CORA LLC / Non payment

1 Trenton, NJ, US Review updated:

I have been employed with CORA for 3 months. In that time, I have seen people bullied publicly and worked nearly to death. Most or perhaps all of the people employed are disabled and these people are taunted, treated with hostility and generally mismanaged by a host of clowns that Ringling Bros couldn't have thought up. Also, I have not been paid in 6 weeks and when I was paid, it was very little. I heard that most of the people working here either had not been paid or were paid so little, it wasn't worth mentioning. After begging for several days because of lack of food and medication, one person received a check for $7.00. I also heard that a person was unable to buy their cancer medications because of CORA's non-payment. Maybe the rest of this is rumors but I know I haven't been paid and I wonder why not. Isn't CORA getting government assistance from the Vet's administration and the local voc. rehabs? Where does that money go? It certainly doesn't go to pay staff or at least I haven't seen what I am owed.

I am unsure what to do about this but want someone to tell me who should hear about this. Even though I work here, I'm really not working so I think they should be shut down for treating people this way.

An

Comments

• Co
      Aug 20, 2009

I truly believe in the original mission & purpose of Cora, LLC – and still do to this day, even though I am no longer there. I too am very upset by the matters occurring within the company. When I first started I thought it was going to be great to be able to have a little extra money in my pocket to help meet the needs of my family. I spent money to create my office space, and had internet service hooked up – and where did my investment go? Nowhere… it left me further behind in my bills and struggling even harder to survive. It took time away from my family and they became upset when I had nothing to show for it in the form of a paycheck. Most people believe that when you get a job and go to work – you get paid – and you shouldn’t have to ask and beg for your paycheck. It is something you are legally entitled to especially when you have signed agreements and contracts to work for the employer. I find it disturbing to think that the CEO of this company seems to think that “no employer owes you a living” - and they can’t seem to understand why people are so upset and making such negative comments. People are upset because they believed they would have a job and get paid on a weekly basis as in outlined on Cora LLC’s payroll/timecard policy statement, and are told during the interview process. Instead people end up being faced with having to beg for their checks and sending in emails crying hardship and destitution to the payroll department- and many of them have gone unheard – as I have spoken to one individual who is owed over $2017 in paychecks, and another is owed at least $1000, for more than two months of work – they sent in emails – and no one has gotten back to them. Oh and another thing – the CEO had the dandiest of ideas to post the employee’s name of who would be issued a check for the week on the company dashboard – what a great way to breed more hostility amongst the employees, as some would get upset because their name was not on the dashboard, and end up bad mouthing their co-worker receiving a check, no matter how big or small that check was.
    I really don’t want to get into a tangent here and start “bashing” the company – truthfully I really loved it there – but could no longer tolerate the poisonous atmosphere being generated by the fact very few have gotten their checks. It truly is an awful and sad situation for so many great and talented people that have worked there and still work there. I have been wondering about a comment though in the past few days and that is the comment by the CEO written in words across the internal company dashboard… “Your actions have made me realize, my dream will not be accomplished as I once thought.”… Does the CEO expect people to work for free and not abide by the contractual obligations as set forth and advertised through the vocational rehabilitation agencies across this country? I don’t think these agencies have been told the truth as to why they have paid the $3500 fee per person to be “hired” by this company. If they knew they were paying that amount of money to help one person accomplish their “dream” they would be mad too… The “dream” is a great idea, but people need their paychecks.
    My final message here … if you find yourself in the position where you are completely frustrated by Cora LLC, and need some help and don’t know where to turn, I believe I can find help you find the help you need. Don’t become a victim by what has happened here, be strong, and become a survivor… please feel free to email me at [protected]@rocketmail.com . Thank you.

