E trade / sold my stocks w/o permission

In February 2009, E Trade sold all of my stocks, at a loss of $9, 862.00, to satisfy $240.00 in “Maintenance fees”, without my permission or giving me any prior notice. I'm so mad I created a web site at http://www.etradesoldmystocksandkeptthemoney.com to help spread the word about it. I even provided screen captures of my account and the emails I got as evidence of their corrupt policy. I urge everyone taken by these guys to file an SEC complaint!

The picture included is the first email I got. E Trade began selling my stocks 24 minutes later!

E trade

Ro

Comments

28th of Oct, 2008
    E trade - Fraud
    E trade
    California

I opened an E trade brokerage account a few years ago. I bought some stocks and just let them sit. I put in over $1300. I just recently learned that they have been deducting a $40 "account service fee" . The account is now worth $122.
    I would never trust these guys with money.

• Cs
      2nd of Feb, 2010

I'm in, where do I sign? They sold ALL of my shares!

29th of Dec, 2010
    E trade - Lousy customer service
    E Trade

I had $1424.23 in my E Trade Bank checking account on December 23rd. No checks or other debits have come in since then. On December 24th, they received a deposit in the amount of $6, 000 which I had mailed to them. They made a mistake in their bookkeeping, and I ended up with a negative balance of over $4, 000! They admit that they made a mistake, but still have not corrected it. Their proposed solution? That I call people I have written checks to and ask them to hold them.

• Do
      19th of Oct, 2011
    E trade - Fraud
    E TRADE
    United Kingdom

E*TRADE has been running a special promotion whereby they offer to refund your commission on your first 100 trades when you setup a new brokerage account. So I set up a new account and made about 40 trades which gave them about $500 in commissions. Now they are not honoring the promotion. Here is the amazing trail of communications with their so-called customer service:

First they told me that I had not clicked on the right hyperlink when I setup my account so I did not qualify for the promotion. Next I pointed out to them that this requirement was not stated anywhere in their offer.

So next they told me that I had funded the account with a transfer from my E*TRADE savings account, and that is why I did not qualify. Again I pointed out to them that this is not stated in their offer.

I certainly expect better from a well established and respected company such as E*TRADE. I am very disappointed that they seem to be working very hard to find (bogus) reasons to dishonor the promotion in my case.