Dormia Mattress / Bad product, bad service, no recourse

Having bought a Dormia Mattress in Dec 2008 and trying to get service since March 2008, I am quiet distressed. Now I find they are in Chaper 11, so as I see it I have no recourse. I am stuck with an inferior mattress, which we are currently using on the floor because it is worse on the inferior "platform".

There is one glitch in this matter! We took advantage of the 12 month, same as cash offer and to date still owe $1300 on this disaster. Are we within our rights to stop paying? I think so!

Va

Comments

• Wi
      8th of Aug, 2008

they have 5 unresponded complaints at the BBB

14th of Nov, 2008

My wife and I have had this bed for one year and have not paid a cent as of yet.. We are doing the two year deferred payment option. We can not believe the quality of this mattress is so bad.. It sags and creates a hole your stuck in, no back support what’s so ever.. We learned that the company is going into Chapter 11 and we wanted to fight the credit dispute and not pay a freegin cent for this piece of crap.. My friends.. I am in a agreement with you... Is there any way to fight this thing??

Gary

14th of Nov, 2008

Dormia Mattress ... for like $1600..
    Junk... back hurts all the time.. no sleep...

DORMIA MATTRESS:

Gary

• Ca
      21st of Nov, 2008

I have had mine for 11 months. Same situation as others, hole in the middle, no support, no response from customer service. Purchased "18 months same as cash". I have filled out a dispute form with the credit company.( info found on back of the credit approval paperwork). I am not optimistic, but taking some action makes me feel better. In the meantime, I have turned my mattress upside down, with a thick mattress pad, in an attempt to get some support. I know it's crazy but I didn't want to kiss off $3, 000. So far it has worked ...

• Br
      16th of Dec, 2008

My wife and I purchased our mattress at SLEEPY'S and were told this mattress was the top of the line for quality and warranty and was a deal for $3800.00. We tried to buy a cheaper mattress when we had problems but we could only up-grade to this one.
    One month of sleeping on it we started having problems with sagging and support. We got no satisfaction from SLEEPY'S and are now stuck with it. We purchased a topper for it but it still sucks.
    If there is another recourse please let us know.

• Do
      5th of Mar, 2009

MY WIFE & I PURCHASED THE DORMIA "IMAGINATION" QUEEN SIZE ADJUSTABLE BED IN 10/08 WITH THE EXTENDED PAYMENT PLAN. COST $3000.00. THE MOTORS WENT BAD DURING OUR WARENTEE PERIOD, YET THEY REFUSED TO SEND SOMEONE OUT TO REPAIR IT. THEY ARE IN DEFAULT OF THEIR WARENTEE & DEFRAUDED ALL OF US WHO MADE OUR PURCHASE AFTER THEY FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY. THIS WAS VERY MISLEADING & WAS FRAUDULENT BY ALL ASPECTS OF THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES. THE NEW FINANCE COMPANY WHO TOOK OVER THEIR RECIEVABLES SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DORMIAS ACTIONS IN THIS REGARD. AS THEY SHOULD ASSUME ALL LIABILITY FOR ASSUMING THEIR TRANSACTIONS. I WILL CERTAINLY NOT PAY THE BALANCE OF THE LOAN AS WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ILLEGAL METHOD IN WHICH THEY DID BUSINESS WITH ALL OF US DECEIVED CUSTOMERS. HAD WE KNOWN THEY WERE IN BANKRUPTCY I WOULDN`T HAVE MADE THE PURCHASE.

30th of Mar, 2009

Purchased the Dormia Radiance in Dec 2007, and within 6 months it was sagging; 9 months and my back hurt so bad I couldn't sleep in it any more. I suspect they knew they were going bankrupt and deliberately lowered quality - there is a huge rash of complaints in the timeframe we've all been screwed in. Of course the warranty isn't being honored: "no proof of a problem". Smells like fraud.