• Tr
      Aug 24, 2009
    CORA LLC - Cruel Treatment of Disabled Employees
    CORA LLC
    New Jersey

This is my take on CORA, as someone who lived through it. It is my opinion of the reality of CORA. This company claims to help the disabled by training them for work and placing them in jobs that they can do from home. It is a wonderful idea and a great path for any company, however CORA is mismanaged and it damages the employees terribly. In my time at CORA, I observed management speaking to these disabled people in cruel and unprofessional language. I observed them blaiming brand new employees for the failures of the company in a financial sense. I observed the CEO put down all of the disabled employees and bash them openly, damaging their already low self-esteem. I listened as the CEO threatened us all with termination on a regular basis, told us she expected us to "volunteer" and work without pay, and I listened as she gruoped disabled indeviduals under descriminatory and cruel catagories. We were told we were lucky just to have a place to work. we were told that the CEO was "sick of babying all of you just because you are disabled" and she also made the comment that, "you should be grateful for CORA just giving you a job." Currently, employees are still wiatting for paychecks from as far back as June, and though we are getting a check here and there, we have been instructed to send emails to the payroll department, begging to be paid. We were told to outline any hardships we had, and that they would then decide who would be paid, how much, and when. They monitored our email and when an employee purchased undergarments with her pay, they made fun of her in front of hundreds of employees at a company meeting. So many of these employees are injured war vets, the deaf or blind, and many many other types of disabled peoples. Many were only looking for some meaning in their lives, and searching for a reason to get up in the morning. Instead, they got blaim and ridicule and cruel treatment. Others, like myself, really needed jobs to help our families to survive. We worked, and we gave it our best, but we were cussed at, made fun of, and ultimately either not paid for our work at all...or paid weeks and weeks late. Later, we were all layed off. I can't understand why the government pays thousands of dollars to CORA and their CEO. CORA gets thousands of dollars for each disabled person they take on, and then they treat them horribly and dump them once payment is complete. That is only my opinion, take it or leave it. Also, many many good managers work at CORA. Nice folks who want to work hard and help others, and they were kind and helpful to the employees. Unfortunetly, their influence is small, and it is washed away by the hurtful treatment poured out by the CEO and others.

Sep 15, 2009

For those that don't know, my name is Candy M. and I am not ashamed to put my name here. I resigned my position with CORA for the following reasons taken directly off my resignation letter:

"I am writing this letter to inform you of my decision to resign my position with C.O.R.A.. and hence tendering my resignation.

After more than 6 months working with this company, things have not been up to my expectations and I feel it is time for me to look for other opportunities.

I believe that working in any organization involves a mutually beneficial relationship that requires the worker performing at his/her best and the company providing a happy and productive work environment for its employees. Unfortunately, that has not been the case with me. I have had issues with the inefficient, rushed, and disorganized training on a daily basis from the very beginning. I have noted my concerns in written form and through discussions with various members of management. Promises of degreed teachers and mentoring have not happened. Promises of 30-day, 60-day, 90-day reviews have never happened. Promises of permanent, part-time and full-time employment have not happened. Promises of 100's of jobs have not happened.

Employees were told not to contact their VR counselors with any company problems. My concern would be that if employees followed the rules and chain-of-command with their company concerns and nothing is satisfactorily resolved, they should have the option to speak to their VR counselors without any fear of reprimand or termination.

Payroll delays, payroll checks being returned for insufficient funds and management going back on their word in regards to reimbursing employees bank charges because of those delays are one of my many reasons for resigning.

I have performed my job exceptionally, given the chaotic and often little amount of training received. I have never been written up or in any way told I was not performing my job well. When I brought up the payroll issues and advised that I would be unable to work until I received all checks owed to me and that they have cleared the bank, suddenly my "work" quality came into play. If there were any concerns with my "work" quality, they should've been mentioned and addressed well before me bringing up the payroll issues.

I would like to stress that I did my best to familiarize myself with the work culture in the organization and make myself a good team player. In the end, I conclude that staying longer is not a win-win solution. Because of the issues mentioned above, I feel that I am in a hostile work environment and cannot continue to be a productive employee and am tendering my resignation effective June 23, 2017.

If some of the words here in any way have caused any inconvenience to you, I regret and apologize, but I tried to write with all honesty."

The complaints that have been posted here are valid and can be backed-up with documentation.

