BBG Communication London / Phone call with credit card

1 Victoria, Australia Review updated:

I was in Singapore Changi Airport and using my credit card to call my girlfriend in China for about 10 minutes. And I was charged more than AUD30.00 for the call. This is completely ###!! What kind of service is this!! Felt like swearing about this!!

St

Comments

• La
      7th of Aug, 2008

I made a telephone call to Australia from Paris which lasted between 5-10mins and I have received my credit card account with a $A101.63 + $4.50 conversion fee. I wasn't given a choice of telephone carrier. This was the service offered by the hotel we stayed at. We have been ripped off!

• Ar
      9th of Aug, 2008

I have exactly the same experience. I also called my family in Sydney on 3 Aug from Changi Airport, Singapore. I did not buy the phone card thinking that that might be expensive as I might not have used up all the credits in the phone card. So preferred to use my Gold Visa Card. Just checked the account and to my surprise the total bill charged to my account is about A$140. Talk time would have been hardly 15-20 minutes. These telephone companies donot display the calling rate, so you will never be able to know how much they are going to charge. Airport authorities should make it mandatory for the telecom companies to display their calling rates otherwise many more passengers will be ripped off in future like us.

• Su
      11th of Aug, 2008

Exactly the same. The Hotel(in Paris) had a card for 'direct calling' in the room. I assumed that the Hotel would have vetted the company. It cost $200 for several calls, the total time for all would have been less than 10 minutes. The Hotel now has expressed surprise at my complaint. It, of course, has nothing to do with them. This is fraud.

• Ro
      21st of Aug, 2008

I have never been riped off so badly in my life, before I used BBG! everyone sould know about this company and never, never use their services!

• Bi
      24th of Aug, 2008

I used the pay phone in Singapore Changi airport to make a few calls to India. I wouldn't have talked for more than 3 -5 minutes in any of the calls. I had been robbed off by this telephone company called 'BBG Communications'.

They charged me 48.97 AUD for the first call and 30.53 each for the other two calls to India! What a rip-off!!

I will never ever use the payphones in Singapore Changi Airport with my credit card!!! Is there any forum to complain about it?

• Lu
      26th of Aug, 2008

I completely agree. These phones need to show how much they are charging per minute or better yet, I would be happier if there was a huge boycott of these phones. I called the US from Beijing on Aug, 21st 2008 and I am just starting to see the fees. I did not call for more than 5 minutes either but I have just received a fee for 36 US dollars and I am afraid more will be coming. These fees are outlandish when we have skype technology nowadays.

• Ba
      30th of Aug, 2008

I had a similar experience at Singapore airport. AU$20 for less than 60 seconds. No information either in the booth or over the phone about the call costs. This is considered criminal in many countries.

I have called Florida from Australia for less than AU$5 for a ½ hour call!!

I am contacting the Airport to complain and make suggestions, even make demands about putting up waring signs on each phone. But I bet they are in on it with commissions!! I have contacted a company called BBG Communications in the UK and demanded a refund. I suggest ALL of you do the same. Email the Airports/hotels etc and keep pestering them, AND email BBG and demand your money back, threatening legal and media action if not.

These people need stopping and authorities and big business (hotels airports etc) will not act unless many of us stand up and make a noise.

Go for it!!! Now!!!

• Ra
      31st of Aug, 2008

Absolutely agree, I was at Melbourne airport my flight was delayed and I called my wife to make changes to connecting flights in the USA. The first call was less than a minute, long enough to leave a message and I was charged $35.78. In all for four calls I was charged in the vicinity of $250.00. Does anyone know how to contact BBG communications, I have e-mailed them through their contact on the website but their details are very limited.

• Pc
      1st of Sep, 2008

Shocked to see so many complaints about this mob.

Made a series of 1-2 minutes whilst at a resort in Bali and noticed the charges on my statement almost 3 weeks later (last week) for the amount of $50AUD each per call - total number of transactions, 7 for a total of $360AUD!

Have sent an email to my bank and they will be investigating. I've also sent an email of complaint to the company demanding a refund but yes the details seem obscure and I don't fancy my chance of getting a quick reply for some reason.

If anyone else who is trying to get this matter resolved wants to provide an update or want to know what I am doing feel free to email me.

• Sh
      1st of Sep, 2008

I have also found a couple of outragous charges on my CC. I made a call from KL Airport to a mobile in China. The call couldn't have been more than 10 mins. I did think that the call charges might be more expensive than my home phone, but I never expected that much more. I have been charged $51.43 & $51.46 AUD. I am sure I only made the 1 call.