• Re
      22nd of May, 2009

We purchased the 3 piece Dormia ‘Ambrosia’ king size mattress set from the vendor Sleep Savvy with their assurances that it was a high quality product. The mattress proved to be inferior, the Dormia firm proved to be disreputable and Sleep Savvy proved to be unresponsive after having misled us. The mattress quickly formed deep impressions with a high ridge in the middle making it uncomfortable and difficult to sleep anywhere other than in the depressions. Then the Dormia 25 year warranty proved not to be worth the paper it is written on as they made it very difficult to make a claim, changed the rules after we followed all of the extensive directions and finally ignored the legitimacy of the claim and just refused to honor it. Sleep Savvy in the mean time doesn’t return phone calls, rejects emails and is unresponsive to mailed inquiries. We have gone to some expense (besides the initial substantial cost) and considerable effort to honestly and fairly present our experience and seek remedy, with all of it being well documented, but have simply been frustrated by the intentional ‘blocks’ and insincerity given us in response. I only wish there was an opportunity for arbitration as I am sure that any neutral and objective third party would make a favorable determination. [Full and extensive documentation is available, including all that was sent to Dormia Mattresses / Classic Sleep Products, 8214 Wellmoor Court, Jessup, MD 20794 and including copies of all correspondence with both companies] After our experience I strongly suspect that any complimentary postings seen are just from insiders trying to offset the numerous honest complaints.

• Du
      26th of Jul, 2009

same complaints as the others for us as well, purchased from a store that was going out of business here in illinois in june 2006, by december 2006 the bed was already "indented" with our body molds where we sleep. There are noticeable dips in the bed on both sides where we sleep, we've rotated it, but it doesnt help. I think we paid around $1600, the store was going out of business and told us it was normally $3500 so we thought we were getting a deal. Biggest piece of crap mattress I have ever seen. I was going to contact dormia and see what recourse we had, but from what everyone is saying, they're filing chapter 11 so probably wont have much luck.

• Sc
      23rd of Sep, 2009

FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC AND ATTORNEY GENERAL!!!

We have had the same experience as so many of you have noted - extreme wear within three months of use and deplorable customer service. They finally approved our warranty claim on 9/22/09 (over a year since the initial claim), but are saying that we have to pay shipping and handling for the new mattress that they will drop-ship to us. The mattress we purchased is discontinued and the one they are offering as a replacement is not of “equal or greater value” as the warranty says.

We have been working with the BBB, but they cannot provide any real recourse. They suggested I call the Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Protection (410-528-8662). I have also filed a complaint with the FTC (who won’t settle individual complaints). I certainly feel that we can make a case for deceptive advertising as many of the online descriptions note that Dormia mattresses “Never sags or needs turning” which is obviously a lie. Maybe if we all do it we can make some headway.

• Sc
      23rd of Sep, 2009

The FTC website is: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

• Hu
      10th of Oct, 2009

Purchased a Dormia mattress about 3 years ago - have a huge, sagging dip in each side where we sleep. I've started developing SERIOUS back problems. Paid a lot of money for this mattress so I feel like we're stuck with it. Apparently, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Why don't consumers have any protection from companies like this? Seems they're allowed to rip people off, do what they want, and then go hide behind bankruptcy rules.

24th of Feb, 2010

Do not buy Dormia. They do not honor warranties.

I bought a Dormia Radiance in 2008 with a 10 year full warranty, 15 year additional prorated. In 9 months I had terrible back pain from a pit in the bed, that immediately disappeared when I stayed in a hotel. Pain reappeared the night I came back. Warranty claim denied: insufficient evidence.

