Closets by DesignBad business practices

J

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016, Ms. Maria Blank responded to my residence for a consultation reference several installs. I advised her what I needed as far as a master closet, laundry room and garage. I also requested another walk-in-closet and a murphy bed/office room since the consultant was already here. The drawings were done onsite by Ms. Blank and I provided a credit card information for the deposit for the work to be completed. Installation dates were scheduled for Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 9 a.m. sharp for the laundry room and garage. The master closet install was set for Monday, December 19, 2016 at 9 a.m. sharp. The deposit was charged Friday, November 11, 2016, two weeks prior to the first install.

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 9 a.m. I received a no-call/no-show from Closets by Design and I waited till noon to call to inquire reference my install. I spoke to the secretary Ms. Michelle (last name unknown). Ms. Michelle advised that an install supervisor would speak to me and put me on hold for approximately 10 minutes, only to tell me that he would call me five minutes later. An hour went by with no-call and again called the company to inquire reference the no-call/no-show and I was again advised that the Install Supervisor would call me. After another hour departed, I was finally called by the Install Supervisor who stated that my residence was not measured for a second time although done with a digital measuring tape by Ms. Blank and he would be responding to re-measure my residence.

The Install Supervisor arrived and immediately stated that the consultant Ms. Maria Blank failed to do her job to schedule the second measuring. The install supervisor that the Manager advised him to give me 10% off for the miscommunication. I was then scheduled for Monday, November 28, 2016 at 10 a.m. for install. He then took three measurement and left my residence assuring me that the install would be done.
I rescheduled a trip just to lose the entire trip for a measurement that was already completed. Although, peeved, I was not swayed by the situation at that point. Later that night, I then received a call from the owner after hours, apologizing and asking if the Install Supervisor resolved my concerns. I was still optimistic reference the situation nonetheless I decided to proceed against my better judgement.

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 10 a.m., I received another no-call/no-show and I again called the secretary Ms. Michelle who advised me that the time of 10 a.m. was a time window and the installers were finally on their way. The installers arrived and were missing several parts which included the risers for the garage install as I had a metal pole for electricity behind the previous cabinets that I was replacing, the metal end caps for the garage / laundry room shelfs and the laundry room courtesy rod. I provided the risers so my cabinets could be installed and it was then discovered that the doors were cut 6” too small. I was advised that the doors would be re-cut and installed on a later date which I would be advised of by the secretary.

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 1 p.m., I was called by the secretary who advised me that the installer was on his way, although I received no call prior as a heads up. The installer responded and completed the first part of the job. The installer did a great job with his attention to detail, professionalism and I would recommend him personally for any install as a side note.

Fast forward to Monday, December 19, 2016, the day of install for my master closet, my install was delayed due to a truck from North Florida being delayed as advised by a Ms. Yowanya or some name to that effect.
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at approximately 330 p.m., an installer showed up to my house unannounced and I received a call from the secretary asking if anyone was home for an install. Without a moment’s notice, I asked my wife to sacrifice her day after work and immediately respond to the house to have the installer work.
The install was began and 20% of the work was completed before the installer had to leave. I am currently waiting for an install date from the company to complete the job.

I received Thursday, December 22, 2016 at approximately 11:22 p.m., requesting a time to complete the install. After I provided the dates I was available, it was determine that their schedule availability was not a date that would work unless I cancelled my rescheduled trip to meet an installer who may not even show up. I was requested to provide a day for January 2017 after my return that would fit into their scheduled availably today or it would postpone my install for an undetermined amount of time. I was unable to provide a date as I cannot guarantee a return date as weather plays a major factor on my return date.

Given all of this, I have been very patient with Closets by Design to accommodate them for all of the bad business practices. As of received Thursday, December 22, 2016, I am still missing a courtesy rod for the laundry room that was part of my order. I understand that each Closet by Design franchise is independently owned and operated nevertheless there should be a consensus of veracity across the board governed by some type of headquarters. I’ve written this as a learning tool for anyone wanting to use Closet by Design for their home so they can make an informed decision when preparing to spend thousands with a company of this caliber. I have not once requested a discount, an apology for all the time wasted in the days I waited for install nor the ones wasted for bad cuts from the factory for secondary install or even the no show day. I am simply informing anyone looking for a company to research prior to you deposit and make informed decisions.

Bad business practices
Bad business practices

Joseph R. Santoli, Esq. Mar 03, 2019

Closets by Design falsely advertises "sale prices" as their "regular price" at all times. This results in higher regular prices. Plz call my cell: [protected] or pm me on FB if you've used them & paid more than $1, 000. Joseph R. Santoli