American Reading Club / Billing Fraud

Cummings, Georgia Redmond, WA, United States Review updated:
Charged by ARC, from fake website. Dispute was made and the bank will contact the company. Left message for the company. Will try again supposedly the letter comes soon and it was an unauthorized phone number.

What else can I do besides contacting the bank, disputing and cancelling charges, and contacting the company. I am a young college student trying to get them back. On the phone I kept trying to tell them no but they kept asking for info. Should I sue as well ? Should I open another card and cancel- they tried to get my debit card number and my bank will flag stop payments as long as it is up to six months in advance. Contacted BBB in Atlanta and filed.

Comments

8th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
After 12 phone calls to them all by general complaint, cutsomer service to all three major heads: Janae, Susie, and Chris. I got to speak to Susie. Susie told me about the company got the information, apologized for the phone call, gave me an immediate refund and stated that I owed nothing because the debit card # said it was pending. On pending if you call to get money back they are required to. After I also told her I filed with FDIC, my bank etc. she closed it down for good. She stated if I had given her the debit after she cleared the check, it would have required a dispute to get the money back, she sternly stated never to give out credit card or debit info, and how to prevent this again. She even removed my phone number and name from her computer. Chris then called and I told him about what happened with Susie. He apologized as well. I should get the refund by the end of 24-48 days.

I ended up lucky thanks to advice on this board- whatever you do never answer an anauthorized call, read all your rights, and register with gov. agencies for future protection. Also try to find the company's business ids online- all companies are required to by BBB and all the ones with complaints are marked on the BBB site in red with contact info. Also request a BBB report on the phone for free that was also how I got the steps to appeal.

Also always check internet creditentials- many of these contest ideas are fake and register you for this stuff. The ARC may not have a website but there is a promo called the Preferred Readers Network- most contests automatically enter you in there and obtain your credit info which was exactly what Chris said. The Preferred Readers Network is owned by ARC's parent company- so be careful! Even Susie warned me about that- fortuntately the ARC complied with me.

Never pay them and check to see if it is pending especially on debit cards. With credit cards- flag them to the company, provide contact info about them to the company, and dispute all charges. On pending they get no money so make sure t0 tell ARC about the rules you read here, mention that it was obtained without permission, and the steps you took. They'll be forced to comply and they rather give that money and your info back to you to avoid further action- a major sign that they are crooks, know exactly what they did was wrong, and the reports against them.

Also ask them to remove your number and never contact you again- when you mean business they'll comply!

Be sure to stay away!

Good luck to you.
  9th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
The company gave me back my money as promised and the phone calls have stopped. Boy did I learn my lesson! Thanks for the tips or else I'd be gone for good!
  11th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Sent a packet though i cancelled. Should i call back ?