I have just got back to Australia and will dispute the charge with my CC company. To be honest, I can't remember if there were call charges displayed on the phone, but I am heading back next week so will check the phone out again.

There are so many complaints websites that BBG is coming up on. It looks like this is happening for quite a while, all around the world. Not sure how we will go getting money back, but you never know if you don't give it a go!!

• Aa
      2nd of Sep, 2008

I have exactly the same experience. I also called my family in China on 31 July from Changi Airport, Singapore. I did not buy the phone card thinking that that might be expensive as I might not have used up all the credits in the phone card. So preferred to use my Gold Visa Card. Just checked the account and to my surprise the total bill charged to my account is about US$80. Talk time would have been hardly 2-3 minutes. ###!! ###!!!

• De
      3rd of Sep, 2008

One more victim here. I just made two calls in changqi airport and BBG charged me abt AU$80. The bill shows that on the day I made the calls they charged me $1 each. After 3 days they charged me two amount again, both of them are abt AU$40 something. I will contact my CC company to see wether they can help me or not.

• Ro
      7th of Oct, 2008

I used the card 3 times for 1-5 minutes each time. Charges $23.81, $16.70 and $7.22 USD. Calling from a hawaii payphone local to another hawaii location (same area code). I informed my CC company that the charges were not authorized and they are cancelling my card and paying for the bill.

• Mi
      15th of Oct, 2008

I was in Spain and (like everyone) had no choice from my room. The hotel (Marriott brand) did not sell calling cards. Anyone who thinks the hotel (or airport) is not only aware, but getting a cut is insane... we all just need to get the word out. we got back from vaca a month ago, were charged and TODAY they tried to charge AGAIN!!!

16th of Oct, 2008

Sounds like the same old thing but I was in Changi Airport over a month ago and today I was just charged $A36.75 on my credit card for a call that didn't even connect! That's the last time I slide anything of mine through an asian slot you pommy ###!!!

• Re
      22nd of Oct, 2008

Just got back from a business trip to Jamaica. Called home to South Carolina twice to talk to my daughter. Each call less than 2 minutes - one charged $33 the other $35. Then last night I get a call from fraud protection at my bank that BBG is trying to process even more charges to my account!!! Complete and total BS!!! I've printed off about 50 pages of complaints on this company that I found on line to take to my back and ask that the charges not be paid and file fraud complaints on this company.

• Li
      6th of Nov, 2008

I was charged AUD$25 for a 1-2minute quick phone call at Changi Airport to my boyfriends SINGAPORE sim card - just to see where abouts he was. Thank God I didn't call anybody back home to let them know I had arrived in Singapore safely, I dread to think how much I would have been charged! BBG are a complete rip off...

• Gr
      9th of Nov, 2008

I'm another sucker. Mada a call from LAX airport to my son in New Orleans for about 3-5 minutes. Ripped off for AUD35.00 by a company BBG Communications in UK. Cheaper to get Global Roaming with Telstra. Next time I'll send a smoke signal.

• Mi
      10th of Nov, 2008

I am another victim of BBG Communication rip-off. This time being an unsuspecting visitor I purchsed a sim card for 10 pounds from a vending machine at an international airport in London. The sim card was a popular and legal phone provider but what I didn't know at the time (and how would a visitor know) that this legal phone provider DO NOT put their sim cards into vending machines. Everything about the package looked legitimate. I activated the card but when I went to top up with my credit card it wouldn't accept it on both occasions. When I checked my credit card statement whilst still overseas I had been charged by these rip-off merchants for a total of $AUD176 AND I hadn't even spoken to anyone by phone. I have since been in contact with my bank and they are investigating these low life. I have also informed the legal phone company and they are holding their own investigation and hopefully will put notices on the vending machines. In the meantime, don't let these people get away with these rip-offs, try everything to get your money back, don't give up. Keep complaining, hopefully eventually justice will be done. Thank you

• Am
      11th of Nov, 2008

I'm another victim of BBG Comm at Changi Airport. I have used credit cards for over 20 years but always tried not to use it outside Australia. On 27/10/2008 my flight was delayed and I was desperate to inform my family. I could not find any place at Changi airport to buy a phone card so reluctantly used my Visa card. I was suspicious of not seeing any call rates displayed but thought scam has no place at one of the best airport in the world. My call was 2 short sentences of less than 30 seconds and a few days later my Visa statement showed BBG Comm. charging me 2 transactions totalling of over AUD $28! This bad experience will further deter people to use credit cards while travelling. I would blame Changi Airport's management for allowing this to happen for so long and to so many people as I would only use my Visa card because I thought it is safe to do so at Changi!!!