Stop playing the blame game IMS/CORA! Pay your employees and stop blaming them for CORA's problems. Accept responsibility and provide the training, mentoring, and job placement (whether directly or indirectly) you promised your employees and their VR/VA counselors.

I sincerely hope you turn this around and "listen" to the suggestions you've been given. CORA had a real opportunity to make a difference in our lives and we have been let down. Honesty and kindness would've gone a long way in this situation. May God bless all the past/current furloughed employees of CORA.

Sep 17, 2009

CURRENT/FURLOUGHED/TERMINATED/RESIGNED EMPLOYEES OF CORA!
    We have started a support site for CORA Survivors and you are welcome!
    We look forward to seeing you there.

Nov 01, 2009

Just wanted to let CORA survivors; past, current, and future know that we have a new website community set-up that will allow you to vent, communicate, share, laugh and cry with others that share common-grounds. Share your stories, share your life, share your future...all are welcome!

Nov 01, 2009

• Bo
      Dec 28, 2009
    CORA LLC - PEOPLE STILL WAITING FOR CHECKS
    CORA LLC
    New Jersey

FOR THOSE THAT WORKED FOR CORA, LLC a/k/a Creating Opportunities by Recognizing Abilities, OR YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT WORKED THERE – IF YOU ARE STILL OWED MONEY AND HAVE NOT FILED A CLAIM FOR YOUR BACK DUE WAGES YOU CAN FILE YOU CLAIM BY SENDING THE FOLLOWING FORM TO THE NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF LABOR…

THE SAME WOULD APPLY TO THOSE THAT EVEN WORKED AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR ALSO. THERE IS LOTS OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE ABOUT HOW EMPLOYEES ARE MISCLASSIFIED AS INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, AND HERE GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING FROM THE IRS JUST TO GET STARTED…

AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE WORRIED ABOUT W2’S OR 1099’S ETC – IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE ANYTHING FROM CORA, OR IF THE FORMS YOU RECEIVE ARE INCORRECT FILE THIS…

NOW FOR THOSE THAT ARE AFRAID OF BEING LABELLED AS A TROUBLEMAKER, OR IF YOU FEEL THE RELATIONSHIP YOU HAD WITH CORA TURNED SOUR BECAUSE IT WAS YOUR OWN FAULT… THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT FEEL THAT WAY. AND AS IT TURNS OUT IF YOU HAVE COME ACROSS THIS INFORMATION BEFORE…

AND IF YOU WERE WONDERING WHAT IT WAS ABOUT. YOU CAN REGISTER FOR PACER FOR FREE TO VIEW THE RECORDS AT 8 CENTS PER PAGE.

(you will be billed later by Pacer for the records you viewed, not at the time you view them and I accrued less than $10 in charges)

I READ THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS REGARDING THE CASE AND IT WAS SHOCKING – YET VERY WELL WORTH THE 8 CENT PER PAGE COST - EVEN THOUGH I WAS SO APPALLED BY WHAT I READ & CRIED FOR DAYS!!! I HAD TO ACCEPT AFTER READING THE DOCUMENTS, THE TIME I INVESTED INTO CORA TO TRY AND MAKE IT WORK WAS FOR NOTHING OTHER THAN TO LINE SOMEONE ELSE’S POCKETS.
    IF YOU STILL DOUBT THE FACTS – CALL THE NJ DOL YOURSELF AND VERIFY JUST HOW MANY CLAIMS HAVE BEEN FILED ON THIS COMPANY. READ THE COURT RECORDS ABOUT THE LAWSUIT THE CEO HAD FILED ON HER IN 2017. ASK THE NJ DOL IF THE CEO HAS RESPONDED TO THEM – IT HAS BEEN REPORTED THEY THE NJ DOL HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT THE CEO SEVERAL TIMES AND THERE IS NO RESPONSE. JUST LIKE THE REPORTS OF MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE SENT EMAILS TO THE COMPANY WONDERING WHEN THEY WILL BE PAID – THERE ARE NO ANSWERS THERE EITHER, IT’S LIKE EMAILS JUST ENTER INTO A BLACK HOLE. THERE HAVE BEEN ONLY FALSE PROMISES OF WEEKLY UPDATES ABOUT THE PAYROLL SITUATION LIKE THE ONE SENT OUT BY THE CEO ON NOVEMBER 2ND 2017 WHERE IT STATED - We will continue to issue weekly updates such as this. THERE HAVE BEEN NO WEEKLY UPDATES.
    IN THE END, BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF RESPONSE FROM THIS COMPANY, AND FAILURE TO USE PROPER COMMUNICATION SKILLS THE CEO HAD BURIED THE COMPANY INTO DEEPER DEBT BECAUSE THE CHARGES FOR THE PENALITIES BY NOT RESPONDING TO THE NJ DOL ARE WAY MORE THAN WHAT IS OWED IN BACKWAGES TO THE PEOPLE. THIS JUST PROVES THAT THE CEO IS NOT THE BUSINESS PERSON THEY CLAIM TO BE…

