Carmike Cinemas / Discriminatory approach

1 Seattle, WA, United States

On 11/18/2016 at 3:00 I and my friend wanted to watch the movie “Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them” in Sundance cinema theater, Seattle, WA.

As requested at the entrance of the cinema theatre we showed our IDs, but we were not allowed to enter. Local manager told us that he cannot accept our IDs as they are not valid to him:
- The manager said that the rules says, that valid ID of US citizen should be presented or we should show the passport. He said, that this is the rule from WA state liquor office;
- I tried to explain, that the mentioned rules indicate the requirements for IDs, which are: ID must be valid, there should be a face photo, date of birth and signature;
- All the above mentioned requirements are fulfilled in the presented ID. In addition the presented ID is legal valid document to identify the person under the laws of Lithuania, where we came from;
- I also explained that I never had a problem of buying with my ID anything at liquor stores in Seattle. In addition, I am 35 years old and it is obvious, that I am older than 21.
The manager argued that the presented ID is not issued in US and he will not allow watching the movie. He also refused to make a clarifying call to liquors licensing office or do anything else. He was not helpful at all.

The whole conversation was really unpleasant, Friday afternoon was ruined. Even if the law prohibits me of watching the movie (which is not the case), then at least the behavior of the manager was far from pleasant.

At the moment only one thing is in my head – are all foreigners treated in such a discriminatory manner at Seattle Sundance Theater or we just came on the day, when manager was in a bad mood?

In addition, there is not possible to submit the review in their site.

Ev