[Resolved] American Roofing And Exteriors / People need to be protected from companies like these

1 El Paso, TX, United States Review updated:

This company is charging us a $600 cancellation fee for a contract that we did not agree to. There are two places to sign on the contract one that states that we understand the terms, and another place to agree to the proposal (thus turning it into a contract). We signed to show that we understood the terms of the proposal, but we did not sign in the place that makes the proposal an actual contract. Before signing on the first line, I asked the sales representative if we were bound to the company if we signed. He sai that we were not bound until the last line was signed. When we decided to go with another company (that did the work for the same price, but used higher quality materials, such as 30 weight felt, pricier shingles, and colored flashing), the man became offensive on the phone and said that we were bound by the contract, and that we owe the company 10% of the cost of the roof. We received a bill for $600 from their central office in Missouri. I called to have the situation resolved, to no avail.

What first made me suspicious of the company was that the sales representative did not give us an actual price for the roof. Instead, he just listed insurance proceeds plus deductible. All replacement wood would have been our responsibility as well. Additionally, we were to receive the insurance money in two checks. The first check was in excess of $4, 500, and the man wanted us to simply sign it over to the company, rather than follow the 50% in advance payment that is clearly stated on the contract. He reluctantly said that we could work something out when I expressed my concern.

The list of the 24 disclaimers on the back of the agreement also concerned me. Item 6 states that the company will not be held liable for any damage that they do to the building. Item 8 says that the company will not be held responsible if their equipment breaks up the driveway. Item 9 states that the company can use different materials than those agreed upon, as long as they meet with industry standards. Item 16 releases the company from liability if the roof becomes damaged due to (they may ask that you prove that it wasnt defective in the first place). Item 20 states that they will not guarantee that water will not pool on the roof.

The agreement itself is confusing and misleading with the two separate places to sign. Thus far in my adventures in telling everyone I know about this company, to include 2 police officers (1 sergeant, and 1 white collar crime specialist), 2 high school teachers (1 is a Ph.D.), a mortgage company manager, a title company manager, and 3 representatives from other roofing companies, not one person said that it is a valid contract. I will continue to spread the word. People need to be protected from companies like these!

• Resolution statement

• This is Matt Woods. I am the owner of American Roofing and Exteriors. This complaint is not true and this person posting complaint may call us anytime to discuss. 1-800-766-3161

• To JASJSD: this is Matt Woods of American Roofing and Exteriors. We do not know who Melanie Q is but another happy customer. We are available if you would like to discuss this 800-766-3161. We are an honorable company and an employee posting on this website would not be honorable.

To Burchfield Family: We did have some challegnes complting the work on your home. We have always repsonded to your concerns and performed in a professional matter. The entire process is documented in our database if you would like to review with our company. We are avaiable to discuss this 800-766-3161.

• This is Matt Woods, founder of American Roofing. Its very suspicious that someone is bad mouthing our company but not leaving a name or any information about an issue that would need to be corrected. This sounds like a competitor trying to tarnish a good name.
    If you are a customer, please call 24/7 so this may be discussed and resolved. 800-766-3161.

• Again, this is Matt Woods, the owner. 1-800-766-3161. We have nothing to hide and are available to discuss any concerns from any of our customers. I sure hope the folks reading this thread do thier own homework on our company and do not believe posts by people trying to smear a company but not brave enough to state who is posting.

Va

More American Roofing And Exteriors Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Am
      26th of Aug, 2016

I think it is cute how fervently the owner denies those first comments are made by the same people... 6 by Robert but all signed as different people 4 made by MelanieQ acting like a different customer in each post... I would flag them as fraudulent but I think leaving them reinforces how dishonest this company is.

They will lie about what they do. They will blame you if you disagree with them. They will bully you if you point out any mistakes made. If you do get them to "correct" any mistakes it will only be a substandard patch job that is easily recognizable as trash covering more trash.

Yes, This thread is very representative of this company. No, I will not be leaving my information.

This post isn't made for you to do anything. It is only to warn others.

• Mc
      15th of Sep, 2016

Will I receive an actual bid for cost and materials used? The contract which I have not signed says deductible plus insurance proceeds. My adjuster told me today to please get 3 bids before choosing a contractor.