called the tech to find out which one to press. In otherwords, it STILL was not fixed. They sent another box. I sent it back. Next time, the quality control guy left his CD in the computer. Would not load again. I have shortened this down from all the cell phone calls (using minutes because they say try this or that, now restart the computer. This could go on for 50 or 60 minutes. I kept asking for another computer or refund. One tech told me only after 3 times repairing do they give a new one. Well, it did it again (3rd time). I finally talked to a corporate tech and he was requesting that I get another computer. He said it would be equivalent or better to mine. Had to send mine in again before I could receive my "new" computer. I did not get a "new" computer but a refurbished one (at least so far it is working), with new keyboard, mouse, speakers all cheaper than my original ones, which thankfully I still had and just used them. Altogether, my computer was out 5 months!! I asked if I would be getting a year's warranty and was told no, only 90 days!! In all, I spoke with 16 different people over this time. No more with Gateway or Emachines. Also, I will not buy at Wal-Mart's again. I will buy from a store that works on the computer (if I can find one like that).

Gi
  12th of Jan, 2009

Cj
  16th of Feb, 2011

Civil Justice Initiative is researching a class action suit against eMachines, a Gateway Inc. product. In the circumstance at issue a consumer purchased an eMachine EL1352G-01w for $298 which crashed in just 17 days. Acer support (included with the warranty) repeatedly lied to and deceived the purchaser as well as failed to live up to their 7 day return policy when the product had to be sent in to their repair center in Texas. This is alleged to be in violation of their warranty and service agreement. Civil Justice Initiative is seeking statements from individuals with similar experiences to help establish the fact that these "cheaper" model computers are composed of substandard components and designed to break down. These substandard products are generally sold to the lower income class who is less likely to be able to pursue legal action so we'd like to do something about that. If you've had a similar experience with an eMachine, Acer, or Gateway PC please visit our site at www.civiljusticeinitiative.org for more information or to provide a statement. The article on this matter is to the immediate right at our Home Page. -Thank You