Big Cat Rescue / deceptive business practices

1 Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:

The owner of big cat rescue corp. uses deceptive business practices to draw in donations and slander the competition. She uses an alternate website called www.911animalabuse.com where she slanders anyone that is in the same business as she is. She hides the business ownership but you can easily tell that she owns the site because when you make reports about big cat rescue on the site they are pulled down immediately but you can slander any other animals business on there and they will leave it up so long as it hurts those businesses and not big cat rescue corp. These questions go unanswered to why she can claim rescues that aren't rescues and collect donations. Why she can claim she is an accredited sanctuary when she exhibits animals which is against "TAOS" standards. TAOS is not a government org. which means little to know to most sanctuaries anyway. And her slanderous and downright criminal behavior and business practices when it comes to others in the same field of work. Someone needs to do a story about her and how she's capable of getting away with making millions off of these animals and the backs of other sanctuaries whom she slanders on her www.911animalabuse.com website.

Comments

• Wr
      30th of Jun, 2009
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

I've tangled with her while doing a story on another cat rescue that she was trying to bury. My research indicated that she and a couple others were guilty of the same and worse that she was accusing the other rescue of. When my article didn't support her, she began harassing me. When I blocked her, she began stalking me on social media sites and sending messages that way. This woman is dangerous (look up the rumors online; much info!) and a menace to the rescue business. Legitimate rescues have nothing good to say about her.

• Bi
      11th of Aug, 2009

Exactly the opposite is true. Big Cat Rescue is trying to end the abuse and abandonment of big cats and our opponents only tactic is to try and discredit our good name. There is no way to justify what they do so this sort of libelous slander is the only devise left to them. Find out the truth about Big Cat Rescue by checking with real accrediting agencies such as the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, Guidestar and Charity Navigator. A visit to our own web site will tell you all about our past and our evolution. BigCatRescue.org

12th of Oct, 2009

Yep Big Cat Rescue is a sham. You only have to ask a legit rescue about them and you will see they are no better than any road side zoo.

• So
      9th of Jan, 2010

Some of these claims are absolutely ridiculous! Big Cat Rescue is a premiere organization. The animals are so well cared for, so loved, completely on view for anyone to see their care. It's unfortunate that malcontents try to discredit such a wonderful sanctuary.

• Wa
      19th of Jan, 2010

You got the "premier" part right.

They are premier in the sense that they spend top dollar advertising and getting user donations.

And also these animals are well cared for in order to get emotional saps to donate to their cause.

Want more proof? Go here and read the commentary.

10th of Apr, 2010

Copy this link and see the truth about big cat rescue! What a sham. And to be able on tv to say duh we were the pet trade and they really made less of a deal than it really is you lied about where you got your cats and you admit it well my old biz was selling big cats so i rescued those under the blanket corp of big cat rescue and then collected donations to pay for my pets and you suckers fell for it. Anyone who donates to this place is a boob!

26th of Sep, 2010

Big Cat Rescue is a scam, I did a real investigation on it, live video, photos and have all the real documents located at www.911animalabuse.org and trust me this place is a pit hole.

26th of Sep, 2010

If anyone belives the hype that she cares about animals you are blind, read the proof, you will be shocked,

• Bi
      7th of Sep, 2011

Big cat rescue owned by Carol Baskins goes after many other facilities and falsely accuse them of acts of animal abuse that she herself does. She has had 118 cats died (that we know of) at her facility and it has been proven that she has taken the dead to a taxidermist to be skinned. She lies about how they died (one tiger was strangled to death during transport but she said that it died from cancer). She is still collecting money for several of the animals that are now dead. She is also collecting money for animals that she is not getting. I have seen picture of skinny, malnourished cats living in tiny, rusty, weakly made cages that are never cleaned out (except for what the poop stick can reach). She collects millions of dollars for the cats but then spend it on things such as big diners and parties. She then attacks other facilities for taking in donations that are actually used for their animals and not for their own selfish wants. I hope that people will start seeing the light and stop supporting her. I also hope that she is shut down and her animals are sent to a better facility, or someone more qualified takes over there after she is thrown in jail.

• Bl
      8th of Apr, 2013

I just wanted to let you know that I contacted BCR through their Facebook page and asked some questions. Simple ones like, can you tell me how many of your animals were purchased as opposed to how many were rescued? I asked about the misleading story on their website about a cougar they got from IL (my home state) where the story insinuated that they rushed up to IL and rescued these two mountain lions (cougars, pumas) because a man was killed by a pet lion and his wife killed herself. Their story made it sound like she killed herself the same date as she found him and that the animals were in terrible shape. This was far from the truth. I live in IL and the woman died much later than the incident with her husband and the cougar they insinuate they saved was not the one who killed the man at all - he was shot by local law enforcement the day of the man's death. Almost within minutes someone claiming they were "not affiliated with BCR" responded to my questions with links to info on the BCR website and stated all of the false info out there was from one or two people who hated BCR's owner. When I posted links to two separate stories done by two Tampa news agencies there were no more posts. I did not think anything of it and went to bed. When I woke up this morning I checked to see if there had been any more posts. Much to my surprise, all of the posts including my original questions and the responses from "someone not affiliated with BCR" were completely gone. Now that sounds even more suspicious to me. If they are indeed false accusations, why would they not publicly refute them? If there was some truth, an honest organization would simply set the record straight on what was true and what was not. We are extremely disappointed as we had planned to travel to FL to take our daughter to BCR believing them to be a true rescue and sanctuary. Now, we have no choice but to understand this is not true and will not be making the trip.

6th of Nov, 2013

That's because Big Cat Rescue has political power. In with some of the largest places like PETA places that kill animals and collect donations and do very little actual rescue work. Just juice the dogs and toss them into the garbage cans behind the animal rescue's. Majority of the cats there are purchases. Which I wouldn't have a problem with until you claim you rescued them from horrid conditions. The cages there are disgusting place smells of urine and feces. "supposedly because they don't go in the cages to clean" near impossible to not go in and have a clean cage. The wire is all rusty water bowls full of algae it's more of a concentration camp then a rescue. There are places that set the standards and this isn't one of them. Anyways i'd go to some real rescues with real needs.

• Sl
      7th of Jul, 2014

BCR is horrid and should be shut down! They are backing amendments to ban hybrid cats! First, she and her laughable rescue of big cats, which is just a front for fraudulently misuse donations, so she can enjoy a high flying lifestyle. I have seen her enclosures, and they look cheap. It seems to me that with the donations, they should better care of their big cats! Why does she just admit that this is her personal zoo! She wants to ban all hybrid cats throughout the country starting with Florida and California. This horrid women, refuses to grandfather the hybrids adopted or purchased before her ban, if it passes, early generations 1-3. These she wants in sanctuaries for cats or euthanized. She basically wants to commit genocide on hybrid cats! Her fellow sponsors wants to use California early generation hybrid cats as their own salad bar, and kill the rest! What kind of organization that loves animals does that? Savannahs and Bengals make wonderful pets, and I think since they look exotic people think they must be wild. BCR takes advantage of this, and uses propaganda to further their cause. Anyone that believes that lying murdering whore is stupid. She has no morals or ethics .

• Su
      28th of Mar, 2016

I have seen the size of the cages the animals live in and they are just that a cage. They are not free to roam to be healthy in any way. There is no life to live for ay animal. Someone who has to put down others to make themselves look better is hiding something. That's all there is to it.