CPSharassing calls to my family

1 Review updated:

these people call my family constantly. I have lost my job and really try to pay payments as soon as i can, but never more than a month late. I will be sitting i my front room with my sister and aunt and there phones will ring, it is cps, I will not get a call. I think this is unfair and harassing. I have asked them to stop harassing my family but they just say these people are your contacts and we need to get through to you. I just want it to stop not only is it embarassing but my family wants it to stop. What can I do?

Comments

• Ju
      May 12, 2010

Just because someone falls on hard times does not mean they are acting like a child or being unapproachable. It is not the fault of the family when someone refuses to pay a debt. I am getting the same harassing calls because my sister doesn't pay her car payments on time and I have called the supervisors and managers to no avail. Maybe if they would have called these so-called personal references before they gave my sister the loan I could have told them she wouldn't pay it.

• La
      May 12, 2010

Please don't listen to the rude comments of others first of all. Secondly, you have rights even if you owe debts. If you have asked them to quit calling you and they wont - you do have rights. Thirdly, just because you have fallen on hard times doesn't mean that it gives companies an open right to harass you.

You will need to calmly let them know that you understand what your rights are and that they are breaking the law. I understand that they can be obnoxious and rude but you will need to be the bigger person here. You need to educate yourself regarding this matter as it will empower you.

You can send the creditor a Certified letter requesting that they cease all communication with you under the terms of the Fair Credit Collection Practices Act. They are not allowed to contact you before 8 am or after 9 pm. They are not allowed to contact your neighbors, friends, aunts, uncles, etc. Again, educate yourself regarding the Fair Credit Collection Practices Act. Document all of your conversations, log phone calls, etc. If it continues then you have the right to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Good Luck in your life ventures. Don't let this get this down - life will get better for you. :)