Debt Settlement USA / Greedy and dishonest company will take your money and do NOTHING for you. BEWARE!

1 16430 N. Scottsdale Rd. Suite 400Scottsdale, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-230-3301

In a time of dire financial crisis and coming to the point where my credit card bills were becoming very difficult to pay, I turned to Debt Settlement USA for help. I was told to stop paying my creditors and start paying the company $811 a month and deceived into believing that they would get my creditors to stop calling me and to enter into low, desirable settlements on my credit card balances. In the reality, they took my money, but never provided any services to me. The creditor calls were incessant, and anytime I had a question or concern it took multiple phone calls and messages left before I could get a response from my "negotiator." Several times, I resorted to calling the "customer service" department or the original person I had spoke with when signing up in order to get a response from anyone. I was never informed of what, if any, conversations or actions had taken place on my behalf, and have no reason to believe that any actually did.

One time a local legal firm who had acquired one of my accounts managed to get ahold of me (it was a local number so I assumed it was a client and answered the call). I was informed that they had never been contacted by Debt Settlement USA and that they were not surprised--they had had other cases where the defendant thought they were being "represented" by this company only to find out later that nothing was being done on their behalf. I dumped thousands of dollars into this company and now all I have to show for it is a ruined credit report, non-stop creditor calls, and pending lawsuits.

When I enrolled in the program, my representative (i.e. salesperson) informed me that if the program ever became more than we could afford to keep up with, we always had the option to get out of it and request our money back. He failed to mention that if I did that, all I would get is a rude, condescending answer that it was my fault the program failed (I stopped paying their fees after 7 months when nothing had happened for us in that time). He said they had done a large amount of work with my accounts and that I was not entitled to any refund--even though I never saw any decrease in creditor contact, never was offered or even asked if I could afford any settlements, and never received any contact from the company without fervent effort on my own part.

I'm now in the process of trying to save up for a bankruptcy lawer and get caught up on late mortgage payments so that I can file for bankruptcy and put a stop to the lawsuits that this company has brought up on me--something that would be easily paid for with a refund of the $5677.21 of fees that they are holding for all the "work" that they did not do on my behalf. In summary, stay FAR away from Debt Settlement USA. They run a greedy and deceitful operation and have no intention or desire to help you with your financial situation, and when they cause more problems than they solve, they are unwilling to work with you and make things right. I sincerely hope that this post helps someone else avoid the financial and emotional turmoil that working this company can create.

Ka

Comments

• To
      18th of Nov, 2008

Kate,

My story is exactly as yours with this company !

This was a total scam that has caused me a huge amount of pain.

I would encourage others who are reading this post NOT to do business with Debt Settlement USA or for that matter other debt settlement companies.

Best of luck, I am also trying to get a refund.

• Lb
      20th of Nov, 2008

Ditto! I had same experience. That company is a joke. The creditors were relentless in calling me. I was getting served with papers (lawsuits) from my creditors. This company did absolutely NOTHING for me. After 4 months and over $2, 000, I pulled out of the program and contacted my creditors myself. One creditor said she contacted this company as directed and never received a call back. They never returned calls. Whenever I called my "negotiator" I was told she was out sick! This is a cheesy company with one universal phone number. The "legal department" phone number is the same as all the other "departments". They also refused to give me a refund. I could kick myself for giving them a cent! The good news is that I've managed to settle some of my accounts on my own-some have actually settled for half! This company is a rip-off, we can actually "negotiate" ourselves! I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Has anyone else?

• Fr
      19th of Dec, 2008

My name is Fred Hirsch. I am a manager at a prelitigation agency. We have tried for months to try to negotiate in good faith with this company. They have NEVER resolved an account with our office.

Our clients see this fact. Debt buyers all share this information. They see that Debt Settlement USA does not handle any of the accounts with any serious intent. Instead, the creditors are forced to seek litigation. All Debt Settlement USA does is send a cease and desist letter so that you get no calls. Then they abuse collectors HOPING to get them to break the law.

Please, for your own good, do not use Debt Settlement USA. Either negotiate with your creditors or use a reputable agency.

Good luck

• Ti
      5th of Jan, 2009

I agree I work for a collections agency that collects on purchased accounts... I recently had a conversation with a rep there who instead of discussing the debt or a possible resolution, took the time to belittle me try to get me to break the law instead... he threatened me with an attorney general complaint. This company is bad news. Unfortunately, this company makes alot of money from people who are suckered into the scam. **** heres a tip from a collector that has been doing this for almost a decade, you can settle these accounts yourself, there are good collectors out there... but don't get me wrong there are alot of bad collectors out there. If you call a collections agency with money available instead of a what would be considered a stall, you WILL receive a better conversation with that collector. I wish everyone the best of luck with the accounts and hope they can negotiate calmly and respectfully. Thanks

• Jm
      11th of Feb, 2009

I am in total agreement with everything I have read so far. I signed up with Debt Settlement USA in 2006, following a divorce and medical retirement from my profession. I would never have done anything like this unless I was in serious need of help. To cut to the chase, Debt Settlement USA collected their fee and then I had several different "negotiators" who seemed to be clueless most of the time, did not return phone calls and were not doing their job. Needless to say I called and asked for a refund, was told that was not a possibility. The one account that has been settled was by ME and it was for less than half of what was owed. There should be some type of class-action law suit that people such as ourselves can file against this lame outfit.

