Dooney & Bourke / Bad service

1 1 Regent StreetNorwood, CO, United States Review updated:

I was once a loyal customer of yours. I would like to let you all no how unprofessional Dooney and Bourke really is. I ordered three of your bags on the 10th of this month and was told I would receive my order in about three days. Then I called to confirm on the 15th and I was told that my order was here and waiting to be shipped and that I should be receiving my order on the 18th. On the 18th I waited for my order which never came, so I called again and suddenly my order was backed ordered when I was blatantly told that my order was ready. I spoke to a supervisor who was nonchalant of the situation and told me that I wouldn't be receiving anything. Your company could of at least contacted me and let me no of this ordeal, not even a email was sent to me. I will never order from your company ever again, and I will tell whomever I associate with not to wear your brand either. I have spent lots of money with your company which I really regret.

Va

Comments

• Ey
      23rd of Oct, 2009

I not only agree that customer service is horrible at Dooney and Bourke, but their products are also sub-par. I purchased a small, red, patent leather chiara bag in late 2008 as a Christmas present. It was a lovely bag and I got many compliments. Unfortunately only a few months after I began using the bag the leather began to peel away from the bottom of the bag. I have friends who have also purchased Dooney and Bourke bags only to have them also fail in a very short period of time.

I returned the bag and got a company credit. A few months later I purchased a leather, calf luna bag for my mother. There was a $50 difference in the bag prices ($295 for the chiara bag and $245 for the luna bag) and I simply assumed I would retain that $50 credit. I called customer service in October and was told, no, I had simply lost that credit and I had needed to order a second item at the time I ordered the Luna bag. I was shocked to hear this as when I ordered the luna bag the representative never told me of this restriction.

Dooney and Bourke got a free $50 from me, but I will never purchase another Dooney and Bourke product for myself or as a gift. They not only have sub-par products but horrid customer service and return policies.

• Ro
      24th of Mar, 2018

@eyelandhopper eyelandhopper- theleather on my Raiders crossbody started peeling after 3 or 4 months, too! I was moving to another state, butatthetime they provided a lifetime warranty. Isent in my purse, they received it after a few days, ...and when I called aftera few weeks, ...THEY HAD NO RECORD OF IT BEING DELIVERED...thank goodness I kept a copy of of the shipping label! Itwaseventually returned to me, in a grocery bag, WITH NO NOTE, UNREPAIRED...I posted the video on FB, and filed a complaint with the BBB...I finally got a free shippinglabel from them to re-ship...1 year later...and am waiting for it to be returned...fingers crossed...thisis my first and last dooney purchase. LESSON LEARNED.

• Be
      22nd of Jun, 2010

I completely agree with how bad, terrible and unprofessional the customer service is at Dooney and Burke. I have a pending order at the moment. Someone called me yesterday to say my Visa was declined. I confirmed with Visa and was told that there was nothing wrong and no record of any declined purchase. So I gave this information to customer service and had said they would run it through again and call me back in one hour. End of day came and no one called back. I tried to reach them today only to be told that no one was available and that they would call me back (again) and that it would be flagged as "priority". The office is now closed and guess what...no one called me back!

I find this unacceptable and very unprofessional way in dealing with customers. The person I spoke to last even said her job is make sure someone helps me. Where is that someone???? Everytime I call, no seems to be able to help me!

I'm so furstrated with this, so I agree that NO ONE SHOULD EVER BUY DOONEY AND BOURKE products!! All you have to deal with is a lot of headache and frustration. Their products are not worth all the hassle!!

• Ce
      30th of Jan, 2017

@Beth R. I dealt with the same thing!! I ordered a bag & it never came. I called 2 times and was promised a call back. NO CALL AT ALL. Soo..I called again today & now they tell me the bag is out of stock. Meanwhile while it's still on website. They girl who could care less said that D& B is slow with updating website. Hmm...interesting. They seemed to have no problem putting the bag I ordered on sale. Then a few days later raised it 50$.
    I am extremely disappointed & disgusted with this Company. And..they don't let "bad reviews" on their website. They false advertise & have TERRIBLE Customer Service!! STAY AWAY!!!