• Ho
      25th of Feb, 2010

My problems are similar to the other complaints, I can add a few new ones. I purchased a Queen adjustable. The bed they shipped was a wired type and it should have been remote cont. The split type mattress had a big spot on the bottom that looked like it had been wet. They actually picked up in 2 wks. these products. On delivery and pick-up the delivery man noticed that the new mattress did not weigh as much as the one they were picking up. On inspection the new mattress (same model) was about 6" Less thick We called the store. We were told it would be replaced. We had the defective mattress about 2wks waiting for pick-up when we found a new problem. Using the adjustable bed the split top mattress would separate at the top further and further, one night my wife rolled over to the edge and there was nothing under the mattress, she fell off the bed. She wasn't injured but it really scared her. Three days later she had a Stroke, we think it was related. We called the store wanting to know when they were going to get the exchange taken care of and told them the new problem. They admitted they had a few problems with the mattress separating. I said I wanted them to pick up the adjustable bed and change mattresses to a standard with a normal Box springs. They agreed. The manager wanted me to try a different mattress, if I didn't like it I could go back to what I ordered originally (not adjustable) I said OK. They delivered the new mattress and forgot the box springs . I called the store, they said to keep the adjustable frame and use the new mattress to see if I liked it. OK--Three days later I went to see the Manager and told him I did not like the test mattress. He said he would ship me the mattress I wanted with matching box springs and pick up the Adjustable frame and mattress.Issue me a credit and re bill for the new merchandise. He made out a work order for the new items. Delivery in 10 days. Two wks. then 3wks. went by no delivery, they were having trouble with the delivery co. I was told. I gave up sent a fax. to the manager to cancel entire order, pick up the defective and mismatched set, and issue full credit. The manager said he was sorry for all the problems that I had and he would take care of it. A week later I called he said some changes were taking place in the Co. and they were moving the store. I was to call back in a few days, and he would let me know on the pick-up. When I called back the store was closed. I called another store to get them to handle it and they refused. No pick up was ever made, no credit was ever given. I also was on the 24 Mo no payment plan. I have paid no money, I have filled in writing all disputes with Dormia, their credit co. and two different collection agencies they have given it too. One of the collections agencies reported it to the credit bureau, which is illegal for for any account that has been disputed, The bill was $4700.00 This weak I received a letter from one of the collection agencies saying they would settle for $2350.00 I called and talked to them. I said thank you for the offer but no thanks. I do not have the merchandise you are billing me for and what I do have was defective. It should have been picked up and my bill should be Zero. They said they would refer the information to Dormia and I wouldn't hear from them again. I have no idea what they will do . There merchandise is in storage, because you can't use a flat mattress with an adjustable frame.

17th of Sep, 2010

I read everyone's stories and have the same one! I just found out about their bankruptcy. We purchased our mattress in 2007 with a 2 year same as cash credit and we fulfilled our obligation. I did file a complaint with the FTC but wonder how we can all file a class action lawsuit even though the company has filed bankruptcy and sold??

• It
      18th of Jan, 2011

MY GOD! How can we file a class action suit? This was to be the best mattress, that was guaranteed not to sag with the greatest memory foam. I cannot believe that this turned out to be such a farce with no strength in their warranty. My back is killing me and I am pissed. I do not know where to start going after them. They don't respond to anything.

• Je
      22nd of Jan, 2011

bought this mattress in 2006. I hate it!! we paid cash for it and was told it was top of the line. Now we slide to the middle in a deep crevice and you can hardly move out of it. I feel we were cheated and would love to do something about it but feel we have no recourse since we paid for it totally. I did not know about their bankruptcy until today. Is there anyting we can do?
    jeri

• Oh
      20th of Jun, 2011

My mother pruchased a Dormia and paid cash. She had bone cancer and was looking for a comfortable bed. They broke it setting it up, and returned. It has the wireless remote. The matress is HORRIBLY uncomfortable and now none of the controls work. We suspect the "box" but alas...there is nowhere to get parts, nor anyone to repair. What a hunk of junk at a BIG ticket price!

29th of Aug, 2012

We should all get our money back. This bed is not the best, definitely the worst. It feels like the mattress has hardened and gives the worst pressure points. Any suggestions?