HOW COME IT SAYS THE WORD “SUBCONTRACTED” INSTEAD OF “SENIOR MANAGEMENT TURNAROUND CONSULTANT”?

• Ka
      Feb 10, 2010

Hello,
    My name is Karen S and I live in Ohio and I started working for CORA In January of 2017. I thought that this was a beginning to a bad time from being disabled and my hopes were high for a great future with CORA, but that was not the case. We were put through more humiliation and inexcusable verbal abuse that I have never had in the real world working 3 different jobs at once and for over39 years of service I was never intimidated as we all were at CORA in only my 6 months employment. It only seemed to make our disabilities worse, by making us feel inadequate and stupid, we were treated like we had no brains and the CEO was the only one whom had any at all. After the furlough I sat back and thought about all of us and what had happened and I became furious about this because CORA made and told us that she was sent people whom were unable to work by the Vocational Rehabilitation Services which was totally wrong and disrespectful of all of her employees.
    I have worked in management myself and we were all used to changes but working for CORA we had changes everyday and it was always our faults for not doing the work right that we were taught. The problem lied in the fact that the processes were not thoroughly thought through, we worked on making a CORA manual for newcomers and then the golden oldies were laid off and told we were not as good and the new employees.
    I am glad it is over with, but I want to tell Neil Romano that if he is still for CORA, we need to find someone in the government to back us up and find us jobs that we have lost. To believe that government officials were working with CORA and then finding out that the Vocational Rehabilitation Services were also totally screwed for paying $3500 for a contract per each employee and that was never fulfilled my question is this ?
    Who do we trust in helping the disabled find legitimate work and support all of us in an efffort to regain a normal life in work at home positions, that we were all looking forward to getting and being productive as we were with CORA.
    All the turmoil and suffering each of us has been through by working for CORA, is not helping the goverment get back on their feet if we cannot find employment thru work at home jobs, and before we enter into any others it should be definitely clear that all is above board and we will have a stable postions for the company. We want to work and need to work like all of the unemployed, but I was told we would be the last to find work and that is legally an unfair act. We are proud to be Americans and as the CEO stated at CORA. We want to STAND UP AND BE HEARD! WE ARE IN AMERICA FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
    I would like to take this opportunity to tell all my fellow employees that I miss working with them we had a GREAT team and no matter what teams we were put into the employees gave more than 150% and all worked in harmony and I would be proud to work with them again.
    I feel that CORA must pay all the employees she took on and that have not been paid regardless of how she feels about the work we did that to her was not worthy of pay. We did our jobs and we are entitled to get paid for work done. NO EXCUSES! I have been paid and I feel bad about the ones that have not because I still get e-mails from some of them and the terrifiying fears of losing all they have because of it.
    We need to get the goverment involved and to back us up and get us back on the map of employment and not be told we will be the last to get jobs.

CORA needs to be closed down and any other companies with the same ideas !
    We may be in a recession but the people whom really depend on salaries are not just the people whom are able to go out and work it is also and most importantly the DISABLED.