Americas Best Value Inn & Suites / violation of federal ada

1 1990 East Rees Street, Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, LA, United States

I attempted to check in to the America's Best Value Inn, located at 1990 E, Rees Street, Breaux Bridge, LA 70517 on 12/31/2018. (New Year's Eve.) The hotel appeared to be mostly empty. A foreigner (young man likely in early 20's) quoted me a rate and showed me a room (102) close to the office. I agreed to rent the room and he took my driver's license and credit card. After he copied them, I noticed a "no pets" sign hanging on the wall. I mentioned that I have a "licensed, registered, Service Dog". He wanted to see documentation, (which is a violation of law--see below), but I readily produced, it anyway. He was satisfied with my proof, but still refused to rent me the agree upon room and tried to switch me to a different, less desirable, room. The ADA requires EQUAL ACCESS to Americans with disabilities and his refusal to rent me that room ... when it had previously been offered, violated my EQUAL ACCESS to that room, which he would rent to someone without a disability. I asked to speak with the manager, and he produced an older foreigner, who likewise refused to offer me the previously offered room. These foreigners (Iraqi? Iranian? Or whatever they are) feel they can thumb their noses at our laws. They seem to think they can be lawless here, as they are in their own countries. I recommend that this motel be dropped from the America's Best Value Inn group. I intend to file a legal claim with the US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, and ask that they be convicted, and deported.

I produced:
"Heidi"--Registered Service Dog
Your final number is [protected].

Section § 35.136 Service animals part "f" of the Americans with Disabilities Act says:
(f) Inquiries. A public entity shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person's disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public entity may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public entity shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public entity may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person's wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability.
Law states: "When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff (or members of the public) may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person's disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task."
What is a Service Dog?
The United States Department of Justice defines a Service Animal through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal specifically trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If an animal meets this definition, it is considered a Service Animal regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government. Please visit the Delta Society for more information on Service Dogs.

Ro