British Airwayswrong information given regarding sick relative prior to return journey.

C

Flight From Heathrow returning to Austin Texas 24th September 2015. My father fell very ill during my European holiday. I have broken down the experience to this line of events.. (In Short)

1st call September 13th Me.."Hello I cant be on the flight I am scheduled for because my father is ill and I have to stay here until he is well, can I get credit for the flight and go on a another date?"...
Representative.."Yes, get a letter from the hospital where your father is confirming he is ill and we can do that for you, the credit is valid for a year."
Next day (September 14th) I go to hospital and get letter, and e mailed letter to BA.
Phone call from British Airways the next day...
"Hello, we are really sorry but you were given the wrong information, you dont get credit for a new flight, you have to pay transfer charges."
Me."OK how much is that?"
BA."I dont know, it depends when you want to go, "
Me."I dont know when I want to go, my father s still in hospital."
BA. "We need a date."
Me. Ok so what if I have to change the flight again if hes still not well?"
BA, "You have to pay the charges again.
Me "What charges and how much are they?
BA "I dont know it depends when you want to go.
Me. "How can I agree to charges when I dont know what they are?"
BA ".It depends on when you want to go."
Me."OK, lets say I want to go in 4 weeks time, how much will that be?
BA, I will have to transfer you to the booking department, please hold.
. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Click Silence.
Redial all lines busy
2nd call
Me "Hello I cant be on the flight I am scheduled for because my father is ill and I have to stay here until he is well, can I get credit for the flight and go on a another date?"...
BA. Yes I see you sent in the letter, but we dont give credit, you have to pay the charges"
Me. I know that, I was told. How much are the charges?
BA, It depends when you want to go."
Me. Sigh... How about November 7th? (calculating when Dad will be well enough to leave him)
BA. $200
Me, Thats not too bad. can I book that?
BA. Yes I will transfer you to the booking department.
music music.. click silence.
Redial.. Sorry British Airways lines are closed
3rd call "Hello I cant be on the flight I am scheduled for because my father is ill and I have to stay here until he is well, can I get credit for the flight and go on a another date?"...
BA. "Yes, What date would you like?
Me "November 7th
BA, The charges are $200.
Me, I know, I was quoted that. My father is paying.
BA Is your father there?
Me, " NO my father is in hospital!
BA. "We need to speak to him.
Me. "Do you want me to take the phone into the hospital and get him to speak to you from his hospital bed? Problem is the house phone loses signal when I reach the GATE!
BA. I am sorry but as your father made the original booking we need to speak with him"
Me. "Please explain how the hell I can get my father to speak to you from hospital.?
BA. " I will need to speak to my superior, "
Me, You do that.
Music music
BA. My superior says we need to speak to your father as he owns the card that the booking was made with.
Me."Does it have to be my Dad that pays the charges?
BA." I will have to speak with my superior"
Music music
BA Yes, someone else can pay the charges.
Allebloodylujah!
Flight booked.

BA are not replying to my letters of complaint or even acknowledging them. I spent time getting a letter I didnt need, was told I could have credit but cant, and BA actually asked to speak to my father in Intensive care. I have asked to be upgraded when I fly back on the 7th of November, a small token on their part for all the hassle they have put my family and I through, but they are not responding.

• Ab
    AbbeyT3107 Sep 25, 2015

Hi! I had the exact same problem yesterday my dad is very sick in hospital and BA said 'just get a letter from the doctor and we can hold it for up to one year'. I have spent 5 hours arguing on the phone to get to this stage. I then get a call yesterday saying they might not be able to hold it. Absolutely disgusted with customer service!!! They are calling me back today to discuss this again so who knows what the outcome will be. Do BA not have any compassion at all, sick relative lets keep them on the phone for hours when they should be in the hospital. Thanks BA! This seems to be a regular thing as I am not the only one it seems...you should look into this!!!