I can be reached at tude3572@yahoo.com for any one who may be interested in finding out what we can do to get our money back.

• Vi
      1st of Mar, 2009

Folks--believe me--I negotiated my self out of nearly 1/2 a million dollars of unsecured debt--for less that 50-60% on the dollar--some tips--never give out your home phone number or work number to a creditor--never send settlement money to a creditor without a letter in writing stating that the credit line will show "paid as agreed' or similar wording.. Be prepared to spend many many hours on the phone and writing letters in defense of your cause, and never let them know where you truly stand financially. You will be victorious--I had a 750 credit score back within 2 years

• Ds
      3rd of Jul, 2009

Biggest mistake of my life was enrolling with this scam company. They are taking advantage of people in a desperate situation, telling them what they want to hear just to enroll them. The creditor calls do not stop. The "negotiating" they do is mainly with you to stop complaining about their inactivity. It would be more productive and cheaper to negotiate with your creditors directly. Most companies have collection guideline they follow based on aging, they don't do anything special when dealing this company. This company is simply playing the same waiting game you would have to in order to settle the debt. Between Debt Settlements fee and interest added and late fees based on the "advise" of Debt Settlement to stop paying on my bills, I ended up paying more to settle my debt.

• Gi
      11th of Mar, 2010

its funny how people believe everything a debt collector tells them (u forget debt collection is a filthy business & debt collectors work on salary and commission and they are trained to say things like, that company never contact us ...or you'll go to jail if you do not pay ...or will take your cars and home away if you don't pay) ... ...that's where people make their first mistake...

their second mistake is moving to fast with a debt settlement company, people you got to slow down and research research research...look heavily into accreditation and ratings and try doing a search of the company with the world scam or rip off next to it etc... you'll be surprised what you might learn...that's all i got to say ... i don't work for debt settlement USA but i hated when a company as such gives good settlement company a bad name or even worse when a half ### none educated customer comes along and cry's foul for his own lack of understanding of how things work, like, being ignorant to all of the disclaimers and quickly nodding & brushing vital information aside without writing a single thing or looking into a single thing...

• Jr
      6th of May, 2010

I am an attorney representing a bankruptcy trustee in a consumer protection lawsuit against Debt Settlement USA. We are interested in any information you might have that would be admissible at trial.

I may be contacted at:

1830 15th Street
    Sacramento, CA 95811

• Ds
      7th of Aug, 2010

Debt Settlement USA is a scam plain and simple. They convinced my mother that they would settle her debt for pennies on the dollar and would give her a full refund if she was unhappy with their service.

After two years of inactivity on their part, we decided to get our money back. The woman on the phone claimed to be the lead negotiator of DSUSA and told me that we would never get our money back and she was 'doing us a favor' by even talking to us on the phone.

It is also interesting to note that in the last two years, everyone that my mother originally dealt with at DSUSA is gone; And it appears they now have two inept Black women that run the phones and stonewall the customers.

Needless to say, we have hired an attorney and will seek damages for fraud. They misrepresented themselves on a number of issues, in addition to using the BBB logo on their site when they weren't even members of the bureau.

It's class action lawsuit time my friends!!!

• Au
      3rd of Sep, 2010

This is the [censor] of the earth company. They took 6000.00 of my money in the most desperate lean time of my life, they did NOTHING for me and I settled my own accounts. I have a court date to settle yet another case where the lawyer put a lien on my house. STAY AWAY FROM DEBT SETTLEMENT USA!!! THEY WILL NEVER RETURN YOUR CALLS! They will talk BS to you as long as you are activly paying them, you will NEVER hear from them again once you pay in full. I think we should have a class action suit against them as well. This is the kind of people that would rob their own mother and father.

• De

Company information:
    Debt Settlement USA
    Macomb, Michigan
    Phone: 586-949-0231

I also regrettably got sucked into their debt settlement program in 2006 . I paid over $14, 000.00 in upfront fees. I settled 3 accounts on my own. They settled four. I am still fighting to get a refund of my money. Thus far, I have been trying to get the Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox to help me, but it doesn't seem like he has done much - simply sends my letters on to DSUSA and then sends me their replies.

I only had one negotiator (Carla Cannon) who seemed to try to actually settle accounts. I can't remember how many different negotiators they would give me. Always someone new who did not know anything about my situation. Very, very frustrating and what a painful experience this has been.

I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I guest I need to go back on their website to see if they have done anything. I know that there are tons of complaints filed with them against Debt Settlement USA.

I am so glad I discovered this website while searching for information to send to they Michigan Attorney General. Thanks.

• De
      28th of Sep, 2010

If you are one of the millions of Americans struggling with credit card debt you're certainly not alone. CreditClock.com operates as a Pro-Consumer company, committed to the on-line delivery of do it yourself settlement software. We provide invaluable insider knowledge and a clear understanding of the steps you must take to negotiate your debts direclty. SAVE thousands of dollars from the comfort and security of your home computer!

"Do not fall victim to debt settlement companies that will drain your wallet and leave your more exposed to collection abuses. Aside from stealing your money, there is nothing these so called "debt experts" can do for you that you can not do for yourself!" - Eric Katz, American Consumer