• Ms
      30th of Aug, 2010

I agree with you all. Dooney Bourke Customer Service SUCKS!!! I have been a long time customer and have recommended their bags to many. However, earlier this year I brought a medium leather bag and the matching wallet which cost me around $500. Very satisfied with my purchase until I noticed only after a few months the the leather on the handle and at the bottom of the bag was peeling...Very surprised because I never had a problem with their bags in the past. Anyway I let it slide until one day the strap on my bag broke!! My bag almost fell onto the tracks. I fixed it back myself but to no avail because a few days later it broke again. I went to their store to try and exchange it, but was told that I have to mail it back myself. This inconvenience cost me time and $18. A week later I receive a letter staing that I must contact them within 30 days to request to have the strap replaced at no cost but $7.50 for shipping, or received a credit of $197.50 to go towards the purchase of an item $349 or more. THe Nerve of Them!!! First of all I paid about $365 for the bag and to replace the strap is actually costing me $24.50!!! I just know they lost a loyal customer and intend to spread the word to everyone I know of how horrible they are after they've gotten your money!!! (Might even start Facebook Page for people who hate Dooney & Bourke) ;#

• Ce
      30th of Jan, 2017

@Ms Sickandtiredofbadbusiness You should start a FB page. Because they are thieves!! And they false advertise along with HORRIBLE customer service.
    Bottom line...they don't care about the customer. We are just dollar signs. !!!

• Mb
      29th of May, 2018

@Ms Sickandtiredofbadbusiness Please do. I'll be your charter member. This is the exact scenario that I'm in right now. I'll never invest that much money for a sub par product.

• Wo
      18th of Dec, 2010

I will not order from Dooney & Bourke again either. On November 5th I ordered a Margot crossbody and was surprised when a week later I received a very large, very yellow Nina bag from them. When I checked my phone messages sure enough there was a message from them letting me know that UPS delivery confirmation showed I received an order from them that day but they realized they sent me someone else's order because that customer had called them to report that they recieved my Margot bag. The invoices inside the box were correct but someone at Dooney had switched the mailing labels. The message told me that I should have the box I received sealed and set out for the UPS man to pick up the next day. The UPS man showed up right away the next morning because I'm sure Dooney was worried I would use that Nina bag. Too bad they had no consideration for getting my order to me. Not even an I'm sorry for the inconvenience. After their mistake it took another month for my Margot bag to be delivered even though I called a few times to check and talked to their rude, could care less operators in Customer Service. I wasn't planning to order from them again but couldn't pass up a Twelve Days of Christmas half price special last week. The bag I ordered on special arrived today and I couldn't believe it when I opened the box. It is a medium calf pocket bag and is the size of a briefcase! Who measures their bags for them??? It is listed as 12 x 9 1/2. I got a tape measure and laying flat from side to side it measures 16 x 14 1/2! I was so upset I called them and told them they sent me the wrong bag and they needed to have UPS pick it up. I got another sarcastic could care less customer service lady who said "we don't do pickups" and if I didn't like it I should mail it back. Also she is sure I got the right bag - she said the Medium Pocket is a very large bag. Then why is is listed as 12 x 9? She tried to tell me how they measure the bags but none of what she said made any sense. My margot bag size is listed accurately but some of the bag measurements are way way off. I don't understand this.
    I haven't had any problems with quality of these bags but just the rudeness and attitudes of the employees at Dooney will keep me away.

• Do
      26th of Jul, 2011

I won't ever buy Dooney again. I have a huge purse collection. I use each bag for about 1 week a year. I now have 2 coated cotton Dooney bags that have bubbles all over them and Dooney refuses to stand behind them. Those that think Dooney stands behind their bags, obviously haven't ever had a problem. The first bag was about 3 years old when I contacted Dooney cs. They had me mail it in, at my own expense. Of course they "couldn't fix" the bag and offered me a credit that was half the bags value. Which I could have accepted. Had then not required I spend that same amount as well. I had just bought a $300 bag. I didn't want to spend anything right now. So I had the now piece of trash, sent back to me. Now this summer, I pull out my Miami bag to not only find it full of bubbles, but also discolored. It was once black, it is now gray. My mother noticed immediately. So I am not just being nitpicky. I emailed Dooney and got the same generic response. I called Dooney and demanded a supervisor. basically the deal is if your bag was purchased more than 1 year ago, doesn't matter if you only used it one day, they do not stand behind it. They did not care they were losing a customer, they did not care they are selling defective bags. Therefore I say to you all don't buy Dooney, unless you plan to beat the heck out of it in the first year, and then you will feel you got your moneys worth. So disappointing!

• Ba
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

It interesting seeing all this complaints as I am currently going through similar issues. I bought a kristen tote red bag from Dooney and within the 1st month of purchase the color was running on all my clothing. I emailed Dooney as to who will incur costs of return as I am non resident in the US no responsewell as relaying the issue with the bag . I have now returned the bag but Dooney say the problem cannot be fixed as it is now out of warranty? I have not asked for a new bag just to fix the underlying issue and it is clear they do not want to accept that the bag has been substandard produced and are offering half the price of the bag but I have to use the credit to buy another bag!! I have said I want the same bag and Im prepared to buy it with the credit and put more money towards it, Dooney have said bag not available and I can chose another bag, they are clearly not prepared to give me my money back. This is one of the worst customer service experiences I have had!!!

• Ba
      28th of Sep, 2011

Do not buy the Dooney and Bourke Florentine Satchel which they are advertising as the IT bag. After using it only twice the zip on the bag has spoilt. Right now in a tug of war on getting my money back. Dooney actually are shamefully offering a repair rather than the bag being replaced or my money back on a bag less than 2 weeks old???!!! Their excuse bag was not bought directly from them so they would repair it rather than replace. Dooney should not give US designers a bad name by calling them selves designers and a luxury brand!! To attain that status you need to deliver a full package - confidently standing behind the quality of your brand and great customer .service - both of which you fail at!!

• Do
      28th of Sep, 2011

Baghog, since your bag is only 2 weeks old can you return it to the store?. Unfortunately I couldn't do so with my bags, but my cousin has had 3 defective dooney bags and had better luck returning them to the department stores. Apparently department stores stand behind what they sell, but dooney doesn't stand behind their own product. I would have been happy with a repair to my bags but dooney refused to even offer me that. Disgusting business practices.

• Up
      5th of May, 2012

I am very disappointed in D&B's service. I sent in my watch band for their trade-in-program and it took OVER 2 months to send me the new one. When I finally got after calling several time it turned out to be the wrong one. They sent me the correct one without charging me twice but to my billing address not the address I requested. It has been a huge hassle to get my new watch straps. BEWARE!

8th of Jul, 2014

Called and spoke with Kathy about a repair she was rude and impatient. I had to drag every answer out of her. asked how do i get my bag repaired ? answered "you send it in ATTN REPAIRS" Thats great...can l have an address????? 3-4 days just to look at the bag then they send a letter with your estimate?!?!?!?!?!?!? no phone, call a letter then they take 4-8 weeks to repair. Ridiculous. This will be my last Dooney purchase.

• Un
      12th of Aug, 2014

I had a similar experience with customer service. I purchased an ostrich wallet which looked washed out and worn after 14 months. I received a letter stating that I could get an $85.00 discount if I spent $170.00 on a new product. I informed customer service that they are not addressing the defective product that I returned. The rep kept stating that this is their policy. I will not buy another product from this company.

• Co
      7th of Nov, 2014

I returned a defective Dooney and was told something different every time I called! When I received replacement, leather was scratched and something spilled on it. Sent back and was going to order another new bag in red that they said was coming in...now they are not going to make it in red. No one seems to know what is going on! Their old bags are much better quality! Customer service is one of the worst I have ever seen! Now I have to wait another 2-4 weeks for something "they say" will be coming in...really????

• St
      14th of Jan, 2015

wow i should have read all this before i decided to purchase a dooney and bourke wallet. I placed an order for a Samba zip clutch online for$118 and paid $18.00 extra for 2 day express delivery. That was done on Dec 31st 2014 Today is Jan 14th and i have received nothing. I have made countless calls and no answer. I can't even get to speak with a repesentative. I have sent out emails and still no response. So at this point when i go online and check my status it still says order being processed. Usually when i order from sites i get an update about my purchase and they would let me know that my order has been shipped and will arrive soon etc. Of course the money for this order came out promptly from my Credit Card. And i am sitting here waiting, wondering if this was a bogus site, but i checked with my Credit card company and the site was legitimate. So now i wonder how long do i have to wait, do i get back my express delivery charge credited to my account, and am i even getting this purchase? How frustrating.

• St
      16th of Jan, 2015

so ok i must recant my statement made on the 14th. Today (jan 16th) and i received my wallet purchased from dooney and bourke. I absolutely love it. So it took about two weeks to get here but i am still pleased that i received it. I guess my only issue is that they don't send out updates as do other sites, about your package. so i had to guess when this package would arrive. all in all, the wallet was worth the wait.

• Th
      21st of May, 2015

I agree the customer service is really bad, they never sent out notifications and you have to call in order to find out if the order has shipped...otherwise I Love all my Dooney and Bourke products, so far, no complaints...Love my new bag...

• Ml
      28th of Sep, 2015

I agree - terrible customer service! I ordered a purse for a graduation gift for my daughter on Aug 22. They sent me a confirmation of my order with a note that the purse had still not been shipped. I contacted them again on Sept 14 to ask about the status of the purse. The next day I received notice of a charge to my American Express - but no reply from Dooney & Bourke regarding the shipping status. Since I never received any reply, I contacted them on Sept 29 by phone (over a month from the original order!) and was told that the colour I chose was no longer available and that I could either choose a new colour or cancel the order. I regularly purchase items from many reputable sites - but will no longer purchase anything from Dooney & Bourke (in store or on their site).

17th of Dec, 2015

I bought a beautiful D&B purse while on a magical vacation at Disney World. Within 3 months of normal use, my strap broke and the corners of my purse were missing color. I sent my purse into D&B to be fixed. After about 6 weeks, I received my purse back, unfixed and with zero paperwork of any kind explaining what care was taken. My husband called their customer service and they didn't offer any apologies. They told him to send the purse back to them and they would give us a credit for the amount we paid (minus taxes, of course, and once again shipping is on my dime) to be used toward another D&B purse. Really? That's an ironclad Dooney guarantee? I wanted my purse fixed! It was the one thing I bought for myself to remember a once in a lifetime trip. My advice, don't buy their products unless you're ok with no guarantee!

• Se
      22nd of Dec, 2015

I ordered a bag for Christmas for my wife on the 11th. Never received a shipping conformation. First time I called the service line said they were too busy to take ANY calls. Second time I got through after 25 min. and they told me that the shipping label was just created. this is on the 22nd. I really doubt it will make it from Connecticut to California for Christmas. Also I was charged CA sales tax but the company and shipment is out of Connecticut. I asked a service agent and they said there was nothing they could do. I am very disappointed with this company. I will probably return the bag when it arrives just out of principle.

• Me
      25th of Dec, 2015

Several recent purchases from Dooney have all been disappointing. Top that with the worst return policy, horrible website for descriptions and returns, and poor customer service. I may have just bought my last Dooney bag.

First of all, the website is one of the worst I have seen. Descriptions are lacking in detail. Lining for a couple of the bags I bought recently were of CHEAP VINYL!!! This from a Dooney bag? But in the description, they are always vague or don't specify this. Quality of the bags have really deteriorated. Also, you can't zoom in on the pictures! They seem to be trying to hide flaws or imperfections. And the colors on the website are not an accurate representation of the colors. Twice I have had to return because the color is so dull and cheap-looking. Also, I hate that in their reviews, the grey stars are very misleading!!! One star in gray looks just like the five stars. And worse still, they have moderated my negative reviews -- they never even posted them. What a load of crock.

Then of course, the return policy. Why won't they allow returns ate their stores?!!! And no free returns?!!! Even just processing the returns online, I come across several website issues. They really make it difficult to process returns.
    And forget about calling or even emailing CS. Good luck with that. You will get a standard "sorry we are busy" email and then get a response a month later. What a joke.

Even just resetting password from the website is a task. Never got a reset password email as promised. Overall one of the most disappointing and frustrating purchase experiences I have ever encountered. Save yourselves the aggravation--stay away from Dooney products.

• Ll
      6th of Jan, 2016

I ordered several purses from Dooney and Bourke and 3 weeks later I still didn't have my order. So I called them and they said my order had been cancelled, which it had not, and I would have to reorder everything. They never called me to tell me there was a problem to begin with. I was on the phone for 2 hours trying to get it straightened out. At the end of the conversation the lady informed me she had found my original order! They said they would ship it express. Three weeks later, I still didn't have my order. I called Dooney back again and they said part of my order had been cancelled and some of it was out of stock. It was out of stock because by the time they reordered all of it, they had sold out the purses that I had originally ordered. So after another two hours my order was placed again! Two or three weeks later I received my order which was still not the correct order. So I had to do an "easy" return which was a nightmare. I finally just paid to ship back an incorrect, late order. I assume they will not give me credit for the postage. This has been the most frustrating purchase I have ever experienced!!!